SAU Community

Wastegate actuator rod angle, critical?

Blue

Question for those in the know. I have been running through a long electronics upgrade on my track car over the last couple of years. I am finally getting near the end of the tunnel.

One thing I am looking at doing as part of all this is re clocking the compressor housing on my car (GT2860RS turbo) I have never been all that happy with proximity of the discharge to the exhaust manifold. The question for me is, is the angle made between the actuator rod and wastegate arm all that critical? I have seen some on quite an angle but to me is it asking for inconsistent operation as the effective mechanical advantage of the actuator changes through it's stroke. I can get it reasonably straight but not quite as straight as it is currently or the discharge is going to hit the strut tower.

I am hoping to be able to get it to form more or less a right angle when closed, but am I being unnecessarily fussy? Before anyone gets worried about changing the geometry on anything stock'ish. it is a track only car and will be running closed loop boost control and everything else dealing with boost control will be new so it will all be set up from scratch, one of the things I hope to do is to be able to run a wider range of boost pressures with a two port actuator and three port solenoid (Previously pegged at 18PSI with a basic boost tee as the old ECU was really bad at boost control)

should be as near to 90 degrees to the actuator for predictable boost control. its still a leaver. if you have to steep an angle it wont behave smoothly because of the lever ratio of the back pressure acting on the arm. 

also, if you have a "back pressure" issue, you can change the angle to a steeper one to make it "harder" for the back pressure to blow the gate open. 

More or less my thoughts. Guess I will see if I can clock the compressor housing where I would like to and still get a favorable angle on the actuator rod.