SAU Community

1996 R33 GT-R V-Spec - Built by Prostock Motorsports Japan

Well you can always stick with a 2.6 or 2.8 and just go for big revs to make up for the little bottom end? You will definitely need good rods and bolts for that, probably a billet girdle too so you can eliminate any risk of crank walk at high revs. 

Piggas car is a great street car, but it's not a DON mega build car that will destroy all, but he didn't build it to be that. If that's frightening at the moment, then maybe start with a DON "medium" build, get used to the power first and build a second engine for later. That way you can get away with a little 8474 and a standard gearbox until you're ready for a full DON mega build. 

Mega builds cost mega bucks. Maybe ring around and see if any of the big workshops want to get involved and sponsor you. Being associated with big build GT-Rs is good for their business anyway. 

If that doesn't work out, just go mid spec on the little 2.6 for now and try not to race any fast cars. 

Don't forget, don't flog it with -7s on it if you're running high boost and when it comes time to tune the EFR, keep the torque low in the midrange until you've got some decent rods in it (same thing all the EVO guys do with their EFRs until they get around to building a good motor). 

Maybe it would be cheaper and easier to buy Piggaz car? 

Just now, r32-25t said:

Or you could just buy piggy’s car and save a shit load of time and money 

The problem is I don’t have the venture capital. I’ve got an R33 GTR & S15 and after this round of mods I’m damn near broke. 

4 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

The problem is I don’t have the venture capital. I’ve got an R33 GTR & S15 and after this round of mods I’m damn near broke. 

Just "Capital"

"Venture capital" is when you're funding start-ups and doing things like Angel Investing etc, usually done by private equity firms but can be a single person in some instances. 

Maybe get some finance, buy Piggas car, put his running gear into your cleaner shell. Put your little 2.6 and stock box into his shell and sell it off to someone with lower standards then clear out the finance. 

Or just be happy for now with the baby 2.6 and maybe a small EFR detuned to make it safe? Call it a DON Mini build? 

Mine has a 2.8 bottom end (Tomei). It's rated by them to 800hp (IIRC). If I was going to spend the insane amount of cash the last owner did, i'd be looking at 3L+, i'd be doing away with the 2.6 block. 

The total of the components (that I have receipts for) is something like 35k in parts alone. Add to that a bunch of time that must have been paid for and the fact i've dropped another 10k into it. What I have is a very capable and (seemingly) solid build for up to 500kw atw. Anything more than that and i'm going to start to break things (probs gearbox). 

If my build were to happen today, I can guarantee that it wouldn't have a 2.6 (or 2.8) in it. It would have been a 3.0L block stroked. I expect that they also would have dumped the twin turbos and gone a decent single.

If you're going all out, you've really got to consider buying the right parts first time and don't worry about trying to make the 2.6 produce a million kilowatts. Build an engine on the side if that suits you better. The more money you put into the 2.6 the less you will have for your goal engine. If you don't know what your goal engine is, start with your power level and work backwards. You might find it's closer than you think.

Also GTR ownership itself doesn't seem that expensive, it's the modifications that get you. ?

• Like 1

The first thing to always do, is work out what you want to achieve with the car. 

Is it going to be for drag racing?

Circuit racing? 

Daily driving? 

Midnight runs through Natio? 

Having all out bullshit crazy power can make any car less fun to drive if for example you want to drive spiritedly through Natio, because it'll be a lag monster, and then you'll be fighting wheel spin on already low grip roads. It would also make it useless for circuit work if you want to do that, and it means in a 0-80kmh run without a big launch or rev up, the p plater in his mums commodore is likely to beat you.

For a street all round package, a hugely responsive package, that has wicked suspension, big brakes and grumpy tyres is king. It's also going to be decent at the drags, and on the circuit and killer through the Natio. 

My "ideal" GTR that's a great all rounder would be something like Eric's R33. 

I have no idea what Piggaz car is currently like to be able to comment if it'd also be suitable. 

PS, I've made the mistake of chasing power, and power is useless if you can't use it all or it's not available when you want it. Though, fourth gear rolling skids on the freeway are both fun and f**king scary... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

Is this the R33 LM (Approx 400hp atw) you're talking about? Or a different Eric? 

Eric from SAU NSW, white GTR, now moved to NZ.

I think it was about 350kw.

2 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Different Eric, the one he is talking about has a white one and I can tell you piggy’s is better then it in every detail 

2 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Eric from SAU NSW, white GTR, now moved to NZ.

I think it was about 350kw.

Time to go stalking people on SAU! :)

Thanks for the responses. 

My small bit of advice.

1. Every good build needs a budget.

If you don't budget a 30k build turn turn into a 60k build.

2. Someone always has more money and a faster car.

3. A fool and his money is soon parted.

Imo piggy's [emoji241] GTR is the ultimate R33. Not too over the top, just right to enjoy. Buy it.

On another note, i came across this today in my travels and it reminded me of this thread.

IMG20190603132155.jpg

• Like 1

Realistically, Piggaz car is the best decision possible.

The reality is, the next EFR stage is a $65k exercise allowing for brakes/sequential/diffs/turbo package/fab/retune. However, I have time on my side as I’m sure there’s fun to be had in the current package. And then, I’d need to budget for a built motor...and by then I’ll have a car with as big a spend as Piggaz.

Logistically, attaining Piggaz car is next to impossible without finishing both the S15/R33 GTR and selling both.

Selling the S15 is a major challenge because of how much money has been pumped into it and how little they’re selling for. Sure it’s stuffed full of good bits but I don’t know what I’d be able to get for it. And plus, after nearly 4 years off the road I’d love to see if it’s a really fun fruitcake to drive.

I have to say, without making a post with my usual sense of humour, that building cars has been the biggest rollercoaster decision I’ve ever made. There is a LOT of stress involved, so it’d be nice to turn the key to something that’s just DONE.

I could stop now and enjoy both cars, but is that possible, I’m 90% sure it’s not....

Hmm, it’s a bad feeling being at a crossroads....

If you go that way, The engine in the S15 is worth more out of the car, trust me. 

Building 2 cars simultaneously is always going to be a tough gig. 

If you have to spread your time and money I would be inclined to tune the -7 setup, flex fuel, and leave as is with a comfortable 450rwhp or there abouts. If you want a bit more fun, sell the twin setup and just go a basic garret GTX single setup, they can be done quite cheaply with good results and not need anything else. 

Then you can just drive it and enjoy it, not worry about brakes/box/diff as they are all fine at that power. Finish the S15 and enjoy that, to be honest, given what the S15 will be capable of making, you are going to need a very decently powered GT-R to match the power to weight of the S15. 

I had the same issues when deciding to stick with S chassis or not, in the end, I can go much faster for less $$ in the Silvia and I wanted to buy a big property so that was the compromise (sell GT-R). 

I'm with Dan, tune what you have now in the GTR and make it fun. Make it a responsive daily, keep it neat and clean. 

Push the envelope of stupidity (fun/power/shits and giggles) on the S15.

I have no idea what fuel system you have in the 15, but I'd likely put the one in the GTR into the 15, and just run a decent intank pump in the GTR for street/cruise/muck around. 

If you take it to the track, just keep the tank full. 

If you keep dumping money at the GTR you'll never finish the S15 and it will just devalue and end up rotting away. 

5 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Is Piggaz even selling his, or is it a case of "everything is forsale if the money is right"?

I’ve driven it once this year, owned it for 12. 

Time for a change I think.