SAU Community

Drill into RB26 head, where?

Ok, just a safety-check before I wreck something...

Please draw on the attached image where you mean to avoid misstakes.

I'm about to fit alignment pins (2mm) to align my knock-off manifolds with the head and the gaskets, 2 per manifold will do the job. Will need to drill approximately 5mm in to the head, where will it be thick enough so I don't hit an oil or water alley?

DSC_0917.JPG

Well.. The manifold to stud fitment leaves a lot to wish for... Hence the extra alignment idea. Guess this is a fail on the sanity check! xD

I take it as noone butchered a rb head and know where there is extra material?

Ended up finding two spots to make tiny holes, where it won't hit the head on the other side even if it sticks out some tenths! Mission accomplished, saving the last porting to some other evening... :)

DSC_0918 1.JPG

Edited by K_arlstrom

Yeah but just think about it...the holes are oversize and have some movement allowance from factory. What happens when the manifold gets hot - thermal expansion movement. And you're putting in dowels to ensure the manifold no longer has any movement? 

I'm all for thinking outside the box - hell i made a large box with a seat on the outside of it, just so i could sit there and think - but it doesn't sound like a good idea.