SAU Community

R33 GTR Turbo Question

hello, my name is nick and i own a 88 tx5 turbo. i have recently purchased a complete turbo setup for my car and it consists of the standard manifold with an adaptor plate and an r33 gtr turbo, 35mm hks external wastegate with screamer pipe and a 2.5inch dump pipe. the turbo is significantly bigger than my old sotcker turbo, but i dont know much about them.

i have a few questions (i done a quick search, and couldnt find what i was after).

firstly, what is the sizing of a gtr turbo (ie: how many cfm's does it flow? is it equivalent to a t28, t3 etc?).

secondly, is it a ball bearing centre? if not what type of bearings does it use?

and finally does this turbo use a ceramic exhaust wheel? what is a safe boost level on it?

sorry about all the questions, but i dont know much about these particular turbos.

regards, nick.

in response as to why it has been converted to an external gate: i would say this would be due to spacing issues because of how the turbo is mounted on the manifold.i think it is on the opposite side of the engine as to how it would be mounted on a gt-r. i dont think an internal wastegate actuator would fit in there.

thanks for the clarification on sizing. so technically, a gts-t turbo would be an upgrade.

i plan to run 10psi on it until i upgrade my intercooler and get a larger fuel pump. now i know how much i can turn the boost up. could i possibly get away with 15psi?

regards, nick.

in response as to why it has been converted to an external gate: i would say this would be due to spacing issues because of how the turbo is mounted on the manifold.i think it is on the opposite side of the engine as to how it would be mounted on a gt-r. i dont think an internal wastegate actuator would fit in there.

thanks for the clarification on sizing. so technically, a gts-t turbo would be an upgrade.  

i plan to run 10psi on it until i upgrade my intercooler and get a larger fuel pump. now i know how much i can turn the boost up. could i possibly get away with 15psi?

regards, nick.

You must be kidding right??

A internal gate actuator is tiny compared to an external gate and it would be 100 times easier to make a little actuator fit rather than a whole external gate and piping etc it needs to work.