SAU Community

Which Fuel is better?

496 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vortex is definitely NOT 98 octane and it makes my PFC knock sensor go off its tits.
That depends on whether you fill up with "Vortex" or "Vortex98" (Vortex98 has only been available for about the last 2-3mths).

I've been using abit of the Vortex98 lately just for daily driving etc and it drives fine but I don't have a P/FC so I have no idea what it is really like. If i'm doing Drags/Trackday/Hard driving i'll always fill up with either BP98 or Synergy8000. I never use Optimax simply because the Shell servo's have basically disappeared over the past 6mths and Caltex (woolworths) are popping up left right and center.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my car hates optimax, dunno if its just the quality we get here or whats in it. it performs better on Vortex (95ron) then it does on optimax, but it loves BP ultimate, and its cheaper too.

cheers

Linton

A few years ago Caltex claimed that they didnt want to release 98RON because it didnt have the cleaning properties that 96RON did. But i suppose demand has made them release Vortex 98, it is only available along the east coast at the moment, but will be australia wide within the next 6 months.

If it does just say Vortex on the pump, then it is the 96RON. The new Vortex 98 is on a white background with 98 written on it.

1 bp ultimate.

2 optimax

Have never really used the others.But i find that right after i fill up that the throttle is a bit more responsive when on the ultimate when compared to the optimax.

I wish that they would change there prices.Even though my car is off the road still atm i feel for the prices for petrol that you are paying.

Work it out.A 55L/tank @ $1.00/L is $55.00.So for a year it'd be more like $2860.This is only 1 tank full a week for a years worth of petrol and prices fluctuate lke a biatch...

How many tanks do you guys/gals put in a week?

1 bp ultimate.

2 optimax

Have never really used the others.But i find that right after i fill up that the throttle is a bit more responsive when on the ultimate when compared to the optimax.

I wish that they would change there prices.Even though my car is off the road still atm i feel for the prices for petrol that you are paying.

Work it out.A 55L/tank @ $1.00/L is $55.00 p/w.So for a year it'd be more like $2860.

This is only 1 tank full a week for a years worth of petrol and prices fluctuate like a biatch...

I've tried both but found that my car pings a little when running Optimax. But it is a bit better on BP Ultimate. Vortex isn't 98 so you can't really compare it to the others.

I use BP most of the time as it is the closest to my house.

is 98 now. Well is in canberra

I drive my 180 about twice a week for about an hour or two all up, as I ride my bike to work. So I go through stuff all, maybe a tank a month?

On to the topic of conversation, I used to be pretty staunch about BP Ultimate, my mate's R33 and my 180 like it better than Optimax. But now I've become a bit of a slave to their marketing and use 4c/L off dockets with Optimax :) I think following reading this thread, I'll go back to BP Ultimate or see if I can find somewhere around here which does Syn 8000 or something. I've had enough of being a marketing slave!@ STICK IT TO THE MAN!@!$ :cuss:

BP 98 RON or mobil is what i use... BP seems to be better.

There is a servo here that has 100RON racing fuel. at $1.40 it isn't cheap... i put in 15L and it only lasted 80km. hehe apparently a mixture of premium and avgas.

I always wonder when this subject comes up every time,which one is better.As for my cars ,my gts-t ran hard and great on optimax and no better on bp ultimate.I now own a 33gtr v-spec, and when i bought it the previous owner was running ultimate, so i kept useing it.Then about a month ago,i was really low on petrol,and the only sevo was shell, so i through $20 worth of optimax,and then about about 10 min up the road, i give it a bit of a sqwirt and thought f***! am i tripping or did that just feel more responsive,so i give it to it again,and coudn,t believe the difference.So now i"m using optimax all the time and the gtr is going harder than ever.So all i can say is i had no problems with bp but the optimax just seems to make my car go harder.

does optimax seem to go off quick? I don't drive all my cars all the time and it seems that if the car sits there a fair bit (a week or so), it ends up pinging when usually it wouldn't.