SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

New settings were much better, I sent some street tyre (255/40 17 RS4's) setting 6 (max slip 65%) logs to Jacek to have a look and see how it's going

New 0-100 kph is 4.096 seconds :), last settings were 5.08, the one before that was 5.084, before the RaceTCS there was no way of getting it that low

Definitely going in the right direction 

Before the RaceTCS I needed to be real gentle and pedal, alot, to not just bag it up, in first gear with any "real" throttle (over 25%) it would just spin, and 2nd under power was just a smoke show, now, I just mash the load pedal and the car launches

You can hear it cutting cylinders, the exhaust note changes, but it just leaps forward and pulls like a train16908805229067198022876985454911.thumb.jpg.4c83371ad894c0bc8cf213462eb01b6f.jpg

Hopefully there is a little more black magic that Jacek can do, a 3.??? would be insane on the street tyres, but, I'm as happy as a p ig in sh it now anyway

Once this next lot of changes come in, if their are any, because a 0-100kph in 4.0 seconds is really good IMO, then on with the drag radials and go for a 60' under my best of 1.6

My last 60' was a 1.6 with a 11.2 at 124mph, a 1.5 60' gets me real close to that 10.???

great-success-yes.gif.1cd98f79a7f595fd7dde9348c5b3a463.gif

16908805787864916271093288887633.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, soviet_merlin said:

4 seconds 0-100kmh is serious business! I don't think anyone would see that coming standing at the lights next to you :D

My main concern is how it effects my 60' at WSID :27_sunglasses:

But yeah.....:10_wink:

I know this isn't the use case, but it helps a great deal coming out of corners when you have a bit of lock and a bit of power at the same time. It's kinda surreal to be coming out of a 30kmh (signed) bend in 1st and just plant it. or feed it in aggressively and not end up on an enbankment on your roof. Just gives a lot of confidence.

13 hours ago, The Bogan said:

My main concern is how it effects my 60' at WSID :27_sunglasses:

But yeah.....:10_wink:

Street Tyres just don't hook up that well, even supercars have troubles getting under the 4s barrier in the real world. You shouldn't 'need' TC for drag racing though, that is when tyres should be doing the work they're made to do!

• Like 2

Latest configurator setting 6 got me a 3.96 0-100 kph

Slip settings were the same as the last, 65%, the only change were to the kD (D value for pid control), the new were 5.00, the old were 3.00, yeah, I have no idea of what that actually means, LOL, but, it has something to do with my car having quote: "alot of drive train inertia and when it starts to slip it takes awhile before it stops, more sensitive kD should act as a prediction of what is going to happen"......(black magic stuff)

He believes the most we can shave may be 0.1-0.2 seconds off the flat 4.0

I've sent the logs off again for Jacek to look at

I was actually happy with the flat 4.00, but a 3.96 is even better

Sort of like the difference between a 11.000, and a 10.999 at the drags, it is then either a 11 second car or a 10 second car, it's now a 3 second 0-100 car... . sort of....yeap :34_rolling_eyes:.......I'm an idiot rounding down:224_monkey:

Winner winner chicken dinner 

• Like 3

Logs were reviewed and Jacek said that that is as good as it will get on the street tyres 

The only change he recommended was playing with the max slip fuel cut for when the drag radials are on, start at 70% and see how that effects the 60", then test and adjust up from there

It is currently at 85% on setting 6, which works great for the street tyres and a awesome 0-100 in the old bus

15 logs sent and 8 configurator changes sent 

So now the street tyre settings are sorted, from cold wet icey roads, to kill mode in the dry, time to hit the drag radials 

The plan is to move setting 2 into setting 1, and follow them all down until setting 6 is moved to setting 5, setting 6 will then be basically the same as setting 5, but with less max slip fuel cut % for the drag radials at the strip

As for spinning wheels on drag radials, last time out they spun fairly hard and I needed to pedal a bit, but, my tyre pressures were too high, I'll drop the tyre pressure down to about 15 psi and see if they hook without the traction control on, look at a log and see how much it is spinning, I'll then try with traction control on, and compare some logs

Hopefully a Wednesday night soon I'll hit WSID and see how it goes

• Like 3

Drove to Goulburn to visit my daughter.......and her boys nice new performance blue i30 N manual hatch, he had only put 100km on it so far and was itching to drive it some more, so we took that into Canberra for lunch

The i30N hatch is a fun little car, really comfortable, good build quality and sounds great

If your looking for something new and fun I think it a great value little hot hatch to definitely look at

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

Hahha lol.

V8 or nothing.

The V8 is fun, although it did use almost 3/4 of tank of fuel on the drive to Goulburn and back

So not really good for a daily for driving to and from work or shop runs

He'll, that fuel economy is rubbish for pretty much anyone driving to and from work, luckily the VX really only comes out for weekend cruises and the occasional squirt for LOLS

My Harley is my daily hack, but I'm in a bit of a conundrum at the moment, the arthritis in my neck is pretty bad, and it ain't going to improve, to the point of probably really being a safety issue riding the bike as I cannot really turn my head much to check traffic properly, and on a bike that is pretty important if you don't want to end up as a smear on Sydney roads,

I reckon I've got a year at max before my neck says "no turn for you"

I'm thinking of selling the Harley and buying a car more suitable as a weekday runabout 

I'm getting the little auto Yaris hatch (1.5 big block) back from my daughter soon when her new car finally arrives, which is currently on a very slow boat from South Korea, but, should arrive this month, I'm going to see if I can deal with a Yaris for a while as a daily, then maybe flip the Yaris and bike and grab some new and fancy smaller car for a daily

Whatever it is, it does need to be "somewhat" sporty

I think a little i30N would tick all the boxes, it goes really well, has all the safety mod cons and stuff, it also makes all the cool noises pretty much as is

I also retire at 60 in 1 year, 9 months, 2 weeks and 1 day (not that I'm counting), so I'm looking for something that will take me, and everyone around me, safely into my retirement years as I only really have another 10 or so years before I call it quits and bin my licence for the safety of all concerned 

I don't want to be one of those old dudes that refuse to accept reality and keep on driving past their use by date

I'll then be one of those grumpy old bastards in the passenger seat or on public transport, and as I'm apparently already grumpy, and occasionally a bastard (talk to any of my family or work colleagues), I reckon I got this covered

On a side note, I just paid for my rego, it cost $0.00, there are at least some benefits of getting older and broken

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Nek minnit, Mark is selling the SS for an N spec Hyundai...

Nope, I've decided the SS will remain registered in the stable until my licence is kaput

I'm getting old and broken, not dead

8 hours ago, The Bogan said:

Whatever it is, it does need to be "somewhat" sporty

I think a little i30N would tick all the boxes, it goes really well, has all the safety mod cons and stuff, it also makes all the cool noises pretty much as is

I think they did pretty well with the i30n Fastback. Looks a bit nicer than the hatchback. It has a bit of that Mercedes coupe swoop to it.

9cf5d44c-2019-hyundai-i30_fastback_n_02.thumb.jpg.e7c42cb235d527a24cc52d9f980dd9d6.jpg

• Like 1

Mark, as you're keeping the big SS monster, which you can use for longer trips etc, and you're wanting something with the ModCons, and some sporty zip, have you considered an EV?

Depending on how many KMs you do a year, from now to the 70 year old Mark, it may work out cheaper to go a new EV.

I presently drive the Kona EV, and now in my mid 30s, I prefer driving it in traffic over any car I have access to. To the point, unless I want to go for a spirited drive, I'd rather drive it over even the missus Liberty GT-B, which is a car I quite enjoy.

It handles pretty nicely (Especially for a small SUV style car). I guess have a really low center of gravity really helps it.
On the rare occasion I actually press the brake pedal, I nearly headbutt the front window. But in general, I use regen braking nearly everywhere.
But you want to go quick, just push the quiet pedal, and it gets up and zips off and away!

Has all the mod cons of the AC, the cruise, the safety bells and whistles (Some of which I've personally switched off, but they might be good to keep a soon to be 70 year old safe ;) )

Oh, also runs a 500KM range, in winter as I'm smashing both heater and AC, and the fan pretty hard, my range drops to about 400 usable KMs.
But in summer, I'm legit getting 500KM range, and that is using AC too. Using the regen braking, and smooth (not slow, just smooth) acceleration really helps.

Oh, and at current electricity prices, it's under $3/100km to put electricity in it. If your SS is anything like my VT SS was, you're using around 18L/100km easily around town... At $2/L, the SS would be costing about $36 / 100KM to run... So the EV really does save it.
But that being said, you need to spend a bit more to buy it up front due to the batteries (Sort of pre-paying for fuel). Hence my comment on depending how many KMs you do.

But realistically, you could drive from Sydney to Goulburn, shove it on the slow charger when you get down there (Normal power point) for 5 hours, and get back to Sydney again and still have 50KM left over. Stop off at a fast charger (I'm expecting Goulburn has one by now) for lunch, and you'd be fully charged and back on the road by the time lunch finishes, so you'd be back in sydney with 200KM of range still available. Park it back in your garage (Or just outside it) on the charger overnight, come back out and you're good to go.

Want more freedom than that for a trip down randomly, well, you've still got the dinosaur eating V8 tucked away :)

Note: It may not fit your situation depending how enjoyable you find it to drive, or the number of KMs you do a day, or even how often you want to take the daily on long trips vs the commodore when you hit retirement, but I find being able to sit side by side with most of the "fast kids" in their P Plate cars pretty funny, especially since you don't need to shift gears or worry about the launch, so they actually get pissed off when the EV goes past them :P

Depending on the KMs you do daily, and how many you expect to keep doing daily running around in retirement, a decent EV would be a good daily driver, especially once you hit retirement. (DVA Gold gets you a good discount on electricity doesn't it?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MBS206 said:

Mark, as you're keeping the big SS monster, which you can use for longer trips etc, and you're wanting something with the ModCons, and some sporty zip, have you considered an EV?

Depending on how many KMs you do a year, from now to the 70 year old Mark, it may work out cheaper to go a new EV.

I presently drive the Kona EV, and now in my mid 30s, I prefer driving it in traffic over any car I have access to. To the point, unless I want to go for a spirited drive, I'd rather drive it over even the missus Liberty GT-B, which is a car I quite enjoy.

It handles pretty nicely (Especially for a small SUV style car). I guess have a really low center of gravity really helps it.
On the rare occasion I actually press the brake pedal, I nearly headbutt the front window. But in general, I use regen braking nearly everywhere.
But you want to go quick, just push the quiet pedal, and it gets up and zips off and away!

Has all the mod cons of the AC, the cruise, the safety bells and whistles (Some of which I've personally switched off, but they might be good to keep a soon to be 70 year old safe ;) )

Oh, also runs a 500KM range, in winter as I'm smashing both heater and AC, and the fan pretty hard, my range drops to about 400 usable KMs.
But in summer, I'm legit getting 500KM range, and that is using AC too. Using the regen braking, and smooth (not slow, just smooth) acceleration really helps.

Oh, and at current electricity prices, it's under $3/100km to put electricity in it. If your SS is anything like my VT SS was, you're using around 18L/100km easily around town... At $2/L, the SS would be costing about $36 / 100KM to run... So the EV really does save it.
But that being said, you need to spend a bit more to buy it up front due to the batteries (Sort of pre-paying for fuel). Hence my comment on depending how many KMs you do.

But realistically, you could drive from Sydney to Goulburn, shove it on the slow charger when you get down there (Normal power point) for 5 hours, and get back to Sydney again and still have 50KM left over. Stop off at a fast charger (I'm expecting Goulburn has one by now) for lunch, and you'd be fully charged and back on the road by the time lunch finishes, so you'd be back in sydney with 200KM of range still available. Park it back in your garage (Or just outside it) on the charger overnight, come back out and you're good to go.

Want more freedom than that for a trip down randomly, well, you've still got the dinosaur eating V8 tucked away :)

Note: It may not fit your situation depending how enjoyable you find it to drive, or the number of KMs you do a day, or even how often you want to take the daily on long trips vs the commodore when you hit retirement, but I find being able to sit side by side with most of the "fast kids" in their P Plate cars pretty funny, especially since you don't need to shift gears or worry about the launch, so they actually get pissed off when the EV goes past them :P

Depending on the KMs you do daily, and how many you expect to keep doing daily running around in retirement, a decent EV would be a good daily driver, especially once you hit retirement. (DVA Gold gets you a good discount on electricity doesn't it?)

I cannot see myself in a EV

Call me old fashion but I need something that makes car noises

Car noises make me smile

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, The Bogan said:

I cannot see myself in a EV

Call me old fashion but I need something that makes car noises

Car noises make me smile

Most of them have a system you can turn on to play noise through the speakers for you....

Funnily enough, petrol things like BMW do this from the factory too in "sports mode". People think the exhaust gets louder... But it doesn't... Ha ha ha

15 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Most of them have a system you can turn on to play noise through the speakers for you....

Funnily enough, petrol things like BMW do this from the factory too in "sports mode". People think the exhaust gets louder... But it doesn't... Ha ha ha

My 86 had a "sound tube", it was removed when the turbo intake went on

Real car noises FTW

• Haha 1

On 06/08/2023 at 8:06 AM, soviet_merlin said:

I think they did pretty well with the i30n Fastback. Looks a bit nicer than the hatchback. It has a bit of that Mercedes coupe swoop to it.

9cf5d44c-2019-hyundai-i30_fastback_n_02.thumb.jpg.e7c42cb235d527a24cc52d9f980dd9d6.jpg

It looks like it's squatting to take a shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1