SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

5 hours ago, MBS206 said:

You'll end up hating the BRZ... Again...

Didn't hate the 86, the non-existent rear seat space was a small issue, not my issue really though, but, as all the kids are grown, moved out, and have their own cars, the rear seats would be just extra luggage space

The Minister requires 2 suitcases and a "carry on or 2" for a weekend away, typically I take a spare pair of jocks and socks, and a toothbrush.....if there is any space left, LOL

In reality the 86 is the most missed car I have ever owned

The R33, well, there was hate in the end for that and I was happy to see it leave

In other, financial news, the broker said they probably wouldn't be able to get a BRZ tS any cheaper than if I just ordered one through Subaru as they have no issues selling the ones they have

The dealers want just over $55k for a new tS without any additional bits, and I would probably need to wait for the colour I want, but when ordering a BRZ tS online through Subaru, with the colour and other accessories I want, it is around $53k, albeit with around a 6 month wait, which I'm fine with, just gives me more time to think about the cat back and wheels I want for it

In other Toyota news, there is unconfirmed word that they may be releasing a new Toyota MR2 next year to replace the 86, hopefully real news and information will come out about it soonish, to either confirm or deny the talk

As stated, I'm in no rush and will wait and see what 2025 models are going to be coming out later this year

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As the Bogan Cruise Ship has nothing wrong with it, and is perfect the way it is, I have decided to fix that issue, nothing major, just a little tidy up and upgrade some parts that don't really need to be upgraded 

1. Upgrade the interchiller, basically another fancy pants modern and efficient condenser, a larger reservoir (current one only holds about 500ml) and a better pump (the current pump has a little rattle, so......while I'm in there.....)

2. Move the battery to the boot so I can use that real-estate to fit in a nice big reservoir where the battery currently is

As for a new car, I'm holding off buying one for a few reasons:

1. Not enough garage space for another nice car, yes....I consider the Bogan Cruise Ship a nice car that needs a roof over its head, which leads to point 2

2. I'm buying a joint down the south coast next year, hopefully I can find a joint with a nice big double garage that I can get a car lift in, or, it has a massive shed for lots of cars, and a lift (I really really want a car lift)

3. I cannot decide what I want, a new freshness with all the mod cons, or a fairly old thing that I can play with when I'm bored (old as in steel bumper)

In other news, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and it isn't a train coming to run me over 

Screenshot_20240517-162349.thumb.png.153d091694ab87b59b47bc6a766c093a.png

Not that I'm counting 

• Like 2

So, after talking to Tyson at Auto Tech Engineering about my "cunning plan", he suggested to "not piss money away on stuff that the car probably doesn't need" (the max IAT at the end of the 1/4 ever only seen around 30°C, which is in no way a issue, and as such, for what I use the car for I really don't need colder IAT anyway

The whole point of the "upgrades" that I thought about doing was that my IAT started creeping up from 25°C to 30°C when cruising, then drop back down, then raise back up, rinsing and repeating, it has never done that before, so after talking to FI interchillers they assumed that it was the Bosch pump starting to fail, and if I was going to replace the pump....... I would do my usual thing of "while where in there"

But, Tyson said he has seen similar things happen to IAT with failing or leaking AC compressors on other cars with interchillers, and as the AC compressor is 22 years old it is probably well on the way out anyway, and if a electric water pump fails it stays failed and doesn't just speed up and slow dow, but if a AC compressor starts to fail or is leaking, it will fluctuate and give a typical result to the IAT

He said he could test the compressor and see how it is functioning and pressure test the whole system, but, as I do, I've just got them to order a new compressor to install to start with, and do a AC service and see if that fixes the issue

That way, if it is the compressor, I wouldn't be spending lots of coin on something that wasn't the issue, and not actually needed, as the stage 2 kit, and pump, comes in at around $2k in parts alone, not including the plumbing and other parts that will be required or labour 

And apparently the Bosch pump I have is really reliable and well up to task for the flow/pressure requirements that I need to keep my intercooler and massive amounts of boost heat (7 psi LOL) under control giving a nice and cold IAT

A big shout out to Tyson for this, not many people will talk a idiot out of wasting money on car modifications, and the saved car budget funding can be wasted elsewhere on things that I may, or may not, need, like a nice new leather SS interior with red stitching......maybe I can convince the Minister for War and Finances into a nice trip down to Victoria for a week away to see the sights (I'll explain that I will need a hire car once we're down there so we don't have to worry about the Commodore being parked up on the streets at night, and it just so happens there's a joint that I can store it during that time)

$1680 for all of the interior trims, + installation cost (I'll ask for a quote to install the trim if the new compressor fixes the issue)

57_7f88cce9-72b0-41d8-9499-dc366d06ac3b.thumb.png.bc1cb7f09aec84eb4f01057463eee871.png57_265d1aa8-57c5-40e8-a8bb-397fc6e0828e.thumb.png.13abf3762fce1e79920767cadb9beca0.png 

https://leatherseats.com.au/products/leather-seats-trim-skins-kit-to-fit-vt-vx-vy-ser1-ss-green-black-diy-install

• Like 1

Seats would really give the interior a huge makeover.

And as it's a bogan cruise ship, you don't need hugging seats like a race seat, or material that'll hold you stupidly tight in the seat.

I say go for it. If minister won't approve a trip away, it'd probably be $650 return to ship the car down and back, just tell her it's at the mechanics, and woah, you don't know how the seats became leather!!!

• Like 1

The boy crashed his Patrol a while ago, so he is now driving his mum's ASX and she is driving my Honda

I initially said he could have the Honda to drive around (he's a good kid currently training at the police academy), but, his mum was quick in saying that he "will" take the ASX and she will take the Honda, he was a bit upset with that, he rates the manual Honda more than the automatic ASX (mums taxi), and I'm getting the feeling she enjoys thrashing the manual Honda around

In other news, I'm looking at a MX5 NB series 2 on Saturday 

I always loved my NB series 1, but after stripping it down because I'm a idiot it wasn't fun cruising or driving around daily, and Jackie refused to drive it, which was an issue if we went out, because her refusing to drive it meant I lost my designated driver if we went to a party, or dinner, or...... basically anywhere where I could get a glow on

Yes yes, I may need a new job if I decide to buy

https://www.seek.com.au/apprentice-hairdresser-jobs/in-All-Sydney-NSW

Plus giving the Honda to the boy, which is my cunning plan, will give me enough wifey type credits to turn up in another car

Meh

https://www.my105.com/search/details/2001-holden-commodore-ute/0c25dc51-94c1-4b31-8356-1089488d08c3?source=SEARCH_RESULT

You should buy or do this instead.

About MX5's, the smart money is on the NC, specifically the NC2 if your budget goes that far, and with MX5 pricing that's pretty much where they go. Occasionally you see them pop up with tasteful mods like suspension and such, but the NC2 is the quiet sleeper of the range in terms of overall goodness.

2 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

https://www.my105.com/search/details/2001-holden-commodore-ute/0c25dc51-94c1-4b31-8356-1089488d08c3?source=SEARCH_RESULT

You should buy or do this instead.

About MX5's, the smart money is on the NC, specifically the NC2 if your budget goes that far, and with MX5 pricing that's pretty much where they go. Occasionally you see them pop up with tasteful mods like suspension and such, but the NC2 is the quiet sleeper of the range in terms of overall goodness.

I already have a Bogan mobile 

Whilst the NC may have it over a NB in some areas I don't like their shape as much

50% of the joy I get from a car is just looking at it, and I prefer looking at the NB

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Still don't like the shape, especially when the hard top is up

If I get a NB MX5 it will definitely require a colour matched hard, either when purchased or I'll need to find one

As for wheels, yes, of course, in a 15" wheel size with a little "streetable" drop suspension wise

Like this random pick from the googles, basically like my old one but nicerimages(21).thumb.jpeg.653e261b1546b6c3ef23d6193fc12061.jpeg

Found another MX5 NB that looks Ok in the pics to look at on Saturday, this one is a series 3

Luckily they are both in the same direction 

Finding unmolested or non-track car examples is proving tricky

I've got a hard budget, I'll access the situation and attempt some "polite" good old fashioned negotiating (low balling)

Nek minnit, LS swapped MX5 project.

Also, man, my parents would never give me a car if I had crashed mine! Lucky boy!

Or cunning Mark! :P

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1394082951286916/

I have personally driven this car, lowball and buy :D.

Save yourself all the time on the obvious upgrades later, which you will want to do, and end up costing much more than this. Save this post so you can refer back to it later when you tinker on it and do the same mods and spend more money. ;)

6 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1394082951286916/

I have personally driven this car, lowball and buy :D.

Save yourself all the time on the obvious upgrades later, which you will want to do, and end up costing much more than this. Save this post so you can refer back to it later when you tinker on it and do the same mods and spend more money. ;)

@Kinkstaah ....Shut up with all your good ideas, and common sense, but keep reading for a laugh 

In other MX5 related news, work was quite so I went and looked at a few cars today, none passed the clean and un-abused, un-molested criteria that what I'm looking for, most were unloved junk really that kids had thrashed

I did have a tip from one of the guys at work to look at a certain MX5, I actually forgot to ask about what model it was or the transmission, so after driving for another hour I arrived, got all excited about how the car looked from a distance as I was heading towards it, then when I actually got closer I found out it was a "NC" soft top, red, 99k Km, 6 speed manual, service history, garaged all its life, spotless, and most importantly 100% standard and a seller that was "motivated" to sell 

The soft top roof line actually looks better than the hard top roofs that I have seen, so I decided while I'm there I might as well check it out, did some googling on common issues for a while and I spent about an hour looking for any issues, nope, not 1 issue, so I took it for a nice long test drive to see how it felt and fit

Within a half hour of driving the car around Kinkstaar was proven right, and I wrong, I was judging the looks of a hard top car, but not the soft top version, and the NC is a much nicer place to sit than a NB, and the engine reved out really well

The car drove beautifully, handled great and everything worked as intended so I thought I might as well see how much I could low ball the car, just for my fun, and the owners annoyance 

I low balled, we negotiated, and yeap....... $14'000 later, ....I have new toy car, again

Next step is I'll do all my usual "service everything" things for pure fun, and detail the thing the thing to within an inch of its life

I swear, this car will stay standard, and I have no intention to modify it

In other news, whilst googling about common faults and stuff, I found this interesting....and if you cannot see it, is it really a "modification"

https://mx5mania.com.au/products/copy-of-ecutek-race-rom-tune-normally-aspirated-mx5-nc-2005-2013-2-0l-or-2-5l?_pos=2&_sid=1a693f332&_ss=r

Cheers Kinkstaar

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Zomg...

Why...

It's like a car designed for middle aged men that once had proper fast cars.

Mid life crisis 

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Zomg...

Why...

It's like a car designed for middle aged men that once had proper fast cars.

1 hour ago, r32-25t said:

Mid life crisis 

I'm 59, so yes, sort of, my other car, the Bogan Cruise Ship, is as fast as I need fast 

And I'm well past my mid life crisis ever since since I got rid of my Skyline 🤣, now I'm just aging disgraceful 🤓

• Haha 2

Found a issue, after driving through torrential rain, the drivers side roof drain is blocked and some water ended up in the boot

I've parked it up, stripped out the boot, and dried it out with a towel

Initial fix was poking a big long cable tie down the drain to unblock it, then poured some hot water and detergent into it to flush out what I could, which now has it working, but I'm assuming it needs a good old fashioned proper "rogering" of the drain holes 

PXL_20240601_045124190.thumb.jpg.30fd4f15c96ec45dbef56d7a85821579.jpg

Next step is waiting for the trombone cleaner that I just ordered from FleaBay next week

Luckily nothing made it into the interior and it is all drying out nicely and the roof drains are working well enough for now

I found the same issue with my old NB when I first got that, a couple of broken down leaves and some dirt was enough to block the drains, I did have a trombone cleaner back then, but I cannot find it anywhere, although, going of other times when I buy something to replace something I cannot find, the old one will probably turn up any minute now

Went out for drive with Jackie for a while in the Mazda and whilst it was raining cats and dogs, the interior and boot are still nice and dry so the top and drains are working well to keep the elements out, winning 

PXL_20240601_091118233.thumb.jpg.9e1ffa7d31befbc53f714f6a922fe93a.jpg

• Like 4