SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

Put some eBay spec sound deadener under the carpet in the boot of the MX5, 2 mm butyl self adhesive rubber stuff, I actually thought I got 1 square metre of the stuff for $60, turns out it was 4.5 square metres, LOL

PXL_20240701_072639620.thumb.jpg.c421d2ff9a7e6bed46a2d04f9b372622.jpg

It actually made quite a big difference to the interior with the roof up, I assume because there is no spare in the boot to dampen the sound it just acts as a big resonance chamber 

I'll do the boot in the Commodore later, and there'll even be enough left over after that to gift the rest to one of the guys at work who has rebuilt a old 944 Porka as a weekend cruiser 

I also binned the old school goop and inflater thingo for some Michelin puncture repair in a can, I actually got 2 cans because they fit perfectly in the old goop and inflater bag that mounts to the trim in the boot

SCA_649553_hi-res.thumb.jpg.2587b5aa05a51c72cb5d15a2f58cc66b.jpg

• Like 1

The Bogan sports car goes in for it's tune tomorrow, I did bite the "I'm to lazy to do it all myself" bullet, and justified it to myself as I don't have the time but I have the coin, so I am getting them to install all the parts that have been amassed over the last few weeks

In other news: "someone" reversed it into the Honda, the Honda is fine, but the MX5 now has a small ding in the rear bumper now, not enough to worry about fixing, but just enough to trigger me when washing the car 😢

• Sad 1

With some of the left over sound deadening stuff I did the boot in the Bogan Cruise Ship, unsure if will make any noticeable difference, the Minister for War and Finances managed to fall asleep within 5 minutes of hitting a Hwy before anyway

There's also a bit of the Carbuilders foam stuff as well, more for something for the spare to sit on/against 

image000001(1).thumb.jpg.1ba3e372bbbfec536f115a82df124ef8.jpgimage000000(3).thumb.jpg.292525132b5d760dae616136d66a2990.jpg

On 7/9/2024 at 6:04 PM, The Bogan said:

The Bogan sports car goes in for it's tune tomorrow, I did bite the "I'm to lazy to do it all myself" bullet, and justified it to myself as I don't have the time but I have the coin, so I am getting them to install all the parts that have been amassed over the last few weeks

In other news: "someone" reversed it into the Honda, the Honda is fine, but the MX5 now has a small ding in the rear bumper now, not enough to worry about fixing, but just enough to trigger me when washing the car 😢

Is it enough to warrant a body kit for the 5 now?

Or so small that it doesn't warrant it, but it's so big that in 6 months you'll be so annoyed you won't be able to look at the car?

And on that note, what are you thinking of replacing it with? :P

15 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Is it enough to warrant a body kit for the 5 now?

Or so small that it doesn't warrant it, but it's so big that in 6 months you'll be so annoyed you won't be able to look at the car?

And on that note, what are you thinking of replacing it with? :P

Body kits are so 1999

Worse case scenario is I get my local paint joint to fix and colour match it for a couple of hundred bucks

4 hours ago, The Bogan said:

With some of the left over sound deadening stuff I did the boot in the Bogan Cruise Ship, unsure if will make any noticeable difference, the Minister for War and Finances managed to fall asleep within 5 minutes of hitting a Hwy before anyway

There's also a bit of the Carbuilders foam stuff as well, more for something for the spare to sit on/against 

image000001(1).thumb.jpg.1ba3e372bbbfec536f115a82df124ef8.jpgimage000000(3).thumb.jpg.292525132b5d760dae616136d66a2990.jpg

Damn that looks tidy.

Does it make bearings quiet? 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The Bogan said:

Body kits are so 1999

Worse case scenario is I get my local paint joint to fix and colour match it for a couple of hundred bucks

Is it just a popped in dent in plastic? Or is the paint cracked too?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, PranK said:

Damn that looks tidy.

Does it make bearings quiet? 

Euros have a button on the dash to make the bearings quiet.

Wait... That one just makes the radio louder. But, same same...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MBS206 said:

Is it just a popped in dent in plastic? Or is the paint cracked too?

Both, and because I'm dumb I picked at it.......and lifted some clear coat, meh, shit happens

• Haha 1

Picked up the MX5

MX5 Mania set up the ride height, picked the alignment specs, did the Whiteline sway bars settings and BC dampening, which I'm more than happy with and won't fark with, it loves being thrown around corners, and it is more compliant over bumps on the road than the original suspension, which at 100k km on the stockers, I assume the old dampers were toast

Ride height is 330mm hub to guard front and rear, and makes it over all the big speed bumps at work, the bars are hard front and soft rear

20240716_171737.thumb.jpg.a718454761a51073a42d4ae3af76ee62.jpg

As for how the car goes, more of everything everywhere, and as it only made 100 killerwasps and 175nm pre tune, an additional 20kw and 20 nm of torques everywhere made quite a noticeable difference, idle and cruising is typical to stock as well

As for the added "noise" from the header, it is minimal, and only noticeable outside, the in-cabin noise hasn't changed

New Exedy clutch is, well, new, and feels great, same same for the new calipers, and the HEL braided lines make a noticeable difference to the pedal feel,  again, I assume the old lines were well past their use by date

Overall I'm extremely happy with the results, and rev match is fun (I cannot heel toe for 5hit)

Massive power dyno circle jerk pic, LOL

20240716_171333.thumb.jpg.2002074724df02154c8dc9335b0708a3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PranK said:

N54 time. 

Not a chance Red Leader

In other news: popped past my paint and panel guy for a quote to respray the rear bumper on the MX5

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

You add extra weight with more paint and you're going to need this https://bulletcars.com/product/supercharger-kit-rotrex-2l-skyactiv-g-pe-vps/

I did have a chat about boost when I was picking up the car, Mania recommended a little turbo over a supercharger for a 4 pot as the parasitic loss from spinning it up is substantial 

Pricing was $13k drive in drive out for the 2.0 turbo package which can net around 180 killerwasps and alot more tourqes, or, add on top of that $13k, another $7k for a 2.5 swap with the turbo drive in drive out for a little more hsprs up top, but a big chunk more torque everywhere else 

But no, I'm more than happy rolling around in the little 2.0 NA for a daily, all of the handling goodness, but none of the FI issues associated with putting FI on a stock NA engine and driveline

If I wanted a "faster daily" I would have picked a different car

The Bogan Cruise Ship is my car with boosted powers

I feel I now have the best of both worlds, a fun and reliable little daily that I enjoy throwing/thrashing around town, and a big fat cruiser that has more power for the streets and Hwys than what I can actually use and still keep my licence

Jackie has also decided that whilst she did enjoy driving the MX5, any shopping expeditions we do will be in her ASX, or the Commodore for long cruises or trips away, Jackie is much taller than me and isn't keen on folding herself into, or out of the MX5, she has hit her head on the top nearly every time she has got in it with the roof up, she calls it the stupid little matchbox car, LOL, perfect........

• Haha 1