SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

16 hours ago, The Bogan said:

If I wanted a "faster daily" I would have picked a different car

The Bogan Cruise Ship is my car with boosted powers

I feel I now have the best of both worlds,

image.thumb.png.0ca8193cda5f50051a781d59ede1d897.png

• Haha 1

Next performance mod for the MX5, well, performance of my radio reception with a new OEM aerial...

NC_Aerial_960x.thumb.jpg.34f4f389f51c3213ecdb7fab4bb25dff.jpg

The car had one of those stubby 50mm aerials, which is now "in the bin", and the radio would lose reception of ABC Classical driving into Goulburn, nothing worse than losing Wagner mid way through "Ride of the Valkyries" or some other classic when I'm pumping the tunes at 11

Performance test will be on Saturday when I head into Goulburn to lunch with the offspring and visit the "Grandcats"

As for the rear bumper, the trigger is triggered, it's booked in on the 29 July to get the rear bumper resprayed 

• 2 weeks later...

New aerial is aerialing well....trips into Goulburn are not losing the ABC classic radio signal

Also......I've been procrastinating about wheels for the MX5, the car doesn't need any more tyre, I just "want" different wheels, so I went looking for something that legally fits the new Pilot Sports +1 size 215/45 17 that I'm currently running on the 17x7 OEM wheels (stock size is 205/45 17), not a silver, and not a black, ended up with gloss bronze Konig Dekagrams in 17x8 +40 which fit without the need for rolling the guards, whilst larger than the OEM wheels they are also lighter than the OEM wheels, and at just under $1300 for the set I'm more than happy with the price

I seen a set of matt black Deka's on a MX5 when I was at MX5 Mania, same wheel size, same tyre size, sat really nice, and not stretched enough to look aids, although the 215/45 17 is the smallest that you can legally fit

Just need to find some good black wheel nuts to suit

dekagram-gloss_bronze_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.ef3136b79699c218fe596b75dafb7948.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray, wheels turned up for the MX5

I now have 2 red toys both with "goldish" rims and I couldn't be happier 

Just need time to get tyres fitted up, I'm considering getting the tyres fitted a "high priority", "main effort" job over the next few days

As for wheel nuts, MX5 Mania gave me a set of nice black spline drive steel wheel nuts and hub rings, which....look nicer than the ones on got off fleabay 

Centre caps are an alloy bolt on jobbie as well,  so won't go missing in the shopping centre car park like my Enkie ones did once

20240806_174546.thumb.jpg.7089de1c7ff6c5a05d23e68236a5b812.jpg

Rear bar is all painted up now as well, real nice job, and a perfect colour match (I must remember not to reverse into anything, and yes, I do have a reversing camera 🙄)

The little daily is coming along nicely 👍

• Like 2

Wheels fitted, tyres look good on them

20240808_162658.thumb.jpg.4b8684c63145bbfa2530324e7843b93e.jpg

I really cannot go any bigger than the current set of PS5 215/45 17 tyres as I've got bugger all clearance from the unrolled guards in the rear, I was a little concerned when I first got them fitted, but I just got back from a hour drive,  throwing it around some bumpy corners and looking for bumps in the hwy to try and bottom out the suspension as much as I could, with no rubbing at all....winning

With the rear guards rolled it will easily fit a 225/45 17, and probably even a 235/40 17, but, it really doesn't need any more tyre, the 215's are sticking fine and a wider tyre for grip isn't needed for the street

• Like 3

Took a spin out to Dural to find some "missing" parts for the the MX5, it's a Racing Beat mid pipe and bolts straight to the GWR ceramic coated headers and Racining Beat muffler,  this now finishes the full exhaust on the "match box car"

20240816_170442.thumb.jpg.1f0f798b3feb85942afb75560c106644.jpg

• Like 3

On 16/08/2024 at 6:09 PM, PranK said:

We have boots, trunks, frunks, froots. .... But what is that ? 

Boot had my gym bag and my big travel bag bag in it, and with a MX5 there's no more room left, so the passenger seat was the only place left to fit the parts

And yes, I could have moved stuff, but as the top was down...."because convenience" 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Bogan said:

Boot had my gym bag and my big travel bag bag in it, and with a MX5 there's no more room left, so the passenger seat was the only place left to fit the parts

And yes, I could have moved stuff, but as the top was down...."because convenience" 

Don't pull this gym bag BS Mark, we know it was your clippers and hair dryer taking up the boot. :P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MBS206 said:

Don't pull this gym bag BS Mark, we know it was your clippers and hair dryer taking up the boot. :P

images(32).thumb.jpeg.f2fd98b9623ebf799431b12c3b057d4d.jpeg

• Haha 2

Removed crusty old mid pipe of the MX5 and took out the O2 sensor, fitted new fancy pants mid pipe, looked for O2 bung on new pipe to fit the O2, nope, looked for a O2 bung on the header, nope.........dropped showbags, headed upstairs and had a beer............ then took new midpipe to exhaust shop to weld in a O2 bung

Got back and put it together.......broke the donut gasket..........back to exhaust shop for new gaskets, got back and finally fitted it all up and took it for a test drive........discovered a rattle at certain RPM, back up on the stands and found the larger midpipe was slightly touching a under body brace.......as the brace is about 16 gauge sheet steel I clearanced it with a breaker bar and some semi-controlled aggression, re-tested it with a quick drive.....hooray, no rattles, no codes, job done and it sounds great so far

I will be taking it for around a 400km run tomorrow and will see how it sounds when on the Hwy doing 110 on cruise, hopefully drone will not be a issue

But what a 5hit fight, normally I just get a custom exhaust made and fitted, but, this time I grabbed the bolt on parts and rolled around under the car on stands to do it all myself, idiot.....I'm getting to old for this 5hit

Note to self: next time just pay cash for a professional to build my exhaust, like I normally do......

• Sad 1

MX5 ran like a dream, hwy driving it is as quiet as stock with the roof down, only the typical roof down wind noise, it is louder when on it, but not obnoxious or tinny/raspy, I put that down to the big resonator and rear box

All over, a good outcome

I have heard......... you can basically drop a 2.5 (big block... LOL) MZR long motor from a 2009+ Mazda 3 or 6 straight in it........a bit more hsprs, but a big chunk more torque, fairly cheap too as the wreckers are full of them

I'm thinking of trying to find a low km one and giving it a refresh and some cams.....maybe, all my auxiliaries and headers from the 2.0 will bolt straight on

Does it need it, nope, but when has that, or common sense, ever got in my way.....🥳

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Then turbo 

Nah, turbo's are problematic with a NC daily, packaging, heat, and the engine would require a proper build to be reliable, so lots of dollars on making a reliable daily not reliable for a daily

Whilst NA life has much less power, it is much simpler and basically stress free, on the engine, drive train, and me, remembering that this is a daily

I might see if I can grab a new 2009+ long motor from Mazda, if they still have them, if not they are going for around $1k ish at wreckers, I would get the wrecker motor rebuilt if I couldn't find a new motor, but a 4 pot is cheapish to do a basic lowish power higher reving rebuild on

3 hours ago, The Bogan said:

Nah, turbo's are problematic with a NC daily, packaging, heat, and the engine would require a proper build to be reliable, so lots of dollars on making a reliable daily not reliable for a daily

Whilst NA life has much less power, it is much simpler and basically stress free, on the engine, drive train, and me, remembering that this is a daily

I might see if I can grab a new 2009+ long motor from Mazda, if they still have them, if not they are going for around $1k ish at wreckers, I would get the wrecker motor rebuilt if I couldn't find a new motor, but a 4 pot is cheapish to do a basic lowish power higher reving rebuild on

Fab9 kit is bolt and away you go.

You'd be crazy to consider another motor and that motor not be a 2.5 if you want N/A!

On 24/08/2024 at 11:32 PM, Kinkstaah said:

Fab9 kit is bolt and away you go.

You'd be crazy to consider another motor and that motor not be a 2.5 if you want N/A!

Just sent a query to MX5 Mania about a 2.5 swap

Asking about sourcing a low km 2009+ engine (the newer the better) that fits the bill, also what kind of testing and inspections are done, plus what supporting mods they recommend for a NA build, like the benefits of cams and stuff

As I'm a lazy no talent MOFO, it will be drive in-drive out jobbie

And going of used engine prices, I should be able to sell my 2.0 long motor for about the same cost as a newer 2.5, which is nice, plus the 2009+ 2.5 engines have better internals, as in better bearings, forged crank and rods, and much more efficient top end than the 2.0

From my understanding, the added top end power, bolt on tuned 2.0 to bolt on tuned 2.5, is only a 10% gain, it has heaps more kw and torque everywhere under the curve,  and you don't need to rev the shit out of it to get it on the boil

If a "tweeked" 2.5 swap gave me the same "pull" in the mid range that the K24 with the header and tune that the Euro Accord has in it does I would be more than happy with the swap, and anything more on top would be cream

Do the young kids still say YOLO......

29 minutes ago, The Bogan said:

OK, but only if your paying, I take bank transfers or cash

If I'm paying, it'd be the most unreliable, janked together setup you've seen.

I can do drive in, drive out. But don't expect it till 2038 at the earliest... And thats being optimistic... :P

• Haha 1