SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

Just booked in for the 2.5 swap at the end of the month, also added some cams because..... "while we're in there"

The 2.5 motor is inspected and has around 50K km on it

images(35).thumb.jpeg.a601250107619a26b667e2a14bd22b3e.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh btw, if you are looking to sell this car, I know someone who is looking to buy it.

(after missing out on the QLD one with all this already done to it, like you did :p)

He's still trying to track that car down though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

Oh btw, if you are looking to sell this car, I know someone who is looking to buy it.

(after missing out on the QLD one with all this already done to it, like you did :p)

He's still trying to track that car down though.

The daughter has already stated, after having a practice thrash in it, that the MX5 is not to be sold but given to her

I asked if she wanted the commodore as well, she said "no thankyou" 🤣 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Bogan said:

The daughter has already stated, after having a practice thrash in it, that the MX5 is not to be sold but given to her

I asked if she wanted the commodore as well, she said "no thankyou" 🤣 

You can give the commodore to me. :P

• Haha 1

I have to say I quite like how you take it one step at a time. Others would have the car sitting in a shed for two years until all the upgrades are in place. You keep the car in driving condition and incrementally make it better.

Though I don't think anyone is doubting that it will end up with double the cylinders and or boosted. Regardless of how much you are denying it right now :P

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, soviet_merlin said:

I have to say I quite like how you take it one step at a time. Others would have the car sitting in a shed for two years until all the upgrades are in place. You keep the car in driving condition and incrementally make it better.

Though I don't think anyone is doubting that it will end up with double the cylinders and or boosted. Regardless of how much you are denying it right now :P

If I had more skill and aptitude I might be one of those people who do big builds over long periods of time, for one thing I would save alot of money from labour costs

But I don't have the skills or aptitude, so I work out my "cunning plan" and "pay cash now" for what I want

44 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Yes, I shall refer everyone to my post on page 65 when the time comes to double the 2.5 capacity.

If I lived in 'Merica, where it was legal to do, dropping in a LS would be simplistic and relatively cheap thing do for all the parts required, but, here in OZ, where all the parts are at a premium, and there are alot of power train and drive train parts required, it is in no way cost, logistically or a legally viable enterprise

But as previously stated, a bolt on turbo in OZ, whilst costly and legally possible with enough coin and engineering, it again isn't a financially viable option for a daily run around

Whilst I am spending a fair bit of coin on the MX5, it is all basically bolt on OEM parts for a quick turn around, and logistically simple for legalities like rego and insurance, plus, I get to keep all of the OEM reliability

Will it have a big dyno number, nope, not that much hsprs added up top really, but it will be much better than now due to a heap more torque and hsprs under the curve when it comes to plodding around town and sitting on the Hwy

I'll leave the big hsprs builds for the guys who are happy to negate reliability, or are happy to keep fixing their cars, or leaving them sit in a garage and only bringing them out for the occasional cruise

I'm currently trying to justify to myself keeping the Commodore, it only comes out once a month, maybe, and whilst it is well sorted and there is nothing else I need to do to it for what I want it for, I keep thinking to myself "would I really miss it", as I kind of think I enjoy going on long cruises in the MX5 more than the Commodore now

I also have no appetite for going to the drags or running around a race track, nowadays I enjoy just cruising around

Edit: Maybe I'm just getting old....

download(6).jpeg.23c0fe22d5ee0bb3280b162b3848c6ff.jpeg

• Like 2

Commodore needs a manual box, and then to made into a convertible.

Old man's comfortable MX5 then!

Also, $50 and some pocket lint for the Commodore? :P

Fully agree with what you are saying @The Bogan! I just think it's funny because you build your cars to such a high standard whilst denying at each step that it'll go any further.

I think the questions have to be "Can I afford it?" and "Does this bring me joy?". More so than being financially sensible, which really, most of us here aren't. At least when it comes to cars.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soviet_merlin said:

Fully agree with what you are saying @The Bogan! I just think it's funny because you build your cars to such a high standard whilst denying at each step that it'll go any further.

I think the questions have to be "Can I afford it?" and "Does this bring me joy?". More so than being financially sensible, which really, most of us here aren't. At least when it comes to cars.

I agree, but, I am coming to asking myself "should I do it", especially for what I want the car for, as I'm not building a race car, or something that runs 10's in the quarter, in the end how much "power" do I actually need for a "reliable" fun street car, that will only see local streets and country cruises

As for the Commodore, and all cars really, and whilst I like the cars I've owned for multiple reasons, and enjoy cruising around in them, I have no real emotional attachments to them, I see them as a toy to play with, or a fun conveyance to get me somewhere

In saying this, like everyone knows, I cannot leave any bits that I feel need improvements, but I'm also looking at what I "don't need to do" for a street car, like more power than what is required for the street, big brake kits, body kits, or things that give minimal gains like a aftermarket CAI or ITB's that "bolt straight on" but only give a few hsprs up top for alot of coin......(yes, ITB's do "sound" epic and I admit I was looking into them for a while)

Although I am still looking for a detachable hard top for it, it needs to be NC specific though, as NA-NB mount differently, and not alot of the OEM NC ones came into OZ, so far I have not found one available in OZ, there are new aftermarket options available, but, I may need to use poly for the rear screen and sort out something for the rear demister, but I really really want a old OEM one, as for how much a new OEM one costs, let's just say "alot"

I haven't checked stock availability of these, or what the shipping is, but yeah...... https://www.garage5.net/softhard-top/mazda-mx5-nc-hard-top-genuine-detachable-optional-extra

If anyone has one laying around, of any colour, feel free to send me a msg, I pick up and pay cash now....

22 hours ago, The Bogan said:

If I lived in 'Merica, where it was legal to do, dropping in a LS would be simplistic and relatively cheap thing do for all the parts required, but, here in OZ, where all the parts are at a premium, and there are alot of power train and drive train parts required, it is in no way cost, logistically or a legally viable enterprise

WHAT IF I TOLD YOU........

That said, for 'fun cruising' there nothing that beats a MX5. 2.5L N/A would be just peak. Nobody needs anything more, and nearly nothing is more fun. Reject what other people say and go with your heart, if nobody is watching... EVERYONE likes a MX5 with the roof down, if they fit in it.

Commo great if you want to shuttle multiple people around in comfort and hear rumble. If you do not need this facility, then, well...

• Like 1

Gave the MX5 a detail and checked over everything, only know issue were the discs, which had a lip on both the front and rear, I was going to replace them when I got the new calipers, but forgot, so ordered some new ones today

Screenshot_20240907_195123_AOL.thumb.jpg.3baaf610269c99b1f501ced616f18d73.jpg

On 9/6/2024 at 9:09 AM, Kinkstaah said:

WHAT IF I TOLD YOU........

That said, for 'fun cruising' there nothing that beats a MX5. 2.5L N/A would be just peak. Nobody needs anything more, and nearly nothing is more fun. Reject what other people say and go with your heart, if nobody is watching... EVERYONE likes a MX5 with the roof down, if they fit in it.

Commo great if you want to shuttle multiple people around in comfort and hear rumble. If you do not need this facility, then, well...

I think how I see it, something like MX5 more fun for things like a mountain cruise, or through roundabouts. But daily driving around, commodore, just to listen to the V8 rumble, big auto, so lazy drive. Also good if you like to be quicker than the P Platers at the traffic lights without trying :P Turbo cars and smaller engines not as easy, as you need to ring them out harder especially off the mark if you want to beat them.

But MX5 would be more fun on a winding road like Mac Pass/Natio park, as you can push the motor harder and row through the gears without hitting a billion miles an hour.

1 hour ago, MBS206 said:

I think how I see it, something like MX5 more fun for things like a mountain cruise, or through roundabouts. But daily driving around, commodore, just to listen to the V8 rumble, big auto, so lazy drive. Also good if you like to be quicker than the P Platers at the traffic lights without trying :P Turbo cars and smaller engines not as easy, as you need to ring them out harder especially off the mark if you want to beat them.

But MX5 would be more fun on a winding road like Mac Pass/Natio park, as you can push the motor harder and row through the gears without hitting a billion miles an hour.

The MX5 is a way better daily than the SS

The only real reason to keep the SS is when we go away and pick up the kids, or for extended road trips where we need the extra room for all of Jackies luggagesesezzzz and make up bag, and the 20 pairs of shoes she might need for 7 days away from home, it also has a tow bar which is handy for when we hire box trailers

Also I'm to old to be a traffic light hero, plus I like my licence to much, there is also the issue of having 3 NSW police officers in the immediate family who would never stop giving me 5hit if I got done being stupid