SAU Community

R32 GTS25 RB25de+t using an unchipped RB20det ecu?

I've got a R32 that came stock with the non VCT RB25DE.  I'm looking to do a mild +t setup with mostly factory components.  I've read some old threads where they mention running the RB20DE+T setups with the stock turbo ECU.  I'm wondering if I will be safe to do the same.  My power goals are pretty mild since I'll be using just a stock RB20 turbo at first and I have an 45v4 RB25det turbo that I will upgrade to if it doesn't blow up on me.  From what I have read, it seems that the RB25DE and RB20DET use the same injectors and MAFS so I'm hoping to see if anyone can confirm that this will work for me.

Thanks

It doesn't seem like it would be too terrible of an idea. It seems that I've read that some people do the r32 rb20de+t with a GTST ecu with no chip and it runs fine as long as mafs and injectors are the same. And with the r32 rb25de being so similar to the rb20 I figured it would at least run fine on low boost. I'll have a wideband to monitor AFR's.

If Disaster occurs, it will be due to detonation. Start with setting the timing a good few degrees retarded and you will need to listen for detonation, you can build a little knock listening device cheaply and easily, a wideband would be very useful to monitor the afr as well.

Yeah, that is basically what I had planned. All stock components, only like 7 psi and retarded timing a few degrees.

I have known a lot of people who have done s13 ka24 turbo conversions with just retarded timing and an FMU with low boost and have run them a long time. That's basically what I am going for. I understand that a chipped ecu or standalone is the best option but I'm really just looking to wake the car up a bit.

Edited by zerepdivad

Why spend the money required to add the boost without spending the little extra money to make sure that you don't accidentally grenade it? Seems like a return to the stupid days of the late 80s early 90s where we didn't have the options that we do today.

• Like 1

GTSBoy makes a sound argument, however having been is similar situations myself where I couldn't afford or justify purchasing a aftermarket ecu, there is always a way. Projects like this provide an opportunity to learn alot. Here in NZ we have trademe and over the years I have bought a few older standalone ecus for around $100. Your proposed setup would be far from perfect, but it could work. Detonation is your enemy here!, run good fuel and build a listening device.

Just dont do it. I'm with GTSBoy not tearing you down mate, but you'd be better off getting a 25det and all ancillaries that come with that motor including ecu and be done with it. Keep the 32 ecu for nistune and boogie ?

Sounds like nistune is the way I'll be going. I'd be lying if I said that I don't plan on at least trying the GTST ecu and see what happens on a drive down the block.  I'll be on the lookout for a nistune chipped ecu second hand. The problem is that nobody near me tuned it so I'll have to figure that part out.

Look up a guy called Toshi Tune on FB or here. I don't think he's been on this forum for a while but he does remote tunes while you drive. He is good with Nistune. Sounds crazy but might be a good option for you if you don't have anyone there to do it. He is very very good "Japanese style tuning" is his motto.

Poor man pays twice.....
Do it once and do it right. Helped with a few NA+T conversions on a few cars and with what is available these days it is easy & relatively affordable to do.  The performance gain is nothing just adding the turbo without all the supporting fuel & ignition stuff. 

This is the only way I would do a NA+T Nissan these days

Nistune
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/ecus/listing-2598731886.htm?rsqid=544f00f97d7445d8a2bb6cc625d524a1-001

AFM
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/electrics/listing-2582866171.htm?rsqid=bd2234b74bfa46ddafc477cd90d356e0-003

Add a fuel pump like an Aeromotive stealth 300, factory turbo fuel reg, standard turbo or gtr injectors and enjoy a car that is reliable and fun with the option to go further in the furture. 

I will be on the lookout for a nistune ecu. The software and cable seem to bump the price up quite a bit.

I'm in the US so I'm not sure about buying from trademe as far as shipping. 

1 hour ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Hey this is 2020 - we have aeroplanes!  And I know for sure that postage from NZ to the US is a fraction of the shipping charges that ebay sellers seem to want!

That's mainly what I was basing the shipping being expensive from. eBay sellers shipping from Australia are often crazy overpriced for shipping.