SAU Community

Possible swap on R34 RB20DE NEO?

Hi. 
Soon i will be owner of Skyline R34 with RB20DE Neo engine and manual trans.
Car was cheap and has done 209 000 KM.
I dont mind the "poor" power of the engine but it can be in a bad shape.
So what engine type i can "easily" swap in instead of this one?

I looked for the info about this model but this type of car is crazy rare and not much of the info about it...
FYI iam from different country so no P plates or any power restriction but that is not case...
Plan is the 100% reliable engine/car. Skylines(R34) are even rarer in here so spare parts and anything on it i expensive.

Thank you for the info.

I see that you have already asked this question and got all the answers back in March. Did you get a GT4 or is your car RWD only in which case the only difference is you can buy any RB25DET (preferably with a gearbox) and then spend money doing that up.

15 hours ago, Kapr said:

Hi. 
Soon i will be owner of Skyline R34 with RB20DE Neo engine and manual trans.
Car was cheap and has done 209 000 KM.
I dont mind the "poor" power of the engine but it can be in a bad shape.
So what engine type i can "easily" swap in instead of this one?

I looked for the info about this model but this type of car is crazy rare and not much of the info about it...
FYI iam from different country so no P plates or any power restriction but that is not case...
Plan is the 100% reliable engine/car. Skylines(R34) are even rarer in here so spare parts and anything on it i expensive.

Thank you for the info.

The actual answer is

If you need to ask what engine you can easily swap, you can't do it.

• Like 1
  • Nope 1

18 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

I see that you have already asked this question and got all the answers back in March. Did you get a GT4 or is your car RWD only in which case the only difference is you can buy any RB25DET (preferably with a gearbox) and then spend money doing that up.

No that GT4 has rust all over ? This car maybe have "junky" engine but little to no rust in the engine bay(literally no at the worst part)
This is RB20DE NEO RWD.

May i ask why with gearbox? Is it just better to buy(do that) like complete "set" or is the gearbox in this car different?

4 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

The actual answer is

If you need to ask what engine you can easily swap, you can't do it.

Yes i can't do it..but iam just asking for the info just to know what should be the "easiest" option to consider...

6 hours ago, Kapr said:

May i ask why with gearbox? Is it just better to buy(do that) like complete "set" or is the gearbox in this car different?

The RB25DET gearbox is big and strong. Any box that came behind ANY RB20 is not. They do not last long when pushed by a 25.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:55 AM, Kapr said:

Skylines(R34) are even rarer in here so spare parts and anything on it i expensive.

Considering this, why not put in whatever your local meme engine swap option is? ie. in Australia it would be the LS1, surely there's a similar local option in abundance?

Thank you for all yours answers :-)
Ok so with RB25DE(T)...new gearbox(or just complete engine with gearbox already on it).

For the other engines i dont know...in our country people drives 2.0TDI (diesel turbo) :-D
I want to stick with RB family and i looked at my option and best bet is RB25DET (non NEO) from R33 GTS-T

Thanks.
Anyone know anything about this engine?
What about coilpacks and sparkplugs?
What choice do i have here? Can i use one from DET model?
Everywhere i looked only info i can find is about DET not much about DE NEO...:-/ 

• 4 years later...

Hi.
After a 4 long/short years i wanna ask. Just ask cuz i know it would be a ALOT work but.

https://3gspares.co.nz/collections/engines/products/nissan-r34-skyline-rb25det-neo-turbo-5mt-complete-engine-motor-package-104-400km-gt-t

I found this engine...it looks like it has all the things you need to for the swap. It looks clean and in very good condition
How hard would it be to swap instead of RB20DE NEO(factory 5spd manual)

I know the gearbox is weak but it should just plug n play for a while no?
I have better fuel pump(mine went bad) and brakes are from GTT.

Iam just asking around to gather info. Only considering this cuz i know these guys and this engine IMO is completed package for swap.

5 hours ago, Kapr said:

How hard would it be to swap instead of RB20DE NEO

Not hard. It is a factory option for the car.

If you are planning to do the swap yourself and you have to ask if it's hard or not, then it sounds like you will find it quite challenging to do. 

Does the budget allow for the purchase of a RB25DET gearbox at the same time? Life will be so much easier if you can swap both the motor and box together, and it's not like your saving yourself any money either, you WILL need the bigger box in future. By doing it now you will save time, money and you won't find yourself broken down at the most inconvenient time in the future.

• Like 2

Hi. Thank you for the answer. No i will not do it myself. My mechanic is very capable IMO but problem are parts. I need to order everything from abroad specialy from JAP/AUD/NZ cuz we do not have anything here.
The "hard" part is for the parts...is this engine iam looking for has "everything" i need for the swap or are there any parts i would need?
I know factory air box is missing but i have HKS air filter and some of the old DE air box would fit in. I know that intercooler is missing too but that is aftermarket stuff and that should be easy to get even in here.

As for the money on gearbox...i do but i do not at the same time. I want to have some money on the side cuz i know something will go bad or need to replace.

Iam seeing this as project for many month/year+ so no need to rush.

As i was saying iam only looking into this cuz this particular engine. I know the 3G Spares have reliable parts.
Other engines i saw are mostly (like 99%) AWD engines with "no" history and ton of parts missing.

1 hour ago, Kapr said:

is this engine iam looking for has "everything" i need for the swap or are there any parts i would need?

You'd have more luck finding that out by contacting 3G Spares, rather then asking some randoms on the internet. 

Direct from their ad, "Complete Engine Motor Package" "OEM factory complete RWD RB25DET Neo turbo engine package" "Engine conversion package".

I mean, you say you want to do an engine conversion. They say it's a complete engine conversion package... I can only assume you want what they have. But yeah, maybe just ask them if you have any concerns. 

With the (absolutely compulsory, I might add) turbo gearbox, you will need the different tailshaft. Cannot use the shaft from the skinny tranny.

And, you will also want an LSD. There will be no point having a 25DET with an open diff. You will catch AIDS and die.

• Like 1

I ask them...of course how much would be the shipping too :-) I know i can ask them...i just ask here if by the description on their website is everything there for the swap. I know some major parts etc but iam not mechanic...so maybe someone who is far more experienced would see and say...oh yeah you will need this too and this will not work...this type of stuff :-) I just gathering as much info i can get.

@GTSBoy: i cannot? It is good to know...i saw on the other forums that they use shafts and gearbox from RB20DE (i think the RB25DE has the same "weak" trans?)
LSD i would get here...some folks have this from theirs GTTs...

Yeah i already typed few people around here if they have/can get GTT trans :-) 

Ok so with new trans i need GTT/trans propshaft. 
With that RB20DE NEO trans..i know it depends on condition but can i at least drive with it? I do not mean trash it... just to drive it around/to shop/garage.
I know some people have same trans on RB25DET and make on it 10k+ km ...but some of them blow it after couple of km
Iam talking part/compability wise.

Apart from that...is there anything else i maybe looking to get/need?

Yes, you can fit the engine to it and drive it. The torque of the 25 will trash the input shaft bearings in fairly short order. If you boost the power up much at all, you risk breaking things more seriously.

I destroyed 2x of these on an RB20 at under 180rwkW. Not thrashing.