SAU Community

Rob's S Chassis track cars. Now with more s15 and less 180sx

robbo_rb180

All the best with the new job! Seems mechanicing for race teams is a bit like joining Qantas because you like travel; they take advantage of your enthusiasm. But still, should be an amazing way to pick up skills and good habits.

Also, the shed looks great including the covered area out the front....just need to fill it with more tools and benches now :)

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 2:07 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I reckon if we all banded together, we'll make a great race team (build, fab, tune, pit, race) all under one roof.

No need for external vendors.

We could always buy a cheap shitter as a group and go endurance racing????

11 hours ago, No Crust Racing said:

We could always buy a cheap shitter as a group and go endurance racing????

Your new rig ticks that box šŸ˜

Just let me prep it firstĀ 

Ā 

180sx looks weird without it's stickers

20240422_195615.thumb.jpg.d103cc9e11590843c31380adc359b1b3.jpg

• Like 1

I mean something that fits in under MER 5k budget endurance rules. I asked, they do allow 86s but in a specific category/penalties applies and they were pretty clear that it was I think ME1 (category) that often takes the cake.Ā 

Ā 

Never run out of power with all those power points? Ha! Electrics need upgrade, you're missing 3 Phase...

Ā 

Please call when 3 phase is sorted before I have to setup a single to 3 phase to run the lathe...

• Haha 1

• robbo_rb180 changed the title to Rob's S Chassis track cars. Now with more s15 and less 180sx
  • 1 month later...

Been ages since I did anything on the s15 but got some time and motivation over the weekend.

Brakes are now fitted with fresh seals, hardware and pads. Bolted up with the alpha omega brackets, just waiting on 2 fittings and sensors to Bleed them.

20240608_173700.thumb.jpg.2ddfee2a7ad8fe32d41a7fadf2362e4e.jpg

20240608_184259.thumb.jpg.c3cb84b49b7fa5b75898115c331a16c5.jpg

20240608_185010.thumb.jpg.23eac34b58c713d2e10d875f5ef26a27.jpg

20240608_182552.thumb.jpg.e52ea0dcb676c7b60085f14017d9583c.jpg

20240611_165209.thumb.jpg.b0b109a52aa15f09b9e6243e7481196d.jpg

With that done moved onto the fuel system. The injectors have been cleaned ,flow tested, new filters and orings.Ā 

Made a bracket to hold the surge tank with surge tank and pumps mounted then plumbed. Roll-over valve done too. Need to make a new loom and add individual relays for it all.

20240602_204731.thumb.jpg.109fa6ea7df8145c741a0fdf854bf6f0.jpg

20240611_162902.thumb.jpg.b18081c3cfffa4a63f28341d07af789c.jpg

20240611_162904.thumb.jpg.6c31e36c5d4a8121ba8fcc44d98df556.jpg

Had new flange welded on inlet manifold for a bosch 74mm DBW throttle body.Ā 

20240611_121753.thumb.jpg.a4a5ae793eed1530bd68a2e6f17e491a.jpg

Coolant bypass hose done with some fittings welded on now then soda blasted.

20240611_165133.thumb.jpg.a79a207694c823e92bc15369fe01093e.jpg

Waiting on sensors to arrive to install and pwr for radiator and intercooler still. Getting to point of buying an ECU and looking like may be going something else as link doesn't have enough inputs.

Ā 

Work has been awesome with first trip to Perth and now on the way to Darwin looking for a good result there.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bcozican said:

awesome work mate !

Emtron for ECU I recon (dependant on tuner) but link is pretty good can you buy expander box ?

I was actually going to send you a message about motec and how you found its traction control. Emtron is also being considered but looking for aĀ  decent ecu then add a pdm later.

Wanting to have software that has timing system and track maps for everywhere too.

The link g5 pro is same price as m150 too

Msg awayĀ šŸ˜†

obviously I didnt get specific details about what you wanted etc but know the Emtrons can do most of the same as M150 and little cheaper

Otherwise M150 yeah does absolutely everything but you do pay extra to add on this and update that ie: logging normal vs pro package etc

Ā 

traction control - well helps hold my carĀ šŸ˜„Ā obviously combined with other tuning factors built in blaa blaaĀ  Ā we work it off wheel speed sensors for Bosch ABS and have setup for various slip percentage selectable via keypad

I'll chime in here with my experience.

Motec is great if you have the money and know a good person to support you. They don't really offer retail support and the dealers make SFA margin on the product, so the business model is setup for you to be supported by a dealer. I'm lucky enough to know a guy who's ex Motec and very generous with his time and is a total boffin. In addition to that, I also use Brad Sherriff who's an absolute legend to work with.

The downside to Motec is the software isn't very intuitive, pay to play, poor/limited online support and costly upgrades.Ā 

I've not owned an Emtron myself but a good friend runs a performance workshop in Melbourne who is an Emtron dealer. They won't be fitting any more to customer cars because of the poor level of knowledge within the Emtron support team and lack of ability to solve issues with the platform. Not to mention the circumstances around the establishment of the product and company in the first place.

I've run Motec's since the old M8's back in the early 2000's so I'm certainly not without a bias but I look at it like this. Everyone acknowledges Motec as the best consumer grade product without spending mega dollars on Bosch Motorsport / Life Racing and so on. When you consider the real cost of your car (not what you tell your mrs) the cost difference between an Emtron and a Motec is tiny, why would you compromise over a few hundred dollars?

• Like 2

I'm not sure if they tick your boxes, but Haltech would be my pick.

I'm an Adaptronic guy from way back, and Haltech acquired Adaptronic to basically get Andy, AND his IP on how he does things like fuel modelling etc.

I've got a Nexus for one of my other cars and I was surprised how simple it is to use and seems like a good quality bit of gear. The tech support guys are good to chat with too.

Big thing is available inputs for sensors and not having to run multiple expander boxes and software packages for different things why motec is up there. The link ecu and an aim pdm32 was a combination I looked at early on so get ecu, dash and pdm in one go. Aim logging software is pretty good and has all the tracks I will ever drive.

Having logging setup with tracks already available is a big thing for myself so can click drop down and go.

Thing that I keep seeing is the support what's needed and having a package that people in the know are familiar with as learning a new platform is time consuming.Ā 

Ā 

Got a few boxes that arrived with bits while I was away so hopefully will fit a few sensors and make a start on the dump pipe today. Going to be interesting fitting a 3.5 inch exhaust on this and keeping it above the chassis rails.Ā 

On 18/06/2024 at 8:28 AM, robbo_rb180 said:

Big thing is available inputs for sensors and not having to run multiple expander boxes and software packages for different things why motec is up there. The link ecu and an aim pdm32 was a combination I looked at early on so get ecu, dash and pdm in one go. Aim logging software is pretty good and has all the tracks I will ever drive.

Having logging setup with tracks already available is a big thing for myself so can click drop down and go.

Thing that I keep seeing is the support what's needed and having a package that people in the know are familiar with as learning a new platform is time consuming.Ā 

Ā 

Got a few boxes that arrived with bits while I was away so hopefully will fit a few sensors and make a start on the dump pipe today. Going to be interesting fitting a 3.5 inch exhaust on this and keeping it above the chassis rails.Ā 

Good call on the Link/Aim option, it looks like Haltech left the track logging market when they dropped the IQ3 a few years back.Ā  Interested in seeing how you go as I'm starting to think about options for the new race car and won't be going Motec due to price/self-supportability

11 hours ago, Duncan said:

Good call on the Link/Aim option, it looks like Haltech left the track logging market when they dropped the IQ3 a few years back.Ā  Interested in seeing how you go as I'm starting to think about options for the new race car and won't be going Motec due to price/self-supportability

New race car?

• 2 weeks later...

Have made a start on the dump pipe. Ordered a few 3.5 inch bends and pie cuts. To make fit up and tacking a bit easier cut some slots in an old t bolt clamp.

20240618_143110.thumb.jpg.21d84a1672884c08fc0caf14c4bad36c.jpg

20240618_143829.thumb.jpg.c5962e836b35b35107dcc5a8ed27720f.jpg

20240618_144047.thumb.jpg.f3da4bcce2335e918b3995a856426d18.jpg

It's been a tight fit but managedto get it down under the car but still sits about 5-6mm below the chassis rail.

20240618_141901.thumb.jpg.9ad2e95876ab96b0b76763848273c079.jpg

20240618_152644.thumb.jpg.4431d3b09fc977eba3269cee7725bbc0.jpg

20240618_162811.thumb.jpg.9b14fe976909c850aa786230d94425cd.jpg

20240618_162832.thumb.jpg.406f5d9db336ebcd73c2dbe99360f6f3.jpg

20240618_164027.thumb.jpg.9ec42a3ba19c8e2fa2403e3fb6ffabdd.jpg

20240618_164100.thumb.jpg.d09ebe4b2b66c435d076d521490996e8.jpg

Have started to weld it out but not had much time. Also got new orings and gasket so intake and injectors are back in with all the water bypass done.

Another box arrived with bits for making aĀ  swirl pot off the upper coolant neck. PWR are still waiting to make my intercooler and radiator but should be ready in 2 weeks.

Slowly making a plan for a few suspension arm upgrades for when all engine/driveline is done.

Got a busy period for workĀ  ext few weeks so not much will happen on the car.

• Like 4