SAU Community

First time Skyline R33 GTS-T Build

Jake Simkin

Hi there everyone! It is a pleasure to be here. My brother passed away recently and never got to finish his 1996 Skyline R33 build so I decided to finish it to honour him and get it on the road. I am clean to get it onto the road and hopefully spec it up as I go along but would like to pass the road worthy and get it on the road. I am wondering do I have to present it stock or can I put on a body kit. If I can do a body kit, I am looking for front bar that not too low to ground so I don't trash it on the speed bumps Melbourne has up. Also maybe a side skirt? I am new to building up cars but I know a few things about doing up bikes. My brother had extra gauges as well, do I need to remove them as well?

I picked up some new tyres and got them on. Ordered a new fuel OEM fuel pump but waiting on it and mail taking forever. I would like to get some aftermarket headlights and maybe some nifty back light but should I do them after roadworthy?

Friends said they would help me do a spray job as long as I did some of the legwork in prepping it. I am thinking black with red liones. My bro was always a bit of a Michael Jordan fan so black and red Chicago Bulls colour seemed appropriate.

Anyway i would love your suggestions where I could go on the Skyline. In the end I probably be not racing it but I would like it to good with cool features.

Anyway hit me for suggestions or say hi, I am looking to hopefully learn a lot about working on this car. And once again, thanks for letting me join.

The car even got a SAU sticker already on it though some of it is peeling though I want to get some new ones on there!

I am also looking for the original gear knob as I have a Nismo long gear knob. Also interested in doing some new hoses in red. Just picked up some Mishimoto radiator hoses in red. 

I am in Melbourne and currently building the car in Laverton.

in regards Jake

121269838_10157206292407016_70124670515019376_n.jpg

121453307_10157206292382016_7161037515360858599_n.jpg

121716809_10157206292487016_3323384362962414064_n.jpg

DSC01092 2.JPG

• Like 2

Hey Jake,

Sorry for your loss.

Your Skyline looks like a good base car to start on.

First thing I'd do is wash and detail the hell out of it.

This will give you an idea of the overall condition and may well give you a better path for what needs to be fixed first.

If you can put some front end and interior pics as well SAU members can see really whats going on and voice further opinions.

For a start type M side skirts will beef up the sides and even possibly cover up that ding on the back left side.

That looks like a type S front bar, and may even be a series 1 front, but its a bit hard to see from the pic so changing it out with a factory type M front bar will do wonders for the look of it.

Sweet project 

I would go red base with black

Reasoning is black paint is hard to get good

Anyways, good luck with your project, I'm sure you bro would be happy just knowing your giving the car some love

Main thing is to get that puppy serviced, running well and rego'ed

Enjoy

red-nissan-gtr-black-edition-r35-5-spoke-lightweight-adv1-wheels-3-piece-rims-a-970x661.jpg

images.jpeg-2.jpg

What a honour for you to honour your brother, to keep his spirit alive. You look to have a great base to continue your brothers dream. 

Have you considered a wrap, meaning you could go more into the MJ theme with graphics, even a half wrap, this will expose the car as well, front half white, half wrap on sides and back. 

Enjoy working on it, the goal is in the process

• Like 1

welcome.

im sure no matter what you do, your brother would appreciate it.

as above, black isnt just hard to get right, its also hard to maintain. 

red could be cool, or just leave it white with red and black accents throughout.

not sure about Vic, but in NSW, its much easier to get a standard car passed than any mods.

just take it slow and see if your feelings change. 

• 2 weeks later...