SAU Community

i have a question on an engine swap and i cant seem to find anything related to it so i thought id come here, so i wanna put a worked 304 fuel injected 5ltr v8 into my r33 series 2 gtst.

all i want to know is will the old v8 fit into the engine bay without having to modify it heavily?

57 minutes ago, EXODVS_FTP said:

all i want to know is will the old v8 fit into the engine bay without having to modify it heavily?

You just have not looked very hard. (Jesus, I say that a lot ) I googled Ford V8 in Skyline  there are many examples. Even a R34 that has a 410 cu Ford. Seek and you will find mate. If a 410 fits in a 34 then yes a 304 will fit. But as GTSBoy would say" WHY"   LS3 bigger, better and mucho information on how to do it.

@Rusty Nuts Thanks for answering the question boss man, and I didn't find anything to do with the 304 swap im new to the mechanical side of things and i dont know anything about Ford motors idk what a 410 is tbh grew up round Holden people thats why seeing a Ford motor in a 34 in some article wouldn't help me i didnt know the 410 was the same size as the 304.

And i dont wanna go with an ls because I love my Aussie built holden motors dont wanna use the ls its boring everyone puts em in everything they're everywhere and iv not seen a 304 in skyline before, im essentialy taking the motors out of both my cars and swapping them into each other, so rb25det powered vs ute and a aussie v8 powered r33.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EXODVS_FTP said:

i dont know anything about Ford motors idk what a 410 is tbh

Ford 410 cubic inch is a big block motor, they are huge, way bigger than any aussie v8. If you want to do the swap, Follow your dream mate, and all power too you. At least the VS RB25det swap has been done and plenty of info out there.

• Like 1

https://www.boostcruising.com/advice/404393-VS-UTE-Engine-Conversion-TO-Rb25det.html  you will find some good info such as the following paragraph

fitting a rb20det into a vp for the simple fact i had a ute with no motor and rb20det sitting there. use the vl crossmember with one vl engine mount and one skyline mount. fit the commodore crossmember to the nissan box and elongate the holes and it will fit. does require custom tailshaft. use a vl powersteering pump and vl power steering lines. one of the supports from the engine to the bottum of the gearbox needs modding to clear the steering rack. rad hoses are also hard as the commodore has narrower engine bay so standard skyline ones hit but you can just use a vl radiator.im currently fabricating allow hoses so i can run them where i want. i also am using the commodore alternator so all the existing wiring plugs back in. doing the clutch gear is the hardest. is yours auto or manual and whats its gonna be. my issue is that my vp was manual with a cable that pulls and the box is hydraulic with a slave that pushes which means modding the pedal box to accept a hydraulic push type setup and you are restricted badly by room issues.then just simpler things like fuel pumps but commodore pump will handle a stock rb engine. then theres FMIC and piping which is not the easiest and ive also put a engine oil cooler in the front with braided lines and its all a bery tight fit. all in all its not as easy as i thought but is doable.

• Like 1

Doing things to be different or unique always ends up being fairly pointless and a wild waste of money.

Yes ls engines are common, for a reason. You have to spend heaps of cash on a 304 to make decent power, and what have you really achieved?

Your engine swap between two cars makes so little sense, just leave the engines in the cars they are already in and use the time and effort on something productive. That's my 2 cents that you didn't ask for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Yes ls engines are common, for a reason. You have to spend heaps of cash on a 304 to make decent power, and what have you really achieved?

I understand the money cost of a 304 but I'm not after some 1000kw 304 I simply want a 304 swapped r33 with say 300kw I know it's not hard to get that type of power my mates vs wagon pulls that no problem.

And as for what I would achieve? To most nothing but im not building my cars for others im building them for me.

If somethings easy its not worth doing, words to live by lad.

4 hours ago, EXODVS_FTP said:

I understand the money cost of a 304 but I'm not after some 1000kw 304 I simply want a 304 swapped r33 with say 300kw I know it's not hard to get that type of power my mates vs wagon pulls that no problem.

And as for what I would achieve? To most nothing but im not building my cars for others im building them for me.

If somethings easy its not worth doing, words to live by lad.

Electrically its really pretty simple. There'd be no swap reason this wouldn't work if the dimensions are remotely similar (are they? I do not know).

The kicker of course is legality. Does the 304 put out similar emissions to your R33's RB25? The target must be met by the standard of the chassis, not the engine. Meaning your engine may pass in a 1988 commodore, but will be illegal in a 2000 Skyline etc. Unless it meets the year 2000 requirements.

The LS itself is extremely dumb and I am assuming an older V8 is even "dumber" so it'll definitely 'work'.. as long as it fits and depends heavily on what you want to keep.

I kept AC, and power steering, I cared about OEM dashes working OEM. Most importantly I cared about legality. Depending on how much you care about this depends heavily on how complex a job it will turn out to be.

• Like 2