SAU Community

AFM options in 2022 for RB26 and Nistune

I'm getting prepared to tune my 260rs with the following main components. Nistune ECU on E85 with flex, Garrett -7 turbos, Walbro 460 fuel pump etc injectors to be chosen by the tuner

I've got most bases covered apart from air flow metres as I'm still running the stock ones. The traditional go to was Z32s or Nismo AFMs but are there any other modern cost effective options out there that work with the Nistune ECU?

Something to keep in mind with doing a blow-through setup is that it will likely increase MAF maintenance requirements, engine blowby with the right particle size can get through the dirt/fluid bypass that the card style hot film MAFs often have and deposit on the sensor, affecting the calibration. I have no personal experience to say whether this is a problem with the modern R35 Hitachi sensor but like anything in engineering you're picking what compromises you're willing to deal with. Putting the sensor closer to the intake plenum improves transient accuracy and more accurate IAT but it all comes at a price.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 2:33 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Putting the sensor closer to the intake plenum improves transient accuracy and more accurate IAT but it all comes at a price.

this is why I recommend it, and to your other point if you have a decent about of blow by and a closed loop breather system then yes you'll get the card dirty with time - however what is stopping the conventional setup getting as dirty from pod filters that use oil additives?

Also means if you blow of a cooler pipe the car will run fine as a N/A.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:43 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

this is why I recommend it, and to your other point if you have a decent about of blow by and a closed loop breather system then yes you'll get the card dirty with time - however what is stopping the conventional setup getting as dirty from pod filters that use oil additives?

Also means if you blow of a cooler pipe the car will run fine as a N/A.

I wouldn't run pods, MAF or not. 

On 02/02/2022 at 9:59 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Weld a R35 card AFM post intercooler, select you're running 1x AFM and a R35 card. Adjust the TP Load scaler and off you go. Also don't wire it to chassis ground, make sure it's sensor ground (ie the ground that goes back to the ECU).

Don't bother with twin AFMs. 

Thanks for this mate. I'll have a chat with the tuner about this option.