SAU Community

What aftermarket turbo are you running on your RB20DET

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my car tuned today (mods in sig i think). Made [email protected] on a notoriously low dyno (around 300rwhp anywhere else). I was really surprised as i expected to have to 18-19psi to make that power. As a comparison, on the same dyno with the same tuner, my mate's sr20det 180sx with PFC, injectors, AFM, 2530, made the same power but needed 1.3bar. Now i just need to get an adjustable fuel reg (was running about 35psi base pressure) to squeeze out some more fuel and run higher boost.

Jeez Chris32, 0.9BAR @ 4500-4800rpm from a 2510 dont sound right does it?

For comparison, I have an internal gated TO4E on my rb20 and it makes 0.6-0.7BAR @ 3700-4000rpm.

But in saying that you wouldnt think that two different businesses would tell a porky about what turbo you had would you?

I dont know myself, but somebody might know what could cause a turbo that is meant to have great responce to not spool untill that high up the revs.

And on the GT RS, info I have gathered says that it is between the 2530 and 2540. Meant to have the responce of the 2530 with the top end flow capability of the 2540.

Sounds like the ideal turbo for an RB20 if you ask me.

Jeez Chris32, 0.9BAR @ 4500-4800rpm from a 2510 dont sound right does it?

For comparison, I have an internal gated TO4E on my rb20 and it makes 0.6-0.7BAR @ 3700-4000rpm.

But in saying that you wouldnt think that two different businesses would tell a porky about what turbo you had would you?

I dont know myself, but somebody might know what could cause a turbo that is meant to have great responce to not spool untill that high up the revs.

And on the GT RS, info I have gathered says that it is between the 2530 and 2540. Meant to have the responce of the 2530 with the top end flow capability of the 2540.

Sounds like the ideal turbo for an RB20 if you ask me.

Its strange, as I always thought it had pretty good response, until reading a few things on this thread. It is MUCH laggier than the stock turbo

PFC arrived yesterday, so all I need now is one of those GTR resistor things, and get the inkectors in and tuned and we will see what it makes. Putting a S/S exhaust manifold on as well, so hopefully pick up a few KW's there.

GTR cams are waiting to go on as well, but I want to see the differance injectors and the manifold make first

Here's a dyno chart in shootout mode, on the day it made 197rwkw. The two other cars are RB25's for comparison

Chris

Hey thats an interesting dyno comparison, shows the real difference between a tweaked RB20 and relatively std RB25s...not just the extra 500cc but higher compression and nicely sized turbo for a 2.5L

Can someone be bothered to plot power to weight for different rpms comparing an R32 to R33, i suspect even with the higher weight the R33 comes out on top :P

yeah, its a good comparison.

Mine was the highest total power - 197rwkw, the other two were a bit below that, but not much.

The differance on the road is quite alot ( 3rd and 4th gear standing starts), as they have so much more average power. On the track (1/4) they where both around half a second quicker. MPH were reasonably similar give or take a MPH. I would say, with better driving, my car would have been pretty equal to the R33's, my best time was 14.03 at 104.9mph (2.45 60ft) and the R33's where running mid 13'5 with 2.1 - 2.2 60ft times

Both cars had similar mods to mine, FMIC, exhaust+dump, and 14psi boost. One car was running a Microtech, the other a PFC, mine is a stock chipped ecu.

after driving my car, which is quite laggy, driving one of the R33's seemed like it was almost NA type power, no lag really, but dies a little up top.

I think also my tune is quite lean and not too advanced in the timing, while the R33's were run a tad richer, and probably with a bit more timing

Chris

Yer yours definately is running a little too lean Chris.

When mine was on the dyno and started leaning out over 12.5:1 I noticed a huge hole in the mid range once on the road.

A mate of mine with a stock R32 RB20DET, stock IC 13psi of boost ran a 14.2.

I can't remember the mph but :P

Running him with mine on 1.1bar mine is much quicker. Heaps more mid range and top end. By the end of second he is sitting at my rear bumper, click third and I still keep pulling.

Mine starts pulling hard from 3500-4000rpm+. By 3500rpm 1.1bar is in.

So yours isn't really that bad.

How do you change gears? Hard and fast?

Yer yours definately is running a little too lean Chris.

When mine was on the dyno and started leaning out over 12.5:1 I noticed a huge hole in the mid range once on the road.

A mate of mine with a stock R32 RB20DET, stock IC 13psi of boost ran a 14.2.

I can't remember the mph but :)

Running him with mine on 1.1bar mine is much quicker. Heaps more mid range and top end. By the end of second he is sitting at my rear bumper, click third and I still keep pulling.

Mine starts pulling hard from 3500-4000rpm+. By 3500rpm 1.1bar is in.

So yours isn't really that bad.

How do you change gears? Hard and fast?

yeah, it is a tad lean, but all will be fixed soon with bigger injectors and 1.2 bar boost, should be much quicker then :P Hopefully with more fuel and more timing through the mid-range, it will hide a bot of the lag. I think RB's like more fuel and timing in the midrange to get some of the response back from the small capacity

I changed gears pretty fast, being my first run at the drags i didn't want to break anything. Traction off the line was the biggest issue, could not get any grip and when it did, it would axle tramp quite bad.

i have a 2530 but has been rebuilt with larger comperssor wheel, slightly laggier than standard but when it comes on boost look out, pulls like a train up to 8250 limiter. I run bigger injectors, cams and microtech etc tho. Car is for sale if anyones interested

Hmmm, this thread is interesting

I have always thought my turbo was a HKS GT2510. Due to the CHRA tag being un-helpful (no numbers that meant much) I have always taken the sellers (JMS) and the installers ( Tilbrooks ) word for it. Also has a HKS 1bar acuator (although it only gets it to 0.9bar :P ) and also has a cast HKS dump pipe

It bolts on, and is definatley a HKS 25 series from the housings etc, but looking a MM2deaths post, how you say full boost is at 3500rpm, I am now thinking differant

Mine makes 200rwkw at 0.9 bar, and full boost is from about 4500-4800rpm and pulls really well from there to the rev limit at 8200 rpm (re-mapped chip)

Any idea's? I am now thinking 2530 or 2535 perhaps?

Chris

Chris,

from my experience, all HKS turbos actually say the model number of the turbo on the id-plate along with the compressor wheel trim.

what is the number on the id-plate?

if u like, PM it to me.

Chris,

from my experience, all HKS turbos actually say the model number of the turbo on the id-plate along with the compressor wheel trim.

what is the number on the id-plate?

if u like, PM it to me.

I never wrote it down, but it was a Garrett tag, not sure of the number though.........When I put my new manifold on, I will take it down and post it up

MM2Death, do you have your ID number? as my turbo looks identical to that

Chris