SAU Community

R32 GTR boost leak / preventative maintenance

Hi all, my RB26 has been having some engine issues which I think must be a boost leak. I plan on changing the turbo seals to troubleshoot but while I’m in there, what other service items could you recommend? Not looking to spend too much but I want to replace any hoses, seals, gaskets in that area. Intercooler piping is still in good shape.

Engine compression is good and I’m looking to make the motor last as long as possible. Last timing belt service was done in Japan at 110k km, dunno when, but car has 140k now and belts look good

If you mean the oil seals inside the turbo, they won't cause a boost leak, they will only cause an oil leak (generally to the exhaust, leading to massive oil burning smoke from the exhaust).

Other than that, these cars are 30 years old and it has probably done 100,000klm more than the odometer says, and has probably been driven hard at times. If I had just picked up a GTR I would

- Change all fluids (engine oil, gearbox oil, front and rear diffs, xfer case, attessa actuator, coolant, power steering)

- Change all coolant lines (there are kits from places like justjap that include all hoses in silicone, you can go black if you like factory look)

- Change all vacuum lines (this is most likely issue if you do have a boost leak). There are the regular small vacuum lines plus a few larger ones like brake/clutch booster and to and from AAC/IAC etc

- Change the timing belt, and do the water pump, timing belt bearings and bearing idler stud and bolts at the same time

- Put in a new coil pack loom, coil packs and spark plugs

- Change the fuel filter and put in a new fuel pump

- Check for loose or broken studs and if necessary change studs and gaskets for the exhaust manifold to head, manifold to turbo and turbo to dump pipe.

The only problem with that list is you would need to get into all sorts of inconvenient places in the engine bay which can be really tricky unless you are used to it, most likely the job would take many days work and cost lots of skinned knuckles

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 1:38 PM, weikleenget said:

Hi all, my RB26 has been having some engine issues which I think must be a boost leak. I plan on changing the turbo seals to troubleshoot but while I’m in there, what other service items could you recommend? Not looking to spend too much but I want to replace any hoses, seals, gaskets in that area. Intercooler piping is still in good shape.

Engine compression is good and I’m looking to make the motor last as long as possible. Last timing belt service was done in Japan at 110k km, dunno when, but car has 140k now and belts look good

Only pull the turbos for service if there's shaft play or obvious oil/coolant leaks coming from it. Ball bearing turbos should have basically zero shaft play. Journal bearing may have a bit of shaft play but only for oil clearances. If you have a boost leak you should test for it first instead of just guessing.