SAU Community

Petition to save Wakefield Park

PranK

On 24/01/2023 at 3:46 PM, Duncan said:

well, here's your chance.

If you think re-opening Wakefield is a vote changing reason, here you go:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/01/24/nsw-opposition-leader-pledges-1-million-to-save-wakefield-park/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SC Newsletter 23012023&utm_content=SC Newsletter 23012023+CID_3c15d3629f15afd835307ac42be0a895&utm_source=Campaign Monitor

Personally, I don't see that it outweighs their choice to keep money laundering alive through pokies, but that's the great thing about democracy, everyone gets one opinion and 1 vote :)

The $1 million pledge would be used for noise mitigation work, and the Department of Planning, Goulburn Mulwaree Council, and Office of Sport would be directed to develop a plan for reopening the circuit. Minns cited the race track's use for driver training for the state's police academy, which is based in Goul

Edited by Duncan
Thanks for sneaky link addition in the quote Bot

5 hours ago, MBS206 said:

@Duncan or @PranK the post above from Emporer Gill has had a sneaky edit of Duncan's post to include an extra link in it that wasn't there in Duncan's original post. I'm guessing scam, spam, or malicious content :)

hahah thanks mate, I appreciate our users are sharper than bots (so far!)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Don't sweat it ! I've just taken a spin around Catalina Park Raceway . . . . . . and its still there  . . . .sort of  . . . . . now that's confusing !

35 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Isn’t that the one in katoomba that pretty much gets used as a bicycle track now?

SAU NSW had it as one of the "historic" scenic stops on a cruise that I went on years ago

To say it was overgrown with vegetation at the time would have been an understatement

Did walk the track and reminisce about times gone by

Now

Before.....looks very unforgiving 

• Like 2

Oh yes the good old days !

I remember that track in the day an thinking this is unforgiving with no room for any errors as you'd be like the ball in a pinball machine.

To dive it at speed beforehand, you'd have to go down to your local fruit shop and buy a couple of coconuts and shove them down your pants ! !  

Edited by PLYNX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following the video Wakefield Park (One Raceway) posted on youtube of the track going in both directions, I'm intrigued to see what they do for running the track in the counter clock wise direction.

Based purely from the track being made and put into a racing game, I can forsee some issues going backwards.

They've also changed quite a few of the corners too. It's pretty much just vaguely shaped like Wakefield Park used to be.

The track looks great in both directions and seems to be a few small changes in the old area's. I have never been there but seen old footage and google earth pic's.

18 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Following the video Wakefield Park (One Raceway) posted on youtube of the track going in both directions, I'm intrigued to see what they do for running the track in the counter clock wise direction.

Based purely from the track being made and put into a racing game, I can forsee some issues going backwards.

They've also changed quite a few of the corners too. It's pretty much just vaguely shaped like Wakefield Park used to be.

They shouldn't have to do anything as they would have created longer/deeper run off area's and placed tyre wall to allow for both directions. May have to turn the safety light boards around but you would think they would have bought more to allow it.
Having done a few track layouts with some considerable safety concerns and mitigating this would be fine, the small kinks and chicanes as part of the redesign allow for cars to slow down  before the bigger corners.

Yeah from my understanding, when they run the second direction, you have to drive in reverse for safety.

Bit unfair for anyone without an EV, but hey, that's racing!

• Haha 2

My main issue I can see a problem with, is in reverse direction, turn one.

From the video simulation (the pics they've uploaded previously don't show the changes fully to Final turn normal direction/turn one in reverse).

Watch the simulation they've made, and in reverse, as you get to the first turn, you need to kink right, but until your right there, the old track for straight to the old turn is fully visible, and looks to be where to go.

They've then dug DOWN, and made that turn heavily cambered as it goes back the "180 degrees" to the left.

From old to new, if you went straight ahead, is a hefty drop. Or more so, a wild airborne ride...

As I said, I rather waited to see what it REALLY ends up like, and how they actually do things at the track. But I can see potential on track days for someone to do a straight ahead, get airborne, and be T Boning a car that was previously in front of them.

Basically, I'd think they'll have to put some heft tyre barriers there, but that's going to make for one hell of a brutal stop, especially for a bike rider...

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting how sports always have their hands out for grants. $1M was promised to Wakie by state government (and not yet paid last I saw).

Now $9.5M being given to short people who whip horses in Goulburn....I'm really not sure why my taxes should fund stables.

Goulburn racecourse to benefit from $20 million NSW Government investment _ Goulburn Post _ Goulburn, NSW.pdf

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1