SAU Community

R33 gtst grinding noise when I hard turn

Do you know why when I turn the wheel all the way left or right no matter the speed for a turn I hear a grinding sound? It sounds like the driveshaft, I'm not sure though. I just did a power steering flush and that didn't fix it. There are only 3 of the 4 bolts on it. Maybe that's why? 🤷🏻‍♂️

It only makes the noise right when I get to the end of steering for both right and left sides. 

17 minutes ago, tridentt150v said:

is this 'on the road' or on blocks in the garage?

It's on the road and when I pull out of my driveway. If I just turn the steering wheel all the way left and right when the car is parked it doesn't make the sound.

29 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Which could point to thrashed radius rod bushes, or thrashed lower arm inner bushes, or maybe thrashed balljoint/kingpin bearings (less likely) or a bent/shifted subframe (drift damage).

46 minutes ago, tridentt150v said:

Sounds more like your tyres are rubbing on the inner guards?

The car was fine before I swapped my trans. There may been some issues that I made with the power steering pump. I'll check what you guys have said.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:44 AM, elsk said:

Most likely power steering pump

On 10/10/2022 at 10:54 PM, GTSBoy said:

Which could point to thrashed radius rod bushes, or thrashed lower arm inner bushes, or maybe thrashed balljoint/kingpin bearings (less likely) or a bent/shifted subframe (drift damage).

On 10/10/2022 at 10:37 PM, tridentt150v said:

Sounds more like your tyres are rubbing on the inner guards?

The wheel I bought was hitting the steering knuckle/top part of the suspension. I put spacers on and it's fine now. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, Duncan said:

tridentt150v wins the guessing game

Right sized wheels might be a better solution than spacers, but at least you've got it sorted....

I have these. I saw on fitment industries and people are running the same specs though. 

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/buy-wheel-offset/476-895-6530BK/enkei-kojin-18x95-30?vehicle_type=Car&year=1996&make=Nissan&model=Skyline&trim=GTS25T&suspension=Stock