SAU Community

Do you notice a difference with your front strut tower brace?

what i will also say is, your wheel alignment is in .1's of a millimeter. A flex of 0.5 of a millimeter translates through to your wheel alignment, so, even if bracing makes 0.3 difference to flexing, it's ' working'. 

• 2 weeks later...

also just saw in one of the old Best Motoring (s)exposes on the R34 Z-tune, that they go to the extent of reinforcing the strut towers with dry carbon, in addition to their Sydney Harbour bridge strutbrace, so would appear there's something worthwhile in bracing this area for handling performance.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:24 AM, hardsteppa said:

I use an Ultra-Racing one - its a 1piece design as opposed to the 3-piece design (which didn't give any noticeable change) that is more common. "difference" is hard to say but, when combined with these braces, forgotten what they're called

post-78602-0-69802500-1432176779.thumb.jpg.98b77d39f58aeaffb048aa6c26a2c0c8.jpg

Yeah, did see a difference in how solid the front-end feels at highway speeds.

The top A-arm is towards the top of the strut tower and these arms do see alot of flex, as evidenced by the Cusco a-arm rubber bushes flogged out within a short space of time (hack tip, you can replace these with Superpro R33 rear control arm bushes trimmed to suit) so, tying the towers together will reduce flex. Without hardcore equipment like a chassis-rig to measure body flex under load it's going to be guesswork but, I drive this car every day under all sorts of varying conditions and try to keep in mind what's real and what's placebo....I think a solid crossbrace helps.

Pretty sure that's called a fender brace? I bought one of these from Nagisa Auto but never got around to installing it. Makes me wonder if there will be noticeable effects then if you replace the strut tower with a higher tensile strength steel version like the Garage Yoshida strut towers.

2 hours ago, Robzilla32 said:

Lots of science here but I have had my hoon bars cerakoted so they will be reinstalled.

I am sure the coating will add to their strength.

It'll keep it from rusting, so surely in the long run that'll help things.

On 26/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, hardsteppa said:

also just saw in one of the old Best Motoring (s)exposes on the R34 Z-tune, that they go to the extent of reinforcing the strut towers with dry carbon, in addition to their Sydney Harbour bridge strutbrace, so would appear there's something worthwhile in bracing this area for handling performance.

It would make a tiny difference, if you're going all out on a race track, but it makes a much bigger difference to people's wallets when they release it for the public to purchase.