SAU Community

r33 rust

i have a 1996 r33 gts-4 and had a roadworthy inspection the other day guy said he couldn’t pass it because of the rust near the rear k frame 

any suggestions on what i can do to fix this other then “sell it” because gts-4s are hard to come by these daysC83CE66C-297C-459E-B9E3-CA7360DAF4C4.thumb.png.60ccdc8d2bb5c15a89df4d21abb89cd5.pngC959D4C7-16EA-459E-8756-43B26F6D00F4.thumb.png.2610d37e572cede58e52916a3a35dc15.png

left is passenger right is drivers side

Seeing as you've had to ask the question, it won't be any type of 'repair it yourself' answer. 

I would start visiting workshops that focus on classic vehicle restorations/coach building/body building. I would be surprised if your average panel beating workshop would be interested in making a repair like this and even if they were, personally I wouldn't trust that them not to take shortcuts in their quest of maximising profits.  

An example of the type of workshop I'm talking about is something like this - 

https://www.automotivecraftsmen.com.au/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooooo damn, that's a tricky place to fix....  The section that the K-Frame is bolted to is a VERY structurally integral part of the car.  It's a massive job to strip all of  that apart to get to that panel.  Dozens of spot weld to drill out to remove all of the panels.

The other thing to consider is if there is that much rust there, most likely there is a lot of rust elsewhere too.....  If/when you get a quote, IT WILL NOT be the final amount as once they start drilling out spot welds more and more nastyness will be revelled.  Prepare yourself for that.

Good luck, I hope you can bring her back from the brink.

• Like 1