SAU Community

Rb26 - Assumed Vacuum lines R32

Hi i was looking for some info 

on going over engine that is new to me noticed these two Items i am assuming one is Vacuum and other is Vent .. anyone have any info that could help thanks in advance .

the one with some hose and a Cap head i am assuming to be Vacuum ,.. but the other is just left open .. there is no issue with the car running etc 

thanks in advance 

Beaker

Vaccum1.JPG

Vaccum2.JPG

The silicone line is probably supposed to be connected to the steel tube. The steel tube will pop out on the other side of the timing cover and is probably connected to the charcoal canister, as Meap said.

But, given that the plugged line is silicone, therefore not stock, it would be impossible for anyone to be categorical about what it is. You will need to follow it to the other end, and then compare it with the vacuum hose diagram from the workshop manual.

Hey many thanks for the comments the one with the blue silicon and the Cap head bolt in it i believe from some searching to be another Vacuum point for the Fuel pressure reg ( standard) i have aftermarket with different routing .. it would be the First pic pipe to no where i am confused about now :)

The pipe in the first photo is somehow facing the wrong way, it’s actually supposed to face towards the throttle bodies and connect to the little pipe on the first throttle body 

15 hours ago, Beaker_666 said:

Hi i was looking for some info 

on going over engine that is new to me noticed these two Items i am assuming one is Vacuum and other is Vent .. anyone have any info that could help thanks in advance .

the one with some hose and a Cap head i am assuming to be Vacuum ,.. but the other is just left open .. there is no issue with the car running etc 

thanks in advance 

Beaker

Vaccum1.JPG

Vaccum2.JPG

That port with the bolt stuck in it is the port that the charcoal canister uses as a vacuum signal. I don't believe it is used to purge as there's another hose that is common to all cylinders rather than just the first two. As others have said it goes to that metal pipe which looks like someone has put it the wrong way. You can see the intended routing in this picture from when I tore the intake manifold apart: 

IMG_3609.thumb.jpeg.664ced3c21d19dcb92bbdb8196ba7621.jpeg

IMG_3999.thumb.jpeg.61f326c3c2ae863d5edd914fe43b25c8.jpeg

IMG_4076.thumb.jpeg.eeb2bac4b312145e14a4f52380e2053a.jpeg

Personally I do not understand why people delete charcoal canisters on these cars when it is purely to one's benefit to not have raw gasoline venting into the engine bay and into the garage. Higher octane components evaporate first and leaving the gas tank open to atmosphere invites corrosion and moisture especially in the US where almost all gasoline has 10% ethanol in it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beaker_666 said:

guess will just will put a pipe over this one ..

What do you mean by this? This is an opportunity for you to put the vacuum lines on this car right. Get the manual, like I said, and make it look like it should.

1 hour ago, Beaker_666 said:

Hey Cheers for the responses yeah looks like the pipe is pointing to the side rather than up .. but the Pipe on the First throttle body is being used for the Sard FPR .. guess will just will put a pipe over this one .. 

The front of the balance tube is the correct port to use for the fuel pressure regulator. It should only go to the FPR and nothing else. 

BTW, not sure if you were already aware, but an incorrectly installed vacuum tube almost certainly means your engine has been out and probably rebuilt at some stage (potentially head only). You can't get at that pipe without moving the front timing cover, timing gears and rear timing cover too which you would never bother doing for something like a timing belt change.