SAU Community

S1 RS4V BRAKE UPGRADE

Has anyone attempted to upgrade the brakes to the 370z akebono brakes? (I already have the calipers)

I know brackets are available for the z32 and s13/s14 but I'm not sure either of those would work.

If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it as I do not know much about these cars

Cheers

Might be worth just starting with some basic measurements of the mounts and caliper height. I don't recall ever seeing the brakes swapped out before. I believe S14, R32 and Z32 all use the same mount (But I could definitely be wrong). If you can't find any other help, maybe see if you can find some measurements of these calipers to see how different an adapter would be?

Good luck, keep us updated.

I thought Z32 4 pots bolted straight on. Not sure about 370Z.

I look at rotor catalogs and compare different models.

I'm looking at upgrading my brakes at some point. Not sure what to use. I got R34 GTT rims.

I'd just bite the bullet and try one on. Can just leave the original caliper connected.

The bolt spacing for the caliper to the knuckle should be the same, but I reckon that the brick has 12mm bolts and the Akebonos have 14mm threads in them. That means you either need to the drill the holes in the knuckles or knock the inserts out of the calipers and put in some 12mm ones - which is not for the faint hearted or those without the necessary resources. If you have to ask what those resources are, guess which category you're in.

S1 stagea has the larger bolt holes in the upright, so that should be fine.

Other than potential bolt hole stuff and triming dust backing plate, I understood all S and R (and z32) are bolt on/interchangeable. It's only when they went z33 onwards that the offset was changed so that needs a specific bracket for Z33+ on R.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

thanks for all the great info and I apologize for not replying sooner (did not get any reply notifications.

I am going with Z34 Akebono brakes on all 4 corners.

needed parts

Z32 Brake line brackets for the rear

Z32 front and rear brake pipes

Z32 brake hoses

Z32 to Akebono caliper brackets

Z34 calipers, rotors and pads

thanks to Frenchys Performance Garage for helping me out with the details!

Will upload pictures when I get around to installing them