SAU Community

r33 GTST brake callipers on r34 GT

40 minutes ago, blind_elk said:

No-one seems to have considered that R34 rotors are thinner than R33 (26mm vs 30mm). I suspect there will be a problem that the pistons might pop out if the pads wear too thin.

I would not bother upgrading the rears - the majority of braking is done by the front brakes. I suggest upgrading the fronts to R32 GT-R rotors / calipers. The rotors are larger diameter (296mm) , and thicker (32mm) than the R34 setup. At the least, GTSt rotors / calipers (280mm dia, 30mm thick).

I'm not sure I understand any of that. R33 GTST front rotors are 296x30. R34 GT-T are 310x30. Not thinner.

Are you mixing NA and turbo brakes in the same conversation, without specifying which is which?

I was looking at the DBA website for specs. I think I read correctly as far as R34 GT (N/A) rotors (not GT-T) were concerned. My bad if I mis-read the whole thing.

Okay so for everyone wondering this is what I’ve found out.

r32, r33 and r34 rear brakes are all the same bolt size so are all interchangeable between model, turbo and non turbo.

r33 gtst fronts are NOT direct bolt onto r34 gt or gtt. (They can be fit however will require tapping new threads)

r34 gt, gtv and gtt all use a m14 bolts for the front calipers where as r33gtst use m12 bolts for the front calipers.

on the r33 gtst front calipers there is a thread inserted into the caliper to downsize the thread size to fit the m12 bolts. This can be removed as it’s crimped on. Once this is removed you will need to tap a m14 thread into the caliper holes.

r34 gtt calipers are direct bolt onto all r34 models (meaning no drilling or tapping to make them fit)

you will need to cut the dust shields to fit r33 gtst and r34 gtt brakes onto a r34 gt.

hope this helps anyone who was given 30 different answers like myself.

Also don’t need anymore condescending comments that didn’t answer my question. I asked if they were direct bolt on. (Meaning they bolt straight onto the car) I didn’t ask what work had to be done to make them fit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, calebwatttts34 said:

This can be removed as it’s crimped on. Once this is removed you will need to tap a m14 thread into the caliper holes

No. Not crimped on. Pressed in. There are little "clippy retainer things" that are also on there but they really don't do anything. When you have pushed out the original inserts, you have to push back in other inserts with the hole/thread size that you need. 14 out, 12 in, or vice versa, depending on which way you're swapping. You cannot tap 14mm threads into a 22mm hole (or however big the hole is with the insert pressed out. Read my original reply - tells you exactly what was needed.

But in your case, seeing as you claim to have 14mm bolts now, just get some 14mm OD, 1mm wall thickness stainless tube and make spacers to go in the holes in the uprights and use 12mm bolts to suit the R33 calipers. Has been done by many others and is perfectly fine.

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 1