SAU Community

Newbie from Geelong, Victoria

Hi all

Finally about to achieve my childhood dreams of owning a Skyline. 

'96 R33 GTS-T is coming down from Queensland in the next week. 

I tried using a lot of the links in the stickied posts to learn more but they link to another domain that won't load.

Have these been moved somewhere so I can RFM and not bother people with basics questions?

Not a mechanic by any means so really trying to learn everything there is to know about my new baby. 

Thank you! 🙂

Hey sycotix and welcome! 

We changed domain names a while back, some of the old links still go to the old domain. If you can click the report button on these posts I can fix them up. I try to attack them as I find them.

Thanks!

Christian

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, PranK said:

Hey sycotix and welcome! 

We changed domain names a while back, some of the old links still go to the old domain. If you can click the report button on these posts I can fix them up. I try to attack them as I find them.

Thanks!

Christian

Thanks mate much appreciated I'll start going through them because the subjects look important 

6 minutes ago, PranK said:

Nice series 2! Looks clean! And stock?

Yeah mate completely stock, bar the drivers seat and head unit. One of the main reasons I was so attracted to it. 

Keen to hear any thoughts on the model and things to watch out for. A lot to learn!

:wave:

I don't think I have ever seen a stock R33 on the road. It looks very civilised and I quite like it! Please post some more photos when you get it.

At least around where I am it feels like R33s can't exist without at least some bigass cannon exhaust. Making all the noise and not necessarily any of the power.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sycotix said:

Yeah mate completely stock, bar the drivers seat and head unit. One of the main reasons I was so attracted to it. 

Keen to hear any thoughts on the model and things to watch out for. A lot to learn!

Yeah it looks really clean and as SM says below, its very uncommon to find an unmolested one these days. 

I had a 96 Series 2 in white about 25 years ago! (holy Jesus thats depressing).

Honestly, from my perspective, theres not much to watch out for. If you've already done a decent pre-purchase inspection just keep up with the maintenance but the RB25 is a tough bugger. 

2 hours ago, soviet_merlin said:

:wave:

I don't think I have ever seen a stock R33 on the road. It looks very civilised and I quite like it! Please post some more photos when you get it.

At least around where I am it feels like R33s can't exist without at least some bigass cannon exhaust. Making all the noise and not necessarily any of the power.

Yeah, AMEN! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. Absolutely it was hard to find hence why I had to look so far out haha. 

I've run into a spat with Prix Cars who were meant to collect tomorrow but had to cancel as they were adamant about the 15cm ground clearance. Lowest point is apparently 14cm at the exhaust. 

Looks like I'm flying up there I guess. 

I did a pre inspection with CarInspect and the mechanic was quite impressed overall nothing stood out of concern either. Here's to hoping that's true but super excited regardless. 

Update. Returned yesterday after a two-day venture driving it from Toowoomba, QLD to VIC. 

Some bigger shots. However, this was a couple of hours into the rive at a driver reviver stop so you'll need to excuse the bugs across the front and the water from the storm we just escaped. 

Looks like at some points both side windows had wind guards and were removed but left behind some kind of silicone or something (?). Any tips on how to remove this stuff appreciated.

Noticed the handle for the hood release kind of just fell from its position with nothing fixing it in place to the mount. Looks like two bolts go there. Again, any advice is appreciated.

The driver's seat is a Recaro seat in a fixed position (not mounted using the rails, which were in the boot). So the trip one was...more painful than necessary. I'm a bigger guy, so the seat belt was basically tight. 

It also has a rip in the seat side closest to the drivers door. 

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.

Now I'm trying to navigate getting the roadworthy and registration here in VIC. Hope it will go well but I know the hood release will need to be fixed for sure.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Glad to hear your return trip worked OK!

Yes, the bonnet release is held by 2 self tapping bolts through the dash and into a bracket behind. As such it also helps keep the dash in place.

And yes, small wind deflectors used to be pretty common, and the factory double sided tape is a nightmare to remove when new, and worse so 30 years later. You need some solvent like metho or a eucalyptus oil, a scraper of some sort and patience. On my stagea I got the tape off but damaged the hard trim underneath in many places scraping too hard.

You might find the seat is a rego issue too (not sure on current vic rules), because a fixed back stops people exiting the rear seat; might require registration as a 2 seater or replacement of the driver's seat with a tilting one

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Glad to hear your return trip worked OK!

Yes, the bonnet release is held by 2 self tapping bolts through the dash and into a bracket behind. As such it also helps keep the dash in place.

And yes, small wind deflectors used to be pretty common, and the factory double sided tape is a nightmare to remove when new, and worse so 30 years later. You need some solvent like metho or a eucalyptus oil, a scraper of some sort and patience. On my stagea I got the tape off but damaged the hard trim underneath in many places scraping too hard.

You might find the seat is a rego issue too (not sure on current vic rules), because a fixed back stops people exiting the rear seat; might require registration as a 2 seater or replacement of the driver's seat with a tilting one

Thanks heaps mate, appreciate the tips on those items too. The double sided tape is a night mare and yes the dash basically fell with the handle when I pulled it lol. 

As for the seat, it does fold down. What I meant was the previous owner bolted the seat straight into the car rather the rails, which he provided in the boot. So imagine 2000km in a position slightly too short for me haha. Probably should have just fitted it before we got driving but was time pressed. 

Again, it looks great!

Its funny, when I bought my Gtst I had 30 min drive straight home (around 5pm) and then straight to bed as I had to drive to the snow around 3am the next morning. So, much like you, I got a very decent "first" drive to familiarise myself and just enjoy it on some good roads. 

In my GTR I drove it to Lismore once and I had to put some cushions on the seat. Like you I'm a bigger guy and the stock GTR seats killed me on long(er) drives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2024 at 11:33 AM, PranK said:

Again, it looks great!

Its funny, when I bought my Gtst I had 30 min drive straight home (around 5pm) and then straight to bed as I had to drive to the snow around 3am the next morning. So, much like you, I got a very decent "first" drive to familiarise myself and just enjoy it on some good roads. 

In my GTR I drove it to Lismore once and I had to put some cushions on the seat. Like you I'm a bigger guy and the stock GTR seats killed me on long(er) drives.

I've got some bad news unfortunately.  Turns out the car has some serious chassis damage and failed a structural report, which was needed because of a failed roadworthy.  

I'm now sitting here wondering wtf I'm supposed to do with a car that I can't register and needs serious body work. 😓

Seriously feeling lost, ripped off and depressed over this. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, sycotix said:

I've got some bad news unfortunately.  Turns out the car has some serious chassis damage and failed a structural report, which was needed because of a failed roadworthy.  

I'm now sitting here wondering wtf I'm supposed to do with a car that I can't register and needs serious body work. 😓

Seriously feeling lost, ripped off and depressed over this. 

Oh shit man. I'm so sorry! 

What failed in the roadworthy and structurals? Maybe it's not a lost cause? 

On 17/04/2024 at 6:20 PM, sycotix said:

I did a pre inspection with CarInspect and the mechanic was quite impressed overall nothing stood out of concern either....

45 minutes ago, sycotix said:

I've got some bad news unfortunately.  Turns out the car has some serious chassis damage and failed a structural report, which was needed because of a failed roadworthy. .... 

So, any change the inspector had a warranty/insurance? Something that major is not acceptable for a professional to miss.

Details of the issue might help, there are ways to address chassis rail damage for instance.

14 minutes ago, PranK said:

Oh shit man. I'm so sorry! 

What failed in the roadworthy and structurals? Maybe it's not a lost cause? 

Thanks man. No idea what to do.

Structural report:

• Under body carriage damaged
  • LH+RH Sill panel damaged
  • RH rail end damaged
  • RHS Radiator Support damaged
  • Car not square by measurement

Roadworthy (most of which I can fix)

• Centre high brake light not working.
  • Driver’s seat damaged
  • Drive seat belt damaged and twisted.
  • Front left seat damaged.
  • Front left wheel bearing loose.
  • Rear left outer tie rod end worn.
  • Damage to upper and lower radiator supports. Front rails and bumper supports and
  • left and right sub rails in middle of the car need a structural repair report.
  • Oil leaks around p/s rack, possibly rack leaking. Needs a wash to pin point leak.

3 minutes ago, Duncan said:

So, any change the inspector had a warranty/insurance? Something that major is not acceptable for a professional to miss.

Details of the issue might help, there are ways to address chassis rail damage for instance.

Naturally, they have been dodging me at CarInspect but I'm trying what I can. If I go down a legal route it will just finish me financially

On 4/16/2024 at 4:55 PM, sycotix said:

Finally about to achieve my childhood dreams of owning a Skyline. 

It sounds like the dreams have come true! (I am unable to resist)