SAU Community

Rear suspension upgrades

I personally recommend not messing with factory suspension until you can clearly identify something wrong. For example I think the R33 might need some way to adjust front camber because I feathered the edges of the tires much more than the center of the tread doing some figure 8s and slalom.

Well, of course there's something wrong with the suspension. It was like that when it came out of the factory. Nissan wanted it to ride at least 50mm higher than most of us. They wanted it to be comfortable enough that the press and user reviews didn't complain about fillings being knocked out of teeth. The marketing people wanted to be able to talk about their fantastic new 4WS system (even if it was a pointless exercise, ha! pointless! Do you see what I did there? no? oh well. too bad). There weren't any semi-slicks or semi-semi-slicks or 18" wheels. Laser pointers didn't exist, so you couldn't easily build a bump steer gauge. There wasn't any better technology for suspension bushes than squishy shit in a condom. The list goes on.

• Haha 1

S13 and R32 rear suspension geometry is horrible once you lower it (which everyone does).

The camber & toe out ramp is very aggressive, hence it's common for the S13 boys/girls to use a S14 or S15 subframe as the geometry is light years ahead.

I'm sure the same can be done on R32s, but I don't know anyone that has done that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

S13 and R32 rear suspension geometry is horrible

That's something I forgot to put in my list. The aggressive anti-squat in R32 is a f**king menace. I still need to decide if I'm going to drag the subframe out of my car and weld in the GKTech corrector kit. The main reason to dither is the need to switch to spherical joints in the lower arm to account for the twist induced in the rear pivot caused by lowering the front pivot.

And yes...we do put better subframes in R32s, and I wish I'd gotten an S14 one instead of an A31 when I did the "take off and nuke it from orbit" HICAS delete all those years ago.

• Like 1

On 25/4/2024 at 11:55 AM, Duncan said:

I think the pic in the first post is another car, and post 7 is OP's car with standard arms and swaybar swaybar swaybar.

I can't tell what brand the silver coilovers are, and even if I could I don't know whether the spring rate is OK, if you can find a brand on the shocks and numbers on the springs that might help. Also, if you can measure the ride height from centre of your wheel to the guard that will help with advice too as handling suffers if ride height is too low

I think last I checked it was 35cm from fender to wheel center. I heard u can go up to 45-48cm before handling his impacted. But I need to check again. I know I was about 1.2 cm off being close to max recommended. 

44 minutes ago, Sleepergm said:

I think last I checked it was 35cm from fender to wheel center. I heard u can go up to 45-48cm before handling his impacted. But I need to check again. I know I was about 1.2 cm off being close to max recommended. 

You have your numbers back to front. 350mm from wheel centre to guard lip would be scrapinly low and the suspension arms would be at spastic angles and it would have the road manners of a meth affected giraffe.

You can down to ~450mm (from larger stock starting values about 50ish mm higher than that) before you start to create to many problems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

You have your numbers back to front. 350mm from wheel centre to guard lip would be scrapinly low and the suspension arms would be at spastic angles and it would have the road manners of a meth affected giraffe.

You can down to ~450mm (from larger stock starting values about 50ish mm higher than that) before you start to create to many problems.

Yes that sounds right. Cars currently in the shop for the engine work. Will need to remeasure .. but yes I think I must be targeting 45cm from fender. 

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

People like Johnny Dose Bro might be laughing at my post because I accidentally added 100mm to my numbers.

350-355 is indeed the lower limit. 450 is off-road Skyline spec.

• Haha 1