SAU Community

RP71C#2 speed sensor help please

Hello, is that speed sensor? Why doesn’t it have any cables/2pin but steel cable/rope?

Photos of sensor

R33 gtst auto I swapped it on manual with rp71c#2 gearbox prob rb20det r32. 

if I can’t connect current sensor is there any chance that ca/sr speed sensor or rb25automatic sensor will work plug n play? 

What you are holding that pic is a mechanical cable speedo drive. Not a speed sensor/sender. The R32 gearboxes use cable drive to the speed o head.

No, you cannot put an auto tranny's speed sensor in a manual.

I don't know of a solution for a speed sensor that will work with the R33 dash that will go into that box. The similar boxen from S chassis cars (SR20, etc) use electronic sensors, but I think the drive gears are wrong.

The R32 turbo box will not hold up to the torque of an RB25DET for many years. You will wear out the input shaft bearing. You should probably plan to replace the box with an R33/4 box and then your speed sensor issues will be simpler.

Thank you very much for answer! 🙏 One more question. My car is sitting waiting for turbo to be repaired. Is speed sensor somehow related to mileage? Will it add or count mileage without speed sensor plugged in?

Posted (edited)

No speedo = no odometer

Also, in case you think that that's a good thing (which it is if you want to keep the mileage artificially low), the ECU needs the speed signal to do things properly. The ECU makes different decisions about things like idle speed etc when it knows that you're moving. The HICAS and various other systems also need to know vehicle speed or they can chuck the sads too.

Edited by GTSBoy

32 minutes ago, WMDC35 said:

R33 non turbo manual has the electronic speedo drive in the small box.

Valid point. That would be true for R34 also.

I should have known that because the 2nd small box I put in my car was an R33 one, and I had to swap my cable drive in for the sender!!