SAU Community

98 R34 GTT A/C function

my question is will the A/C compressor clutch automatically turn on and off as needed to attempt to maintain temp according to the cabin sensor and a/c display control temp setting?

I ask because I vacuumed my a/c system, then added about 19 oz of R134A, which is what it appears the conversion is for the approx. 540g listed on fender tag. (has proper pressure in system) A/c compressor will turn on the instant I push the ac button and turn up fan, but it appears the compressor clutch turns on and off sporadically, a few minutes on then a few off, then back on again for a few, over and over, until I turn it off... its plenty cold and smells, fine, and no leaks are detected.

I thought it may be designed to do this??
similar to how my new GMC truck automatically turns the compressor clutch on and off depending on the load required from the engine for other things, such as when I am accelerating on to the freeway, the a/c compressor clutch will turn off until I'm up to speed as we all know the a/c compressor pull a lot of power from the engine and can severely slow acceleration.

From the very first inception of heat pump/phase change refrigeration A/C installed in cars, like......most of the way back into last century..... switching the compressor on and off was the way it was done. It's only in the last 20 years or so that they have had variable output compressors.

• Like 1