SAU Community

R32 GTR front Differential and prop shaft

Hi all, 

My 1990 R32 GT-R has developed a bad knocking sound coming from the what I assume is the front differential (the reason why I assume this is when I pull the fuse for the asetta the knock disappears put it back in and it comes back and yes the transfer case and gearbox has fresh oil in it), the uni joint on the front differential side was broken bad it would have been causing massive vibrations into the pinion gear, 

has anyone experienced this before? And is anyone selling a front differential Center complete with pinion and crown gear ? 

For the drive shaft I can’t find any driveline workshops in SE QLD that will put a new uni joint on the front prop shaft as they are a staked uni joint no one wants to touch it 😭

does anyone have any recommendations on any workshops that can replace the uni joint ? 

sorry if this has been posted before I couldn’t find anything using the search function for this exact issue 

thank you 

NSM32 

sorry for the bad photo, yes it’s missing a bolt I took the photo while removing the shaft to take to a workshop to try and get it repaired 

IMG_7610.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Spicers

Do you have any details for them ? Location, contact number ? 

Hardy Spicers. Only the single largest and most well known manufacturer and repairer of power transmission shafts in the whole country. They are present in most capital cities, and many regional cities.

They will build you a complete new driveshaft if need be.

There are also automotive focused workshop/manufacturers, like GJ Drivelines in Melbourne. I struggle to believe that there is not someone doing similar work in Brisbane. A quick google shows Universal in Brissy, Driveline Services in 2 locations in Brissy, someone else on the Goldy, Mal Wood in Warwick....

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Hardy Spicers. Only the single largest and most well known manufacturer and repairer of power transmission shafts in the whole country. They are present in most capital cities, and many regional cities.

They will build you a complete new driveshaft if need be.

There are also automotive focused workshop/manufacturers, like GJ Drivelines in Melbourne. I struggle to believe that there is not someone doing similar work in Brisbane. A quick google shows Universal in Brissy, Driveline Services in 2 locations in Brissy, someone else on the Goldy, Mal Wood in Warwick....

Never heard of them they obviously aren’t in Australia…. 

no shop that I’ve been to will touch it as the shafts are spiked…. 

39 minutes ago, Nsn32 said:

Never heard of them they obviously aren’t in Australia

You shitting me? They have a location in Brisbane.

39 minutes ago, Nsn32 said:

no shop that I’ve been to will touch it as the shafts are spiked…. 

Who cares? Cut it off and make a new end. That's why I said Spicers in the first case. When you want to fit an RB25DET gearbox in an R32, for example, you need to cut and shut the front half of the tailshaft using the end from the RB25 geabox that has the matching spline. Guess who does that? Spicers.

You want a brand new tailshaft? Made from steel? Aluminium? Maybe even CF? Then you go to someone like GJ and they will build it from scratch. Putting a brand new universal onto the end of a tailshaft is not difficult. You just need to go to a proper shop that can weld and balance such things. Not Majid's mechanical and kebab shop on the corner.

The other places I listed in Brisbane sound like it should be in their capability list also.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

You shitting me? They have a location in Brisbane.

Who cares? Cut it off and make a new end. That's why I said Spicers in the first case. When you want to fit an RB25DET gearbox in an R32, for example, you need to cut and shut the front half of the tailshaft using the end from the RB25 geabox that has the matching spline. Guess who does that? Spicers.

You want a brand new tailshaft? Made from steel? Aluminium? Maybe even CF? Then you go to someone like GJ and they will build it from scratch. Putting a brand new universal onto the end of a tailshaft is not difficult. You just need to go to a proper shop that can weld and balance such things. Not Majid's mechanical and kebab shop on the corner.

The other places I listed in Brisbane sound like it should be in their capability list also.

Your arrogance is astounding 

firstly it’s not a “tailshaft” it’s a prop shaft from the transfer case to the front diff 

secondly every drive shaft shop I called including the ones you mentioned above refused to touch it.. 

pull your head out of the sand if you have no helpful information don’t bother commenting