SAU Community

Need help! What is this part?

While I was doing my power steering fluid and running the engine I noticed I could hear some air hissing. 

Turns out there is some connector with two hoses connecting together (one hose comes from intercooler?) it seems this was just glued on before and now that glue has cracked and it just racks all over the place.

Please help figure out what this piece is!! I got no idea. 

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0033.jpeg

This is an R34 right? there is some sort of engine vacuum line connected to the power steering pump (no, I can't remember why that was a good idea for Nissan), it has clearly been previously broken and repaired on your car.

You will have a boost leak until you fix or replace that fitting. May in the meantime take the 2 hoses off and plug them with something like an 6mm bolt (assuming they are 6mm inner diameter)

On 13/7/2024 at 2:55 PM, Duncan said:

This is an R34 right? there is some sort of engine vacuum line connected to the power steering pump (no, I can't remember why that was a good idea for Nissan), it has clearly been previously broken and repaired on your car.

You will have a boost leak until you fix or replace that fitting. May in the meantime take the 2 hoses off and plug them with something like an 6mm bolt (assuming they are 6mm inner diameter)

Yes it’s an R34 GTT. I’ve just been panicking because I just have no idea what it is 😂😂

yeah a boost leak is fine - not a daily. I just want to make sure it’s plugged until I hit the part needed. 
it does look like 2 hoses connecting to a plastic bit, that then goes into this metal piece. 

1 hour ago, DraftySquash said:

Yes it’s an R34 GTT. I’ve just been panicking because I just have no idea what it is 😂😂

yeah a boost leak is fine - not a daily. I just want to make sure it’s plugged until I hit the part needed. 
it does look like 2 hoses connecting to a plastic bit, that then goes into this metal piece. 

That is called the power steering valve. It is designed to raise the engine idle when you put excessive load on the power steering pump to keep the engine from stalling. Replacement is 49762-AA000.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2024 at 5:07 PM, joshuaho96 said:

That is called the power steering valve. It is designed to raise the engine idle when you put excessive load on the power steering pump to keep the engine from stalling. Replacement is 49762-AA000.

@joshuaho96 I don't know if you are located in Melbourne, but I owe you a pint! 

At least now I know what to buy, and thank god it's all one piece because that touch-up job and my double touch-up looks nasty! 
Thank you again! Cannot explain how glad I am to know what this mystery piece is! 

On 13/7/2024 at 5:42 PM, GTSBoy said:

Just join the 2x hoses together there, or at the other ends. You will lose the idle up, but it should be fine.

@GTSBoy so all bypassing would do is not raise my engine revs on a full lock? 
otherwise it should work fine?

On 14/7/2024 at 11:25 AM, TurboTapin said:

It's an 80$ part on Amayama. Just replace it and be done with it. 

Yeah I’ve emailed them asking to confirm if they have stock. Their stock levels for that part are “unknown” at the time 

Posted (edited)
On 13/07/2024 at 5:42 PM, GTSBoy said:

Just join the 2x hoses together there, or at the other ends. You will lose the idle up, but it should be fine.

Update:
Just bought a $4 6mm hose connector from Bunnings on Sunday and installed it. Car runs fine as @GTSBoy said.
Hopefully Amayama has the part in stock and I will buy it at some point

Edited by DraftySquash
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DraftySquash said:

Update:
Just bought a $4 6mm hose connector from Bunnings on Sunday and installed it. Car runs fine as @GTSBoy said.
Hopefully Amayama has the part in stock and I will buy it at some point

That probably permanently raises the idle. If it seems like the idle is higher than you want try capping both ends. I really doubt the part is discontinued because Nissan used it a million cars from the late 90s and early 2000s.

On 15/07/2024 at 1:48 PM, joshuaho96 said:

That probably permanently raises the idle. If it seems like the idle is higher than you want try capping both ends. I really doubt the part is discontinued because Nissan used it a million cars from the late 90s and early 2000s.

Yeah I assumed the revs would be higher because one hose is continuously sucking air (left) while the other is connected to the steel pipe (right). It's definitely much smoother compared to when the hoses were just flapping around 🙃
While the plug was broken, I looked inside it and all it had was a screw which raises up on full lock! (white) The whole thing is pretty much just a connector except for when the screw raises on full lock.

And yes, looks like Pathfinder and other Nissans have the same item. Amayama has been the only cheap one I can find. Others cost a decent amount - and none from AU (everything coming up in US).

image.thumb.png.e4751eeec64b13ca192308a919f035a1.png

Amayama are good and ship stuff fairly frequently. There's also Kudos and Taarks in Australia, but people rarely stock these things unless they are super common, so buying random bits and bobs (while we still can) is a bit of the R chassis lifestyle.

So at least you've figured out what it does, it opens up on full lock to counter the load of the pump dragging your idle down. If that's not a big issue you may never want to fix it. If your OCD kicks in you may want to fix it just because. But now you know what it is, and how it works, and whether you need to fix it. :91_thumbsup: