SAU Community

Power steering issue

Hey everyone,

So another day, another power steering issue that I need help with 😂

I’ve been having a whining power steering pump and realised my levels were super low. So I’ve topped up the PS fluid and bled the system. While doing the steering wheel locks to clear the air, I noticed that there was a lot of PS fluid leaking to the ground. 
I’ve been trying to find where it’s been leaking from and finally figured out the culprit. 
It seems to be this hose that connects to the AC Compressor? It’s some tiny as metal needle coming out of the compressor and it has a hose connected to the PS reservoir and whenever I’m giving the car full lock or close to full lock, it just leaks from there. If you hold the full lock it will squirt quite fast. 

I’ve added two pics for reference and circled the hose where it’s leaking from. I just googled the part # I can see in the picture and it says it’s the AC compressor. 
So what I need help with is:

1. Trying to figure out what a PS fluid hose is doing connected to the AC compressor? 
2. Anything I can do to stop this leak? The hose and metal piece are too small for a 6mm clamp. Should I even try and clamp this? If it’s squirting when on full lock, that’s some decent amount of pressure. Would clamping it tight make the fluid leak from the reservoir? 
3. Do I need to replace the AC compressor or the PS pump? Not sure if this is related to the PS pump. 

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0035.jpeg

Look, there is no way, no way at all, that you have an interconnection between your PS system and your AC. So just put that thought aside.

The PS pump is the top one. The AC compressor is the bottom one. You cannot mistake them or their hoses.

I do not understand what you mean by "tiny as metal needle". Is that "tiny as" as in "tiny as f**k?" And then "metal needle" as in what looks like an electrical wire poking out of a bit of conduit (in both photos)? I mean, it's clearly a single electrical wire, connected to a loom plug....on the AC compressor? I'm not that familiar with what that connection looks like, even though I had that part of my car (Neo25DET) partially apart today - I wasn't looking there). It could just be the clutch signal wire for the AC.

The AC comp could be covered in PS fluid because....it is underneath and oil drips down.

Posted (edited)

Sorry @GTSBoywhen I said “tiny as” I did mean “tiny as fk” 

yeah it’s just an electrical needle poking out. 
I’ll have a look at everything above that connection tomorrow to see what you mean about the leak coming from something above that piece. 
I had my light on that piece while checking ever since I saw a drip fall right there so I could have just been focusing on that 😅😅

Edited by DraftySquash

Best thing I can suggest (other than taking it to a mechanic), is thoroughly clean that area with degreaser and a rag, then start the car to try and identify where the leak is coming from. The AC is just an innocent bystander in this issue

On 7/14/2024 at 7:04 AM, DraftySquash said:

Sorry @GTSBoywhen I said “tiny as” I did mean “tiny as fk” 

yeah it’s just an electrical needle poking out. 
I’ll have a look at everything above that connection tomorrow to see what you mean about the leak coming from something above that piece. 
I had my light on that piece while checking ever since I saw a drip fall right there so I could have just been focusing on that 😅😅

It's a harness connector. I have no idea why you think it's the AC compressor leaking power steering fluid out of there, it's not physically possible for that to happen. Most likely it's related to the bodged power steering valve/high pressure line. That valve and the threads it's attached to has to hold like 1000-1200 psi. Fix all of that first and foremost.

• Haha 1

image.thumb.png.d5a3a87c536e10b14933968c34d071d3.png

I'm still learning the ins and outs of the car. I panicked when I saw the fluid. It didn't even cross my mind to just look above it 🤣
I could not understand why it would be connected together either, which is why I thought Iid post here.  But the plan this weekend is to check above it. Usually easier to check with the airbox off.

• Like 1

Round #2 and this time I made sure to give it a good wipe everywhere there was some oil so I can figure out where it was. 
and great success!!!

it’s on the same connector the valve control is on. Just the other pipe- which I think is the high pressure hose? 

it’s where the pipe is crimped with the metal piece and the reason I couldn’t figure it out or see it clearly is because it’s on the side facing the engine. I was under the car and saw the drops were falling from the gold colour piece, put my finger on the engine block side of the hose and it’s got PS fluid leaking.

Does this mean I’d have to change the whole piece with the hose etc or do guys like Enzed actually fix them? I’ve seen a lot of post recommending them and Pritek?

would they be able to re-crimp this or something? Again, apologies if something like that is not possible 😂 I’m learning!… mostly what could go wrong 🥲

IMG_0057.thumb.jpeg.0ff7832530fe688d8265ae549c210c82.jpeg

First up, slightly loosen and then tighten the big bolt head where that pipe goes into the pump; it is much more likely (and quick/cheap) that the leak is coming from the bolt being slight loose or the copper washers needing to be re-crushed.

If that doesn't improve it an you are sure it is the line, you need to undo it at both ends where there is a fitting (and there are probably a bunch of hard lines in between, and take it to the local hose shop like pirtek. They will charge you a bazillion dollars but fix it properly. Alternatively once you have it off you might be able to find a second hand hose somewhere

Unless you know for sure that it is coming from the hose/connector parts, it could also be from the PS idle up valve. You could pull that off, clean things up, add some thread sealant and try it again. Or buy a suitable plug to dead-end that outlet.

On 20/07/2024 at 2:40 PM, GTSBoy said:

Unless you know for sure that it is coming from the hose/connector parts, it could also be from the PS idle up valve. You could pull that off, clean things up, add some thread sealant and try it again. Or buy a suitable plug to dead-end that outlet.

Amayama actually confirmed they have the valve so I have a new piece coming. Maybe I will check again once that is done.

Can I ask - any idea what size that bolt is? 

3 hours ago, DraftySquash said:

Amayama actually confirmed they have the valve so I have a new piece coming. Maybe I will check again once that is done.

Can I ask - any idea what size that bolt is? 

Nope. No idea. What do you mean by "bolt" anyway? The banjo bolt? You asking about the head or the thread?

On 20/07/2024 at 11:28 PM, GTSBoy said:

Nope. No idea. What do you mean by "bolt" anyway? The banjo bolt? You asking about the head or the thread?

Sorry, the valve looks like it has a bolt where it connects? 
I might just test out what to use when I get the new piece 🤣

I dunno. The hex on the valve will be something large, like a 22mm. If you don't have the right spanner to put on it, you can always put a 10" shifter on it, then measure the opening of the jaws (if you want to buy a spanner) or use some vernier calipers to measure it.

And yes, there's no need to worry until you have the new one, and you can measure that.