SAU Community

Camber arm hitting knuckle arm BNR32 GTR

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has run into a similar issue. I recently installed ikeya Formula -15mm upper camber arms and lowered the car a bit. Right after the upright knuckle arm started to hit the upper camber arm making the car bottom out in while driving over small bumps in corners or dips on the highway. (Not even pushing the car)

I was running HKS hipermax IVgt coils with 8K springs up front. Thought if i changed out the springs for 10K it would solve the problem, it did not.. Arms are still hitting. I asked a guy on instagram who is running the same upper arms, 8K springs up front and even a bit lower than my car sits. Guy has no problem of the arms hitting.

Anyone else that has run into this issue or might have an idea of what could be the issue? I been told they might be installed backwards but the arms are as good as symmetrical and they fitted perfectly the way they are installed now. 

That arm looks to be very steeply angled upwards - I'm assuming at the ride height position. The car is very low (too low, it will NOT handle properly at that height), and I have never looked under a car that is that low to see if the arms will be at that angle. My car is at the minimum sensible ride height (~355mm eyebrow height) and my arms are much more level.

It's hard to know how much bump compression would be required to make that point contact the upright - but it is fair to say that it would be less than you might imagine. Any compression is going to cause that arm to rotate even more vertically, which will close that gap faster than you would believe.

I think it's just too low.

Also, those arms are pretty fat right in that spot where they hit. The original arms are not as bulky there. The GK-Tech FUCAs I use are very compact at that location. So I probably wouldn't suffer the same contact even at that ride height. Things to think about.

I agree the car is most likely too low, outside of the heights it was designed to run at. You should see if the top of the tyre has been rubbing on the inner guard too

Also, you need to check that the shocks have bump stops on them. If they are bottoming out on the shock body instead of a bump stop that will kill them pretty quick