SAU Community

RB26 Cylinder Head Exhaust Threads

Hey everyone,

I’m having a bit of a crisis and would like some advice. 
I am in the process of assembling a head I had gotten back after NAPREC did their work. I had the exhaust studs removed prior to sending it to the machine shop, but afterwards when I tried threading in new studs, they wouldn’t go in straight. They would thread in smoothly by hand with almost no effort, but it doesn’t go in straight (noticeably circular motion) and eventually stops about halfway in. I had a couple go in perfectly straight with no effort, but when I removed them to try it again, they no longer when in straight and had the same issue as the others. The studs I’m using are M8x1.25, which I read was the standard. I did some research and decided to buy a chaser kit and new studs IEE NZ just in case. Has anyone experienced this? How screwed am I? Do I just need to run a chaser or tap and try again? Prefer a chaser because I heard taps can destroy existing threads. 

Note: I also have a new set of intake studs that went straight in just fine that I bought from IEE NZ. I bought the exhaust studs from the U.S.

Edited by BourneToLive

Well, try the new studs first, in case the US sourced studs are actually the problem. But given that the head is off the engine, at least it won't be too hard for someone to install helicoils if it turns out the holes are stuffed.

You don't want to just run a tap or chaser through there if by doing so you leave behind 3/10ths of f**k all thread and the studs just pull straight out when you torque up the manifold nuts.

I visually inspected the threads and they look intact and not so dirty, so I don’t understand why they wouldn’t thread in straight. 

How would a chaser cause any damage? It’s intended to clean up the threads right? Even if it was cross threaded. That shouldn’t be the case though because the studs that were removed were OEM. The intake side had no issue. 

46 minutes ago, BourneToLive said:

How would a chaser cause any damage? It’s intended to clean up the threads right?

A chaser is really just a tap. Just a less aggressive tap. It still has to be able to move metal to do its job. It may not cut the way a tap does, but it still has to push deformed threads around, and deformed threads are often a hair's breadth away from snapping off. Especially in cast aluminium alloys.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I’m after s3 tail light looms and front bumper indicators atm for my s3 silo rebuild. Thread posted on here a few days ago. any on got a s3 r31 parts or wreck that can help me out, I’m gonna need a bit over the build. Thanks
    • Hi again all, i got the GTT dyno'd and the car was down on power for what i believe it should be making (very common story i know)... The power curve is good, with great Lambda readings, and drives well apart from during very low speeds i.e: carparks (seperate thread for that issue). It has all the usual parts that i reckon are pretty well matched, and in some cases, overkill for my needs (i'm ok with that). 2.5L Neo with supporting mods, manual trans kelford drop-ins, Performance springs, Ferrea S/S exhaust valves Hypergear ATR45SS-2 (gtx3582 compare) 6boost, 3.5" exhaust, 60mm plumbback gate Plazma pro-series cooler, tophalf and 66mm TB. Haltech elite 2k on E85 , Ross triggers, R35 coils - Power peaked at 530rwhp on hub dyno at 8k (25psi boost). The tuner commented on how the engine wouldn't respond with more boost, as if there is a restriction somewhere. Tapped out at that power level.... Couple ideas for what would be choking up the engine would be ; - Plumbback causing backpressure, got some advice to convert to screamer  - Valvespring tension incorrect, causing float at 25psi and up. I didn't test and shim the springs, i just installed them with a shim under each one. Perhaps the Ferrea locks are a different height? Torque curve is smooth all the way up, no erratic spikes on the curve, so not sure if its actually floating.. I reckon this setup should make over 600rwhp at peak with this setup.. Thoughts on either option, or another potential issue?
    • Assuming the parts are on the shelf somewhere here in Japan, I can get them sent to you directly in 10 - 12 days via air mail. Not sure what the transit times are for anyone else but I'm able to assist if time is a factor. Pricing (in Japan) could be similar or a bit higher depending on the part. Just putting it out there if you (or anyone) would prefer to deal with an SAU member.
    • Boot had my gym bag and my big travel bag bag in it, and with a MX5 there's no more room left, so the passenger seat was the only place left to fit the parts And yes, I could have moved stuff, but as the top was down...."because convenience" 
    • Yes, without looking at it, it appears the 0kph timing condition is something i should look at.  The "lungeyness" was there before the last tune when the 'ghost-cam' got installed, but it's much worse now. I reckon that sounds like a big part of the issue, if not 100%.  i'll bust out the laptop and spend some time looking through the settings, and make small changes via trial/error.    thanks again for the detailed post 👍🏻