SAU Community

Anti lag on bi turbo setup

Just curious anyone running anti lag tune on a bi turbo setup… guessing the benefits aren’t too rewarding … to be honest I do the like the shooting flames on revving though … I know it might not be good for the longevity but i do think I would enjoy the flame shooting in front of crowds. Take it however u would like, 😭

57 minutes ago, Sleepergm said:

Just curious anyone running anti lag tune on a bi turbo setup… guessing the benefits aren’t too rewarding … to be honest I do the like the shooting flames on revving though … I know it might not be good for the longevity but i do think I would enjoy the flame shooting in front of crowds. Take it however u would like, 😭

Engines are expensive. You already mentioned having thermal management issues with your car, anti-lag dramatically raises EGTs and can easily damage a cylinder head. If your goal is actually to improve transient response I recommend VCAM. DBW can also help here. Instead of a simple mapping of accelerator pedal position to throttle opening instead you interpret the accelerator pedal as a certain torque/power request and the throttle will open more or less to achieve that. So if your desired acceleration requires getting 0.5 bar of boost the throttle will silently go wide open to spool the turbos, then as it gets to that target intake manifold pressure it will adjust the throttle back to the steady state target. Another trick you can play is detecting when a shift is happening using a strain gauge and clutch switch for example and rather than snap the throttle shut when the accelerator pedal closes you cut fuel injection and hang the throttle open to keep the turbo from slowing down. This is a pretty complicated trick to play though as if it got stuck in that logic you would have engine runaway and you want to make sure the engine RPMs actually fall at a reasonable rate instead of rev hanging badly.

• Like 1

Sounds like all you want is a button on your CAN dash pad that is for 2-step / anti lag launch. 

Hold the button down, rev limit gets set to whatever you want, say 5000 rpm. Then mass timing is pulled and a heap of fuel is dumped in for fun times. Want more bangs and flames, pull more timing or add more fuel or both lol. 

Obviously the more you use the fun button, the shorter the life of the entire hot side of your motor. So valves, turbo, cat, any sensors in the exhaust, etc etc.

1 hour ago, Sleepergm said:

guessing the benefits aren’t too rewarding

Well, if you are using it for its intended purpose it is very rewarding. If you are at the drags and want to launch on full boost, how else are you going to do that?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I thought you were concerned about being arse raped by the HK police?

Hahah yeah but a man got to do what a man wants to do. Won’t be using it infront of the 5O anyway. My car is illegal as is with the mods. 

2 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Sounds like all you want is a button on your CAN dash pad that is for 2-step / anti lag launch. 

Hold the button down, rev limit gets set to whatever you want, say 5000 rpm. Then mass timing is pulled and a heap of fuel is dumped in for fun times. Want more bangs and flames, pull more timing or add more fuel or both lol. 

Obviously the more you use the fun button, the shorter the life of the entire hot side of your motor. So valves, turbo, cat, any sensors in the exhaust, etc etc.

Well, if you are using it for its intended purpose it is very rewarding. If you are at the drags and want to launch on full boost, how else are you going to do that?

Thanks for the info… guessing less rewarding for my hks ss turbo setup. Might just be more beneficial for a single turbo. I’m just concerned it will hurt my engine long run which would be very expensive. 

2 minutes ago, Sleepergm said:

Thanks for the info… guessing less rewarding for my hks ss turbo setup. Might just be more beneficial for a single turbo. I’m just concerned it will hurt my engine long run which would be very expensive. 

Well not really, 2-step doesn't care if you have 1 or 2 turbos. It will function the same either way, it will let you build boost while stationary. 

You should be concerned, it will 100% hurt your engine in the long run. But you want to shoot flames and have crazy pops/bangs yeah? lol.