SAU Community

R33 KR4 engine bay paint code?

I don't know, but I can confirm the paint code shown on your build plate is the external panels; on all R chassis the internal panels including engine bay are similar but not the same as the external paint.

You will probably have to get the paint shop to just match what is there as best they can

• Like 2

I had this with my s2 R33. I found a grey paint tone called Double Stack (NZ Resene colour), it's very much a battleship grey, looks good but still does not match the original. The factory grey has a blue accent in the tint. A grey tone called Quarter Friar grey might get it; https://archipro.co.nz/product/resene-quarter-grey-friars-resene

With hindsight an experience painter could nail it easy, I had fun, almost, trying. There are a lot greys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, czeno said:

I had this with my s2 R33. I found a grey paint tone called Double Stack (NZ Resene colour), it's very much a battleship grey, looks good but still does not match the original. The factory grey has a blue accent in the tint. A grey tone called Quarter Friar grey might get it; https://archipro.co.nz/product/resene-quarter-grey-friars-resene

With hindsight an experience painter could nail it easy, I had fun, almost, trying. There are a lot greys.

Would u happen to have a pic of the area u painted with the “double stack” 

if it’s close enough I’ll just get some of that 

Here it is, shot this morning at work, road worn, dirty & working for a living for 6 years now. No rust there, just dirt and in places it's stuck to the Lanocote I spray around the seam sealer where water deluge drainage is a lot.
Sort of industrial tone. Don't be fooled by thinking you can get any old grey paint in a can to match. I'm still picking away through a box full of them I collected back then trying to find the right one, good for other home projects.

nWHAaD.jpg
xYB3du.jpg

• Like 1

On 26/7/2024 at 7:11 AM, czeno said:

Here it is, shot this morning at work, road worn, dirty & working for a living for 6 years now. No rust there, just dirt and in places it's stuck to the Lanocote I spray around the seam sealer where water deluge drainage is a lot.
Sort of industrial tone. Don't be fooled by thinking you can get any old grey paint in a can to match. I'm still picking away through a box full of them I collected back then trying to find the right one, good for other home projects.

nWHAaD.jpg
xYB3du.jpg

Cheers, It must be close enough coz I can’t even tell where u painted. Did u do the whole top of the strut tower or just a patch somewhere? 

On 7/27/2024 at 1:16 AM, Milkmun said:

340k km? Wow 😮 

Reading about 424 000 km now. Long live the 20E. It was like an abused dog when I got it  @ 230 000 km, they'd killed the auto and half shafts, including diff. It is the same motor.

Edited by czeno
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2024 at 12:58 PM, Desean Strickland said:

Cheers, It must be close enough coz I can’t even tell where u painted. Did u do the whole top of the strut tower or just a patch somewhere? 

I painted all the top area both sides and down as low as I could get, up to firewall which is original, under the right lighting you can see the mismatch, it's got a hint of blue as I said before. I had rust in same places you are dealing with.

• Like 2