SAU Community

Help getting an arrogant screw out on the R34 dash

Hey everyone, 

So today, I thought I'd try to change the globes on my R34 dash. And my luck, I'm stuck on the first 2 screws itself!! 🙄

The screw on the right side had no issues but the one on the left just seems to be spinning on itself. I tried everything I could but it just forever spins and nothing happens. You can try to tighten it or loosen it and it does nothing. I thought maybe I could see the back of it by removing the triple gause - nope. I tried to lift the trim a bit while unscrewing it to see if it will latch onto the thread, but no luck either.

Any ideas on what I can try? All I hear when it's spinning is a very "rigifoam-y" noise. Or does this mean I'm forever stuck with the warm white globes? 

Make a tool out of shim (ie coke can thickness stainless steel) like a little crows-foot spanner than you can slip under the head of the screw and pull upwards (away from the surface it is screwed to) while you turn it with the screwdriver. You'll be trying to get the threads to engage with an edge of something in the hole to provide some drive out.

• Thanks 1

Well, it was going so well.... felt good about finally getting this screw out - followed a thread in here about getting the dash out, put my new LEDs in and voila - IT ALL WORKS EXCEPT FOR ONE !! 🤣 (right-side)

• So I did the whole process of flipping the LED around to see if that would work - Nope
  • Tried putting a. LED that was working on the left side of the dash - nothing
  • I thought maybe it was the bulb socket - switched back to the normal T6.5 bulb - it works - so not the socket
  • Thought maybe it was the LED - so put the LED in my triple gauge that does work - it works
  • Then I took a T6.5 off the triple gauge (which I know is working), put it on the right - nothing
  • Switched an LED and socket off with another on the dash - nothing

For some reason, my right side bulb and socket just do not like to have a LED. So I've reverted it all and gone back to my warm white, sleepy mode dash 😅

I must say - even thought only 2.5 of my gauges had the blue LED, it still did look pretty keeewwl.. But at the end of the day, I need some LEDs that have better coverage and distribute light than the ones I got but it's so damn hard to find T6.5s

And now that I've cried enough about not being able to switch the dash, I'm ok... 

Note: I've seen most tutorials say it's T5s in the back but they 100% are not on mine. T5 was just wiggling around all loosey-goosey

• Like 1