SAU Community

R34 GTT - Interesting 4th gear grind only when...

Hoping someone can shed some light on this...

All 1 - 5 shifting is smooth, all 2 - 4 down shifting is smooth EXCEPT when I'm in 5th, go to neutral, then down shift to 4th (speed matches 3rd/4th, could've possibly been a bit slow for 4th). It grinds and won't go in, almost feels like as if the clutch is not pressed in. I typically don't go to neutral then 4th, but today I did for whatever reason and noticed it. It will happen every time, but if I go straight from 5th to 4th, zero grind, very smooth. Super odd. I haven't tried double-clutching to see if that helps, but tbh, I'll just never go to neutral, just wondering what would cause it to grind only in that scenario. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Alright guys, this thread really got to me, so I thought I'd do the best thing I can, and change the mowers oil.   So here is a photo of me draining it. To be totally honest, I see nothing wrong here, and think there's easily another 5 years in this oils life. But, now I've hit my next conundrum, some twit drained the oil, without having bought any new oil... Should I splurge and use olive oil, or will canola oil do?   On a serious note, I'm undecided if I REALLY need to buy 4 stroke mower oil, but some claim normal motor oil doesn't have extra zinc or some shit in it.   Also, mower has started getting blow by, it isn't pumping oil out the breather, but it is pumping out a lot of exhaust gas... Which is then making the mower hunt a lot... I'm think atmospheric vent, with a filter... PS, this is a mower I was given years ago, have had to rebuild the carb, build my own blades for it, fix up valve clearances, and then make it really sing way above any rpm it wants while I punish it in the back easement, so no, I'm not spending anything more than I need to. The thought of buying an air filter is bad enough to me and I'm searching for one I think I had on a catch can...   So while this mower is a cheapo, flogged to death, revived, flogged again, revived, flogged again, and now being turned into a zombie, does any one know if I'll seriously shorten it's life if I use something like Nulon X-Pro 5w-30, or HPR 5 5w-40 instead of spending stupid money to buy SAE30 4 stroke lawn mower oil? (And yes, if I drank alcohol I'd happily pee in the fuel tank instead of putting fuel in it... At this stage I'm siphoning year old 98 fuel from the Subaru each time I need to refill the jerry... )   So... Input?  
    • @Kinkstaah So... I took your advice and looked under the bonnet... is this where the rubber strip should be? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    • 'Course, he also used to say, "If it's got tits or tyres, you're better of renting it by the hour. It will cost you less in the long run."
    • migrate-from-158-cefiro-parts-classifieds  
    • This has already started. Its going to take some time so we can continue to discuss in here as I get stuff done.  The R35 GTR For Sale and WTB sections are now gone. I have tagged the topics with migrate-from-277-r35-gt-r-wtb and migrate-from-276-r35-gt-r-for-sale. I'm keeping a spreadsheet which I'll share at the end. If we think we made a mistake the tags will allow us to further refine the setup.