SAU Community

Feedback on Carbonetics: R34 GTT cooling panel

DraftySquash

Hi there,

Does anyone here have the carbonetics slam panel installed on their R34 GTT? Or used to have one and got some pics of how it sat?

https://carbonetics.net/products/1999-2002-nissan-skyline-r34-gtt-cooling-slam-panel?srsltid=AfmBOoo6Uz0nuxGI3qC0sn56KJI6PMgh0OvV-pbegsPDHTtTxz4IMljc

I’m just trying to get an idea of how they sit once installed but these guys have no pics. 
biggest question I’m trying to figure out is what the hell the 3 holes at the front of the panel are 😂 and where they bolt 

Thanks in advance 

Just walk away from the cooling panels. I've had one and it was a fancy carbon one from Japan (let alone a copy of one) and didn't actually line up with the GTT. Had cutouts and things. And probably more importantly, if you look closely at how your bonnet seals, there's a rubber strip on the underside of the bonnet that does the job you want this carbon panel to do.

• Like 1

On 12/09/2024 at 10:43 PM, Milkmun said:

Weird the Gktech one doesn't have the 3 holes and is only a 5min install if you have the standard front bar.

@Milkmun Yeah I was looking at the Gktech one as well and just holds on with the 2 bolts at the middle and no front section that goes upwards. 
I've watched one of the Youtube installations of it and the only thing with that is that I'd need to drill a hole for the screw that holds the oil cooler in A/T.

@Kinkstaah It's purely just to make the bay look cleaner and not have a gaping hole at the front 🤣 I'm getting some bad mojo from this panel and have a feeling it only works in S1 (even though they never mention it)

On 13/09/2024 at 9:56 AM, DraftySquash said:

@Milkmun Yeah I was looking at the Gktech one as well and just holds on with the 2 bolts at the middle and no front section that goes upwards. 
I've watched one of the Youtube installations of it and the only thing with that is that I'd need to drill a hole for the screw that holds the oil cooler in A/T

Would get the Gktech one then, it's 1 hole which would be straight forward to drill, plus it's a third of the price.span widget

Edited by Milkmun
Edit

Yes, well, one or the other. On R32 (which is the only thing I can look at personally) it's on the rad support panel. You have neither, and it will need to be on one or the other. I must say that the arrangement of holes perhaps looks more like it lives on the bonnet underside on the R34. The rad support panel doesn't look like the R32 one at all.

A quick google shows....

image.thumb.png.535b292c1b445691313dad6b539fa1ff.png

20 hours ago, DraftySquash said:

@Kinkstaah So... I took your advice and looked under the bonnet... is this where the rubber strip should be?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

image.thumb.png.9e5ca1dce3794b38f74bc3949c04d324.png

image.thumb.png.a20768b21e6247a89ce0a900440eedbd.png

That is what will seal with the bonnet closed. Follow it down while closing the bonnet to see where it ends up with the bonnet closed.

The panels don't do anything other than spending money, which this one will do just fine. :p

If you can get access to a guillo (or dremel), and a break press (I've used home made folders out of timber and a few hinges), and a dremel for notching, there is about $10 of alloy and some time involved with making one

I've made a few things like this, start with a cardboard template, measure twice, cut once

I typically then sand the edges, hit it with wax and grease remover, then wrinkle coat it, you can also add pinch weld to make it prettier 

As for fittings, plastic push clips work

Use the saved money to buy tools

Or, make a cardboard templates and get your local metal fabrication joint to knock it out

When I was a young lad I was a sheet metal worker, we had heaps of people walking into the shop with small templates people wanted transfered onto  steel or alloy, usually paid for in beer

>$300 = "Jebus"

On 13/09/2024 at 9:40 AM, Kinkstaah said:

Just walk away from the cooling panels. I've had one and it was a fancy carbon one from Japan (let alone a copy of one) and didn't actually line up with the GTT. Had cutouts and things. And probably more importantly, if you look closely at how your bonnet seals, there's a rubber strip on the underside of the bonnet that does the job you want this carbon panel to do.

welll...you'd think so, indeed I did for a long time, but - after making my own fibreglass one, and in fairness, also making up fibreglass side and bottom panels to seal the intercooler>body gaps, my coolant temps plummeted. Like, average 76 degrees, thermostat temp. When set up properly, for sure they work.