SAU Community

R200 abs vs non abs internals

Hi there, have an s15 3.69 long nose abs diff in my r34 and would like to go to a 4.11 and 5 bolt shafts

Does anyone know if pinion and crown wheels from a NON abs diff (short nose) will fit inside the abs (long nose) diff?

5 hours ago, RyzXne said:

Hi there, have an s15 3.69 long nose abs diff in my r34 and would like to go to a 4.11 and 5 bolt shafts

Does anyone know if pinion and crown wheels from a NON abs diff (short nose) will fit inside the abs (long nose) diff?

Ring & pinions are not interchangeable between long and short nose. Pinion is longer in a long nose diff. Cheers. 

How did you get a S15 diff to fit in your R34? I understand in a R33 with ABS but doesn't make sense as the diff is the same length as a R33 non ABS. R34 has 2x ABS rings and sensors on the output flange where as a S15 or R33 has the ABS sensor on the diff input flange area.

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

How did you get a S15 diff to fit in your R34? I understand in a R33 with ABS but doesn't make sense as the diff is the same length as a R33 non ABS. R34 has 2x ABS rings and sensors on the output flange where as a S15 or R33 has the ABS sensor on the diff input flange area.

Pov spec R34s (ie, without turbo), and in particular auto ones (I think) have that silly diff with the slightly longer nose with the speed sensor on the side of the nose. I'm not even sure that it's an ABS sensor. I think it's actually the VSS sender. Anyway, it's not an S15 diff, it's whatever was jammed into the stupid things.

It's just one of those bugbears that I bring over from Facebook. Lots of people think the dividing line between them is Sedan vs Coupe or Manual vs Auto for some/any feature but it's always NA vs Turbo (or GTV).

I have no idea if GTV got the GTT rear end. I'm just gonna pretend I know and say "yes they did"

3 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

I have no idea if GTV got the GTT rear end. I'm just gonna pretend I know and say "yes they did"

And you'd be correct. The GTV got the viscous LSD (I'm pretty sure they didn't get any helicals) and the same fork shock connection as the GTT and GTR. For all intents and purposes it's a non-turbo GTT.

16 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

My car was originally an na auto GTV hence it has the abs sensor at the front of the diff. Previous owner swapped the diff out for an s15 3.69

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Pov spec R34s (ie, without turbo), and in particular auto ones (I think) have that silly diff with the slightly longer nose with the speed sensor on the side of the nose. I'm not even sure that it's an ABS sensor. I think it's actually the VSS sender. Anyway, it's not an S15 diff, it's whatever was jammed into the stupid things.

You would be correct. It is "technically" an abs sensor but it is used for vehicle speed to the na dash cluster

4 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

And you'd be correct. The GTV got the viscous LSD (I'm pretty sure they didn't get any helicals) and the same fork shock connection as the GTT and GTR. For all intents and purposes it's a non-turbo GTT.

Correct. They came with a viscous lsd or open diff with the sensor in the nose of the diff. Brakes from a GTT, shocks and hicas from GTT as well. Only thing drivetrain related that isnt GTT is the diff and gearbox which would be all na stuff

3 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

learn something everyday!

In that case you would be better off just getting a R33 GTS-t diff, 5 bolt stubs and shafts. Similar to what the S15 guys do, at the same time put in a proper LSD centre as the viscous centre is junk.

yep thats the plan now. only problem is theyre impossible to find. I wanted to see if the crown and pinion from a non abs would fit cause those are a dime a dozen. There's a guy selling a non abs 4.11 with axles and a 2 way for cheap as f**k but wont suit my car unfortunately :(. Just gotta stay on the hunt for an abs diff and axles when they do pop up. For now just gonna rebuild my 6 bolt axles and take it easy on the car until i can get a new diff and axles

46 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Is it a S15 helical diff? if so they're decent.

Just a few idiosyncrasies to deal with when going up driveways when 1x wheel is off the ground, etc.

it is indeed a helical. it feels nice on the road but the ratio is way too long for me and I like to drift the car. I need a proper lsd and stronger axles for the amount of abuse this thing gets ahahaha. Also doesn't help that im a stance boi that has air suspension so my car is sacked to the ground. Diff always one wheel peels when im going up my driveway which is annoying as f**k

2 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Use the handbrake to load it up!

Could try a S15 Auto LSD, brings it to a 3.9

Tried that ahahah, thats what broke my inner cv joint. Handbrake + clutch kick and then broke the cv joint bearing

1 minute ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Sounds like an issue with the car's height than anything else.

The car itself when driving doesn't sit too low. Front bumper is probably 80mm off the ground but chassis rails and everything else sits at least 120mm off the ground. Could possibly be the alignment settings I have now are pulling the axles out of the diff/hubs a bit but its all basically factory specs