SAU Community

HyperGear vs Pulsar Turbo RB25DET

Hi! 

I’m looking to replace my current turbo on my S1 RB25DET in order to make 600HP but maintain responsiveness. I’m looking at the HyperGear ATR43SS-3 in T3 .63 A/R or the Pulsar PSR3576 Gen2 T3 .82 A/R. I’m still learning how turbo sizes effect lag, response, and power band. I’m looking to see if anyone can share their experience with either of these turbos or can recommend another to meet my goal?

These are my mods:

• Running 91 octane most of the time and occasionally E85 on track days

• top mount twin scroll manifold 
• 44mm external wastage 
• 1300CC fuel injectors 
• mishimoto intercooler M-line 
• 3in intercooler pipes 
• g-reddy intake manifold 
• link g4+ 
• NZWiring trigger kit 
• GTR R35 coilpacks 
•  built bottom and top 
• 4” down-pipe and exhaust 

Edited by Eric0
Added type of engine

30 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Hey Eric, it will help to put your location in your profile. 91 Octane is the lowest quality fuel available in Australia so I'm thinking maybe you mean US 91 not Australian

Hi! That is correct. 91 Octane US. probably similar to P98 AUS. 

I’ll update my location 

• Like 1

93US is 98RON. 91 is a little on the low side to try to push to 600HP, but at least you can control boost to something more conservative when you're not on the good stuff.

Also, we should check. Is that 600HP at the flywheel? Or using the usual pony power yielded by US roller dynos?

10 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

93US is 98RON. 91 is a little on the low side to try to push to 600HP, but at least you can control boost to something more conservative when you're not on the good stuff.

Also, we should check. Is that 600HP at the flywheel? Or using the usual pony power yielded by US roller dynos?

Gotcha! Thank you for the correction. 

The goal would be 600 bald eagle (screech) pony power yielded on a roller dyno, but I’m more interested in responsiveness at low RPM and full-boost before 4000RPM. 

well....I'm no turbo selection expert so I'll leave that to others, looks like you've got what you need from a supporting mods side though including the twin scroll manifold; that means you really want a twin scroll turbo to not waste the advantage, it will make the same boost/power a couple of hundred rpm sooner than a single scroll turbo

12 minutes ago, Duncan said:

well....I'm no turbo selection expert so I'll leave that to others, looks like you've got what you need from a supporting mods side though including the twin scroll manifold; that means you really want a twin scroll turbo to not waste the advantage, it will make the same boost/power a couple of hundred rpm sooner than a single scroll turbo

Awesome! Thank you for the confirmation. We’ll see if anyone has experience with HyperGear, Pulsar, or other turbo brands with good response and overall power. 

After more research, I’m leaning towards the HyperGear ATR43SS3 ProR with .63 turbine. This a dyno graph from an RB25DET Neo with following mods:

• 1650cc injectors

• adaptronic plug-in ECU

• 600x300x81mm Intercooler

• 3in exhaust 

• 4in downpipe 

• R35 GTR Coilpacks 

• twin scroll manifold 

• twin 50mm wastegate 

What do you think?

39C11004-0D5A-40D9-973F-1372A4A43C38.png