SAU Community

HyperGear vs Pulsar Turbo RB25DET

Eric0

GTX series turbos, albeit reliable are quite dated now.

I run a Garrett GTX3576R Gen 2 with a T3 1.01 divided housing and I get 0.8bar of boost by 4000rpm and about 4600rpm is when it's all in (1.8bar) on a 2.5L, VCT NEO, 264/272 cams + usual mods.

Makes a sensible 437kW on E85. I do rev the motor to 8600rpm but at about 7500rpm or so it's not making anymore power.

If I had the opportunity to do it again, I would get a Turbosmart 6262 or a Garrett G35-900. Probably same response but will go 500kW+

4 hours ago, Eric0 said:

I’m thinking of parring the G30-660 with a T3 .82 twinscroll. What do you think? 

Which brand turbine housing are you getting? 

Garrett seem to have dropped focus on anything twin scroll as of late. They only have it in T4 1.06.

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Which brand turbine housing are you getting? 

Garrett seem to have dropped focus on anything twin scroll as of late. They only have it in T4 1.06.

That’s what I’m noticing… seems like a popular size is 0.82 A/R, I’m considering this:

T3 twinscroll .82AR, but I’m unsure what brand because I’m not seeing Garett having the option.  

Awwww, the 7670 was the best turbo I ever had! But it (and the 660) is probably 'too big'. It also does come in twinscroll and T4, waaaah, return the Garrett!

Realistically either is going to be great, presumably you can find a suitable housing for the rear. I had a T4 1.05 rear with the EFR (it's the only option, too) and it was great response wise, but I also had a 2.8.

Garrett's 1.05 might be alright? I mean they make it for a reason after all. Surely they don't expect the G30-660 to be suitable for like a 4L motor only and couldn't conceive of having a smaller housing for a smaller motor...

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

GTX series turbos, albeit reliable are quite dated now.

I run a Garrett GTX3576R Gen 2 with a T3 1.01 divided housing and I get 0.8bar of boost by 4000rpm and about 4600rpm is when it's all in (1.8bar) on a 2.5L, VCT NEO, 264/272 cams + usual mods.

Makes a sensible 437kW on E85. I do rev the motor to 8600rpm but at about 7500rpm or so it's not making anymore power.

If I had the opportunity to do it again, I would get a Turbosmart 6262 or a Garrett G35-900. Probably same response but will go 500kW+

Those are some serious numbers! Based on the input I’ve received, seems like the G-series would be the move for same power and response 🙌🏾

Thanks for sharing, and confirming that a G-series turbo is the move! I can post my before and after dyno results and see what changes going from a GTX to G-series has 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Awwww, the 7670 was the best turbo I ever had! But it (and the 660) is probably 'too big'. It also does come in twinscroll and T4, waaaah, return the Garrett!

Realistically either is going to be great, presumably you can find a suitable housing for the rear. I had a T4 1.05 rear with the EFR (it's the only option, too) and it was great response wise, but I also had a 2.8.

Garrett's 1.05 might be alright? I mean they make it for a reason after all. Surely they don't expect the G30-660 to be suitable for like a 4L motor only and couldn't conceive of having a smaller housing for a smaller motor...

I’m seeing T3 to T4 twin scroll adapters. This should work? 

https://privatelabelmfg.com/products/precision-works-t3-to-t4-divided-turbo-flange-adapter?variant=34085762138250&tw_source=google&tw_adid=&tw_campaign=18293857672&utm_term=&utm_campaign=**LP+Shop+-+pMax+-+Precision+Works&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=8464848152&hsa_cam=18293857672&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADla3MIVCZh3G3-4mL4aDYDUhP9n8&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo9q-2PyEiQMVmA6tBh3enzi_EAQYASABEgIgnfD_BwE

Feels kinda silly stacking plates and adding another gasket. 

Sorry for some reason I thought you had a T4 Twinscroll manifold, not T3! I wouldn't put adapters on adapters. Just another gasket to fail or thing to sit in the wrong spot or other annoying complication.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Sorry for some reason I thought you had a T4 Twinscroll manifold, not T3! I wouldn't put adapters on adapters. Just another gasket to fail or thing to sit in the wrong spot or other annoying complication.

Well… maybe I do go back and look into the 7670? I’m seeing a .72 T3 twinscroll option. 

how does the spool compare to the g30-660 series?  

26 minutes ago, Eric0 said:

I’m seeing T3 to T4 twin scroll adapters. This should work? 

Issue with this are gaskets failures (x2) as mentioned above also it raises the turbo up further which may cause packaging issues etc.

I suppose if you have an experienced fabricator around, you could cut off the T3 flange and weld a T4 divided flange.

Another option (probably better) is to find an experienced turbo builder and they can machine a turbine housing to suit.

I would even ask Tao at Hypergear to machine and send one over to you. Might end up cheaper for you.

15 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Issue with this are gaskets failures (x2) as mentioned above also it raises the turbo up further which may cause packaging issues etc.

I suppose if you have an experienced fabricator around, you could cut off the T3 flange and weld a T4 divided flange.

Another option (probably better) is to find an experienced turbo builder and they can machine a turbine housing to suit.

I would even ask Tao at Hypergear to machine and send one over to you. Might end up cheaper for you.

I’ll reach out to him and see what options we have on building a custom housing. I’ll report back 

Ah, yes. I forgot that part.

At this point I would concur with the earlier suggestion of having the manifold modded to get a T4 TS flange put on. I don't think there is a T3 TS housing option for these.

On top of that, there is the whole problem of what is your expectation for a wastegate?

Edited by GTSBoy