SAU Community

RB25DET NEO Turbo water return line

shortyboy

Im in the process of swapping out turbos for a Hypergear ATR43SS-2. I bought a water/oil line kit from Mamba, for Garret GT30, according to Tao. All fittings fit properly, except for the water return line. It has a -AN fitting to hose barb. From what I see, I need to remove hardline and install hose barb fitting to rubber line behind the head. I located the rubber line but is there an easier way to gain access without taking valve cover or intake manifold off?

Do you have a link to the kit you bought?

I don't have anything helpful to contribute other than suggesting to make sure that you do it right. It's a pain now, but it will be even more of a pain down the line if you have to fix it again. I've been ignoring a small leak on that return line fitting in my car. Still weighing up what to do with it.

Jonny @Dose Pipe Sutututu has routed it back to the front of the engine to make it less painful. See this and following comments in his build thread. Not sure how it has been holding up since though.

I've driven it around "in da hooodd" and it seems ok, have driven it around with the A/C on as well to generate more heat. So far no leaks.

Yet to do a long drive OR a track day in it, so both will be the tests.

I think if I were to do it again, I would just plumb the water return straight into the intake manifold's bleed ports (un-used) on the top side, noting that I have an aftermarket one.

I hope this works well, because I cannot be fked working on the car ever again :D 

In terms of your usual highflow kit, I would just return the water to the hardline behind the head.

• Like 1

It is possible to connect to that hose without removing the valve cover or inlet plenum, but it is tricky. I have the water line I made for my ATR43 hooked up there. You might find that the old hose is perished and gets damaged during install, so it may be prudent to get a replacement before you fiddle with it. I cut out the 90 degree portion of a universal z hose (Gates part number 01-0002) to replace mine.

Thanks for the tips. I was able to get it in but got cut up by the brake line retainers. lol. Got at ATR43SS-2 and its tight in there. I bought a Mamba GT30 oil/water line kit, turbo outlet studs, turbo to manifold studs and exhaust manifold studs. Shipping was quick from Taiwan to Hawaii and quality is good. I needed to trim the lower right turbo to manifold stud and grind the turbine housing a bit to fit the bolt and tool. When installing banjo and lines to turbo, I needed to tighten line on bajo first and then install onto turbo, because theres no way to fit a 19mm wrench to install the lines onto turbo. Now, I need to find a fabricator or fabricate my own 4 inch turbo inlet pipe.

PXL_20241011_034634165.jpg

PXL_20241011_034619624.jpg

PXL_20241011_024315526.jpg

IMG_20241009_201054_880.jpg

Yeah it is very tight getting the lines into some cores and I'm not surprised a generic kit doesn't always fit perfectly since depending on turbo and manifold combinations. In my case I used an AN extension which I had to bolt on before installing the turbo and then changed one of the hose ends from straight to 45o to keep the line away from the compressor cover.

You really should either head sleeve or replace the rubber oil return too, it won't last long with all the heat down there