SAU Community

Photo Shoot: its polishing time!!!

Veilside R33

in the unlikely event that it does rain, somewhere undercover sounds great, but i cant think of anywhere.

if it does rain give Ewan or myself your numbers and one of us will call you to let you know ASAP.

on a brighter note the last few days the weather has really improved and the temp is increasing byt the day, so fingers crossed we have a nice 20or so degree day.

i just hope my front bar is fixed in time and not to mention the car.

so does anyone know of anywhere good undercover?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol angus were just posting the cars that will be there.

Ed, do you know where questacon is? its just near that by the lake. but im sure Ewan will tell u exactly how to get there.

nope.. dunno anywhere in canberra except for civic.. but i will give ewen a call... can somebody call me if this thing is canx... coz i'll be at da snow and no access to the net on that day if it rains or something.. 0403482291.. thanx

Sounds like you guys are trying to jinx the day!!

But you all do have a point...

As GTS_DUY mentioned... Undercover doesn't have the light, and will turn out pretty shit.

Plus... after spending all of Saturday Polishing mah Car, i aint goin out in the rain.

Maybe well just have to postpone. Pitty but maybe.

Just all Fingers, toes, thumbs, and balls crossed that its a great day.

these flags by the lake? :P

this was another cruise when kamikazee was in town..

Ed, just head for the National Library or National Gallery and then head towards to lake and you'll find the spot :P

17558479.jpg

17558982.jpg

these flags by the lake? :P

this was another cruise when kamikazee was in town..

Ed, just head for the National Library or National Gallery and then head towards to lake and you'll find the spot :)

17558479.jpg  

17558982.jpg

so i head towards the parliament house? ... do i go around it? where do i go from there?

say your going towards parliment house from the city. (thats commonwealth av)

just over the bridge ( its b4 parliment house, bridge ends approx 500mtrs b4) there is a left hand turn, and just after the turn there are traffic lights, go through the lights....(now someone will have take it from here)

say your going towards parliment house from the city. (thats commonwealth av)

just over the bridge ( its b4 parliment house, bridge ends approx 500mtrs b4) there is a left hand turn, and just after the turn there are traffic lights, go through the lights....(now someone will have take it from here)

hahaha how bout i call someone to come and get me... i will be coming from gungahlin.. ewen... you prepared to leave to come and get me? or anyone else?

Guys just a suggestion with your photos. Ive been reading that youll be taking them around midday... dont.

If you want decent pics, try mid-late afternoon. The light is low, minimal shadowing, and if taken correctly the even the most dirtiest car can look like a deep colour. Or if the quite an over-cast day... then any time will do.

The other thing is, get down to the level of the car itself. Its crazy to stand up and take the pic, your results will make the car look small and weak, by getting down and taking the pics at the height of the car will make the car look like the beast it is. :(

Depending on who you talk to, some people like flash, others dont. If your camera is able to be manualised, Id suggest no flash, but increase the duration the lens stays open. [even use a tripod if you have one]

If you want the flags to stand out or anything else in the background and your camera allows it, increase the depth of field. If you want that blurred background effect decrease it. Same goes with those pics with the cars all lined up... to make sure the last car is reasonably clear as well, youll need high depth of field [again, if your camera can do it]

But all-in-all, lighting is your priority. Youll just need to look in a car mag and see the differences in lighting used. Those deep, crystal clear, no shadow professional pics usually are made first thing at sunrise or last thing sunset. Those pics with the harsh contrast, big undercar shadows and glaring sun reflections on the body are usaully done at midday when the sun aint your friend.

Hmm, my website shows what I mean about low level lighting... all the pics at the airport were taken at 730pm during day light saving, and the gold pics were created at 6pm daylight saving too [the gold is due to the smoke of the big bushfires]

www.geocities.com/gtir_94/GTIR.html

just some advice if your after something spesh ;)

oh yeah, IF you ever do take pics under flouro white lights without a flash, ie, undercover areas and carparks, youll get nasty green effect. So use your flash.

Edit: Spose I better put a disclaimer before someone takes my post the wrong way or want to prove something...Im not a pro, I do photography as part of my forensic degree, and have done different experiments over years with my cars and different lighting and angles etc.

A good example of lighting is the pics that [i think] Shell posted of the skyline meet sometime ago.... The top pic, its cloudy, the cars look deep, and everything has a flow about it... the bottom pic [with the R31] has the sun smashing onto it, and the shadowing under the cars and the sun relfection just makes the pic look cheap.

Thanks man,

A tirpod will only be best used if the light is low and you have your camera [sLR] on a shutter speed of less than 1/30. Meaning the lower the shutter speed, and longer the shutter will stay open, and if your holding your camera and you move ever so slightly you'll blur the pic. But it all depends on the day.

Thanx 4 the advice mate..... Not sure what peopel are thinking about with pro pics, or is someone just bringing along there mums camera to take some.

I have a friend that it doin photography, shes pretty good. If we want a photographer to do the shots.