SAU Community

Buying a R32 GTR

I'm about to buy a 1990 model R32 GTR. Its in mint condition inside and out, the guys selling it cuz he is too rich, and has others cars, and he old and stuff. It runs smoother than my mates 1993 R32 VSpec!!!! However, the day i went to take another look at it, one of the turbos went on the guy!! So the gauge wasnt reading any boost , no pull etc......Still ran hell smooth though. He is going to get the turbine wheels replaced with steel one and high flow them too....and not charge me any extra for the car seeing as it happened whilst he still owns it. The car was running higher boost. Do u guys think anything else could be wrong with the car otherwise, i mean if the turbo/turbo are stuffed?? I'm going to get a comp leak test done and a full check done anway....Thanx

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm... I'd tell him not too worry about fixing the turbo's and whatever it's cost to deduct it from the price. save yourself the extra and slap on some deent HKS GT2530's, Trust T517's, or N1's instead of the highflow's. At least you know what your getting.

Its a 14 year old car, the thermal stresses the turbos would have been through wouldve been enormous. It happens. The day I picked mine up (92 model) driving home from Sydney one of the turbos let go. At least hes replacing them before you buy it :)

But do the standard things get a compression/leakdown test done and get a good mechanic to have a look over the whole car.

The cermaic turbine wheel may have gone through the engine and destroyed everything.

Silly comment dude.

Ceramic wheel is on the exhaust side - it'll end up in the cat (or out the exhaust if you don't have a cat).

Spoke to guys at the workshop where its at, and the turbine wheel was in the cat! Like i said, the car still drove like a dream, but a dream with no boost!! he he

I will make sure all the mandatory tests get done, when the turbos are back on.........thanx

The cermaic turbine wheel may have gone through the engine and destroyed everything.

Aside from the fact that this is entirely incorrect as Gav pointed out, just how could the engine still be running smoothly if everything had been destroyed? I wish people would think before posting, even if they don't know what they're talking about.

A wee bit off topic but what is the most cost effective way for me to upgrade my stock ceramic turbos? I am sick of living with this paranoia of them giving in one day so I am starting to think about making the moves to go for steel wheels. Any advice appreciated.

Silly comment dude.

Ceramic wheel is on the exhaust side - it'll end up in the cat (or out the exhaust if you don't have a cat).

If you believe this, then you are the silly one Gav...unfortunately 9 times out of 10 when a ceramic turbo lets go on a GTR, the wheel disintegrates and gets sucked back in through the exhaust ports.

There is every possibility that the bore gets destroyed, valves get bend, oil pump gets scored, bearings and crank journals...bascially the works.

Aside from the fact that this is entirely incorrect as Gav pointed out, just how could the engine still be running smoothly if everything had been destroyed? I wish people would think before posting, even if they don't know what they're talking about.

Maybe you should think before posting...or not post about something you have no idea about. See above.

Some ceramic fragments could be in the engine, could have scroed the bore, could have damaged valves and bearings etc. If all cylinders are a little down on compression, why wouldn't the engine run smoothly?

I was just making a suggestion and trying to help someone out...there is no need to act the hero

totaly incorrect statement jimx ,

when the turbos let go in the gtrs they smash in the housing and tiny pieces like sand get sucked in the engine , score the cil bores , may even bend a valve or 2 .

if you dont think that happens just ask anyone that has had one let go, me included .

i took my gtr a while ago to get a pink the guy took it out for a brake test , when he returned it was blowing smoke , the rear turbine wheel let go was sucked back in it stuffed all the bores , pistons , oil pump , bearings , crank and bent 2 valves .

so dont make statements that you are not sure about.

i'm not for a minute saying that thats what happened to the r32 that he is buying but i would have it checked , i would even drain the oil and put trought a stainer to make sure there is no pieces in there and if i found any i would look elsewhere or budget for a rebuild .

Fair enough if that's what happens on GTRs, it's the first I've heard of it. But if the engine is running smoothly with no smoke, it must be the 1 in 10 that it didn't happen on surely?