SAU Community

Buying a R32 GTR

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough if that's what happens on GTRs, it's the first I've heard of it. But if the engine is running smoothly with no smoke, it must be the 1 in 10 that it didn't happen on surely?

i'll be very surpriced if it had the original ceramic wheels and none went through the engine .

i cant understand how it smashed the turbo and it doesnt blow any smoke going from the turbo seals in to the exhaust , is he looking for it ?

the turbo may have been rebuilt in the past and when they rebuild them they dont use ceramic wheels

How does it get sucked back in through the exhaust ports?

I thought that would be impossible since they are only ever blowing air out, not sucking in...

it does cause you have both inlet and exhaust valves open at the same time and it creates a vacium so it sucks it in .

you guys dont believe just ask someone that works on them .

ask sydney kid , i'm sure he has seen plenty turbos go and stuff up a good engine

it does cause you have both inlet and exhaust valves open at the same time and it creates a vacium so it sucks it in .

you guys dont believe just ask someone that works on them .

ask sydney kid , i'm sure he has seen plenty turbos go and stuff up a good engine

I believe you, especially if it happened to your car. But it's just the first I've heard of it.

Fair enough if that's what happens on GTRs, it's the first I've heard of it. But if the engine is running smoothly with no smoke, it must be the 1 in 10 that it didn't happen on surely?

If the entire turbine wheel broke off, I'd say oil would be pouring into the exhaust anyway. There would have to be smoke, how would you know if the oil is being burnt in the engine or the turbo?

Also, it doesn't need to be blowing smoke to be stuffed. Bearings, oil pump, crank etc could be damaged and blow no smoke.

Anyway...Now that you know that you in fact were the one who "doesn't know what you are talking about", how about an apology for having a go at me when I was just offering some advice to GTR090. After all, that was the purpose of his thread. He didn't want to buy a lemon...so he requested some advise which I gave him

I still have a problem with you saying that it would have "destroyed everything" and that it will destroy the engine 90% of the time. If GTR090 had said the engine wasn't working properly anymore then I might be more inclined to believe you but as it stands I want more proof of your figures before I will say I was entirely wrong. I was just going off what I've seen other people here report. If GTR090 finds out that the engine is more damaged than he originally thought then maybe you are right. If so then maybe people that are reporting blown turbos are similarly driving around with more damaged engines than they thought.

I still have a problem with you saying that it would have "destroyed everything" and that it will destroy the engine 90% of the time. If GTR090 had said the engine wasn't working properly anymore then I might be more inclined to believe you but as it stands I want more proof of your figures before I will say I was entirely wrong. I was just going off what I've seen other people here report. If GTR090 finds out that the engine is more damaged than he originally thought then maybe you are right. If so then maybe people that are reporting blown turbos are similarly driving around with more damaged engines than they thought.

Mate...I said it MIGHT have destroyed anything...implying that it would not be a good idea to buy the car without checking it over VERY thoroughly.

In my books, no matter how well someone thinks the engine may be running (which couldn't be that great anyway with only one turbo) if its had ceramic go through the engine and oil...there is no way I'd want to own it.

I've seen engines that have had pieces of ceramic go through them...they aren't pretty.

In the end...all I was doing was answering someones question. You THOUGHT my answer was silly and you proceeded to have a go at me and tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

Clearly, you don't know what you are talking about and are having problems admitting that you were wrong.

Hmmmmm. interesting thread. You sure can learn a lot on here :P

When I saw Mik's post I thought, yeah riiiiight!

But old enough to shutup when not sure (most times)

and its just as well I did,

or I would be as embarrased as JimX should be :Oops:

Dont take affence -take a gate, its lighter.

Well guys, thanx for thoroughly goin through this for me.  Like I said  I am gona get the car checked properly once the turbos are back on....fingers crossed!!!!!

If I were you I would do the following before buyijng the car:

1) Get a compression test done

2) Get a leakdown test done

3) Pull the oil filter out, drain it and see if there is any grit to be seen

I believe you, especially if it happened to your car. But it's just the first I've heard of it.

idont know how you say its the first time you heard of it there is plenty said in this forum about the ceramic turbine wheels braking and going in the engine just do a search and you will see.

anyone boosting these thinks they are running the risk , if it was just the turbo you wouldnt care , just replace it but it damages the engine as well .

you can still rebuild everything but it efects all internals ,its like puting sand in your sump , only worse .

lol, jimx is usually an open minded guy, im sure he sees how it could happen :P or will one day see it happen :P

I remember how surprised i was when i found out as well!! i couldnt believe it! but once u get it its easy to understand why it would happen.

how often does this actually happen? because if there is even a remote chance of this happening (on stock boost), then i will be changing the wheels straight away when i get my car. is the steel wheel the only opttion for stock turbos?

it is not uncommon for the turbo's to go, even on stock boost if it is an older car, such as an r32 gtr if they are the original turbos.. when you get your car, check that is still has the boost restrictor in (do a search if you dont know what that is)

Because, even if there is no boost controller, without the restrictor it will be running ~1bar, and if you add and exhaust around 1.1bar..

at that boost, especially if they are older turbos there is a reasonable risk that they will let go..

just get them hiflowed...(wheels are replaced for steel ones etc..)

its a lot harder and more $$ to replace the turbos on a gtr than a gts-t though.. so dont expect it to be simple like on a gts-t..

wow!

i always believed there wasn't too much chance of engine damage with a turbo "letting go".....! i had the gtst turbo running at 18psi for a few runs

before i replaced it, since i didnt care if it broke (which it didnt)

i have been looking at 89 gtr's i think ill steer clear now, since most of them would of run around one bar with exhaust mods and boost mods at same stage

My mechanic (which I trust) says there is a risk of a blown ceramic turbo doing harm to your engine otherwise I would be purposely running at 1.2bar trying to kill the mothers!

Rebuilding stock turbos costs around $800/turbo. Removing and installing turbos on an R32 GT-R is no easy job and could cost anywhere from $650-850 depending on who does it for you.

A GT-R on boost is an awesome thing though huh? I am looking into a set of N1 turbos. Small, keep the response down low and able to handle over 1bar of boost comfortably. Sounds perfect to me! (cheers to SydneyKid for all the knowledge).

I think there is a few different types of N1's....

but i wouldnt bank on good respnse down low... you would need at least 500 revs more than the standard ones (everything else remaining the same) too boost up... just high flow the stock ones if you wouldnt like to keep good low rev response..

Bit obviously when running higher boost at good revs a car with the N1's will chop a standard turbo'ed car :(

Guys - I'm still hell skeptical

Unless I see hard evidence of ceramic bits in the engine bores I can't possibly see how parts can travel back against the pressure in the exhaust manifold, then through the head ports and finally back down into the bores when the valves are opening.

Just think about it for a moment - what sort of velocity is the gas travelling OUT of the exhaust ports at - friggin' heaps!

I'm not doubting that when you open the engine up that there is bore damage - I'm just hell skeptical that it is caused by ceramic exhaust wheel parts.