SAU Community

Where to get r33 gearbox rebuilt

Bl4cK32

Replaced the rb20 gearbox with the r33 box. Havent had the chance to give the motor any run in kms due to the r33 box making some nice sounding noises:(

Im prepared to take it out :) but would like to know someone, or a workshop that I can drop the box off to, with all supplied parts to do a recon with.

Either a simple service which is just the main bearings, gaskets and seals....or the full hog service syncros and all.....

Anyone know a good quality workshop, or someone who can do a good job for me? :)

To all,

Manta racing will rebuild gearboxes,however Steve is a little pricey, i ended up having mine rebuilt through K&A Motorsport at greenfields,Dale(BEAR) is the man you need to speak to.Goodluck...

Regards,

SKYLINE (Kym)...... :aroused:

Cheers for all the help.

Clint - id love to throw in the OS gearset, but i just want a rebuild of this box done. I cant let it keep goin the way it is, its a bad noise, driveline problem at 3rd and 4th. Ive been told by two different gearbox blokes its definitly the box, not clutch.

Sky30- Bad whirring noise when i get it into 4th then stays or goes with a downchange for a gear or two....hangs around 4th though, gone in 5th. Gearchanges are smooth and not notchy though. Cant go far till this is fixed :( only 150 odd kms on the run in till i get this fixed.....

skyline - will follow that one up :P

other than that I love the new motor, and the torque it has :) Perfect :D this being the only set back....

Gearbox was taken out today and replaced by Joel and myself ;)

35 mins to disconnect everything

4hrs to drop the box, remove twin plate, remove and install spigot bush, re install twin plate and box

35 - 40 mins to reconnect everything.

SAVED $250 - $300 in labour :)

CHEERS JOEL :D (owe u a six pack of Jim Beams) :)

by the way - if anyone else wants a box out and in.....go find someone else....lol

r33 box was in there to start with, well its first time in the car with the new motor. Just had a problem with the way it sounded...Joel went over the photos he took (lifesaving photos :( -see it helps to record everything :() and due to a slight...well mishap....the auto spigot was left in the end of the crank.... :Oops:

Pulled out the r33 box and put it back in after replacing the spigot with a manual one....hope to see by tomorrow if its done the trick with the box...:)

Yes on the ground as well.....:)

Not 1 drop of the expensive shockproof spilt as well :D

im having a similar problem with my 32 atm, did yours make a nasty sound when u put your foot on the clutch and revved the motor? like a rattling or grinding noise (other than the twin plate) becouse the problem i have is that if i really wind out first second or 3rd, i cant flat change into the next gear without it seriously crunching. the clutch is brand new in it also. pleeeeeeease help

If its when you change from gear to gear..ie crunch on change...id say your syncros are shagged. Cost only like $500 in parts to rebuild a r32 box?....might be cheaper to get a 2nd hand one.....

I just got a quote for parts only for a FULL rebuild on a r33 box......cost $930 from Unley Nissan. Thats how much parts are only....add labour to remove, rebuild, and reinstall....

its ok mate u dont have to measure. im pretty certain ive done the exact same thing as you have just done :) My second engine was an auto and i didnt change the spiggot. has made the gearbox seals that bad they actually leak oil out of the bellhousing and rear where the tailshaft joins. Time for a new box i think. anyone know where to get a RB20 box from, or anyone selling a good cond one in SA?

thanks heaps for youre help Bl4cK32 youre a life saver :( by the way where did u get the spiggot from? is it a VL manual one?

yer rb30e manual spigot. $5 from Repco or $7 from Sprints.

Im lucky i fixed mine before it did any damage. I think the box was a little tired when i got it to start with. This is the first time ive run it, so i dont know how mine went before....

Went to see Dale at K & A Motorsports.

Ive persuaded Joel to help me......well me help him :) take the damn box out again, and i'll take it down there for him to rebuild for me.

Now the last issues i have it the speedo not working (sender is r33 bottom gtr mechanical top) Do i need to use the gtr speedo cable in my gtst for it to work??

Powersteering pump making some noises, and hicas light comes on. All problems speedo, ps, and hicas are related...:(

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you found Dale ok,he does an excellent job on rebuilding boxes of all types,i think he was prob trying to sve you some bullshit money that you can on the removal/installation.Hope all ends well?

Regards,

SKYLINE (Kym).....

Yes went to see him. Im going to take the box out of the car and take it down to him to fix. Get him to replace whatevers on its way out, or gone. He seems to know whats required...

Just need to save up a tad first...not high on the priority list atm...but will speed up the run in of the motor if its fixed now...lol