SAU Community

Best Motoring Surprise

Where I see the attraction to the skylines is the fact that as standard they are only around 50% of there true performance potential whilst still remaining street driven. (if you got the mulla)

But how much more has the Spec C or Evo 8 got left in it for the average Joe Blo to bolt on and gain performance?

I've been in a spec c. My friend bought one off somebody who brought it in as a personal import. It is a big step up from the STi's we get over here. One cool feature is it has DTTS which means it has about seven settings between fully front wheel drive and fully rear wheel drive. It also has active yaw control and comes standard with semi slicks. This could be a big advantage if it is a race stock vs stock though. It also has forged pistons and a semi-closed block, Brembo Brakes. It is 10mm shorter than the stardard STi which no doubt shifts it centre of gravity to a more ideal location. Water spray kit also comes standard. It also has a twin scroll turbo. Anyway the list goes on but it is really leagues above the STis we get over here.

I haven't seen the bestmotoring video but given they are only five lap races if the R34 GTR was on the back of the grid this would also be a bit of advantage to the other cars. Also it is no surprise to me the r32 GTR is slower just based on its slower times around the Nuringburg race track than the 34 and I think (??) the 33.

Another point is that tsukuba circuit where it was run is a low speed circuit with long sweeping corners that really favours lighter cars that can carry more corner speed... I would have been truly shocked it the top spec evo and sti didn't beat a couple of older, heavier cars.

Taking all the conditions in to account, I fail to see the suprise.

Also, don't knock the drivers. All best motoring drivers in those battles are current JGTC and Super Taiku series drivers, none of which are lacking in the talent department (except Gan-san who is treated as the grandfather of motorsport in Japan and is a complete loon to boot, he's the guy who used to race the old hakasuka GT-Rs way back when)... and all of whom would take it as a personal insult if they were seen to not be driving to their best. If a car losses a battle it has much more chance of being due to poor tyre choice or other mechanical issues, or being held up by another car.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,

Jae

I dont understand why Tsukuba is "THE" track for recording a time on? From what i have seen Japan has so many better tracks....so yeh the track definitly suits smaller cars (i dont say lighter as arent the Evos/STIs now getting up around the 1400-1450kg mark as well?)