SAU Community

Do you drive with your fog lights on?

Terreto

If you're in your car with your foglights on, day or night, and it's not foggy, turn them the **** off. No it doesn't look cool. If you have those super-bright "driving" lights, turn them the **** off too. Don't be so friggen inconsiderate. At least aim them down a bit. It won't give as much distance vision, but ffs at least other drivers can see where they're going. If you drive around with your high beams on, and there's oncoming traffic or you're following someone, turn them the **** off too.

I swear I'm gonna start carrying around one of those ultra-bright handheld halogen lights, if some farkwit refuses to drop their fogs/highbeams/ridiculously bright driving lights, they cop an eyeful of light. They seem to think it's OK to blind me, and on at least two occasions I've had to pull over where I was to let that greeny-coloured haze that happens when you've just looked at a bright light in an otherwise dark environment dissipate.

Yes, it's one of my pet hates.

How many of you actually have fog or driving lights on your cars anyway? I never had any on my 33, nor my 32

And I agree with Revhead... if you drive with fogs / driving lights in the cities, quote, "you're a pack of arseholes" unqoute.

I swear I'm gonna start carrying around one of those ultra-bright handheld halogen lights, if some farkwit refuses to drop their fogs/highbeams/ridiculously bright driving lights, they cop an eyeful of light.

most annoying if your travelling long distances. i once drove 3/4 of the way back from bundy followed by c/dore trash with spotties not particularly thrilled believe me.

the one and only exuse for driving with foggies on is if its foggy.

i think i may just borrow my dad's million candles spotlight

Legally you can get away with it.

It's illegal to drive with "Fog lights" on, as said by the fuzz.

BUT

If the globes and the light emitted from the lights if white (or normal headlight in colour) then they are considered "DRIVING LIGHTS" and the police have no cause for fining you.

I know of somebody who was fined for having them and he got out of the fine, because on the box that the whites came in, they were titled "DRIVING LIGHTS"

Have a look on all new car literature, they all have "Driving Lights" not fog lights.

I don't like people driving during the day with them either, but you gotta keep the coppers honest.

BASS OUT

So what about the turning lights on LTDs and Caprices that come on when the headlights and indicators are on?

I think you'll find driving lights can be used at any time that head lights are on.

It's "fog lights" that can only be used with parkers and in fog.

To be truthful, when it's dark at night i use them. The reason for that though isn't because it looks 'cool' but it gives you better vision either side of your car. my area is FULL of kangaroos, and it just makes spotting them a bit easier. Still, i don't always use them, only if it's really dark and i know there are kangas in the area, otherwise i just turn them off.

what gets to me is the holdens (and fords as the xr models have those big fog lights now, but i only see this done by holden drivers especially vt-vx and people with 4wd's) is the bolldy idiots driving around with driving lights and the fog lights on when it still sunny and bright enough. i just cant understand why they cant see properly. Also a few 4wds do it as well and when they are following you right on your arse their lights are blinding...

thats my little rant

front fog lights dont really bother me....

its the single rear fog light on hyundai excels that give me the shits! why do people turn them on? do they think it looks cool have a bright light on one side of their rear bumper? cause it doesnt! it looks shit! really shit!

• 4 months later...

My pet peeve:rant:

Driving with fog lights on a well-lit public street is a classic example of wanking that sends everyone else blind. I live in Sydney & the biggest culprits are BMW/Merc drivers. Sadly these fine marques have largely been degenerated by Sydneysiders into 'lookitme' fashion accessories.

Did you know that in Deutsche AMG is pronounced 'AH - AM - GAY' ? :headspin:

I've never seen anyone booked for doing the foglight thing. It would be like trying to enforce a law against Louis Vuitton or Armani, daaaaahling.

Well, I've installed some of Hella's Micro fog lights on to my car. Not really for fog, I find my main beam penetrates fog quite well when they're adjusted right.

No, like someone mentioned in a post above they're roo/wombat lights. I've dodged about 5 roos in my R33 at 100km/h so far (thank god for Skyline handling - I'd be dead otherwise!), it would have been nice at the time if I had the vision to know that they're ahead. They're usually switched in with my high beams so a quick flick and they're off when a car comes.

I don't think I've ever turned them on in a residential area, save to adjust them for the first time.

Oh, and count me in the "Excel-rear-fog-light-meets-baseball-bat-club".... bloody things!

It's probably been said (seriously CBF'd reading thread) but here in WA, we are only allowed one set of forward facing lights on. I often have my drivers on around dawn/dusk and when driving in the country so i'm that much more visible to other drivers. Short of that though, once it gets dark enough, my driving lights go off and my normal headlamps on.

My foglights come on when-

- there is fog (rare)

- it's raining really heavily and I can't see (still legal)

- idiots in the right lane blocking traffic doing 40km on a 90-120kmh zone

Any other time = off.

Cops have said before it's for "adverse weather conditions" only supposedly.

I think this whole argument is getting mute however as the stock audi, lexus, bmw, merc etc lights are getting more and more deathly.

i've been warned once about a year ago for having them on because i was getting RBT, just came back from a wedding, anywayz they gave me a warning and said there can be a fine involved if it happened again.

THEN,

months after i've told all my mates, one of my friends with a MR2 always who always has them on actually got busted and was fine i think $70. these are the standard foglights on the mr2 not custom.

my 2cents.

I have them on... only because my sil80 has crap all lighting!! anyone who's got a cef or a silvia/180sx knows the normal headlights are crap.... I use the foglights to see the ground right in front of me for any pot holes (lol), but turn them off once I get at a well lit area, really not needed around there..... on the M4 in sydney though, I need it