SAU Community

Anyone Sent import approval lately??

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, well still no news of mine being in my hand other then apparently my vehicle will be on the boat 16/10 and import approval is getting sent for the 2nd time this week.

So looks like ill have it here early november. is this correct?

1, 3 weeks roughly shipping ?

2, 1 week for quarentine/customs ?

3, 1 week compliance?

4, 1 day rego?

So if i add that up that will be 5 weeks. that means it wont be registered till 20th november? thats if everything goes to plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Prestige didnt mention anything about not sending the application off before the build month had come along. I have checked all paperwork carefully and there is no mention of it. Geoff told me to send the aplpication ASAP. From my understanding the car just cant leave Japan until the month has come. So it makes no difference when you get the approval if there is no car here to approve anyway. I sent my application off earlier this week and my car is a November build. Its leaving Japan on the first posibble ship. So fingers crossed everything goes to plan.

Prestige didnt mention anything about not sending the application off before the build month had come along. I have checked all paperwork carefully and there is no mention of it. Geoff told me to send the aplpication ASAP. From my understanding the car just cant leave Japan until the month has come. So it makes no difference when you get the approval if there is no car here to approve anyway. I sent my application off earlier this week and my car is a November build. Its leaving Japan on the first posibble ship. So fingers crossed everything goes to plan.

Yeh it's not exactly clear from the app docs, but DOTARS issued an advisory late last year which states:

• Vehicles 15 years or older must be at least 15 years old at time of making an application. For example if the vehicle is manufactured in the month of November 1988, then an application cannot be made until November 2003.

Here's a link to the original Word doc:

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/15_y...ar_vehicles.doc

That said some people have been successful with their applications going in early.

Godzilla32: from the email I got from Geoff after my car was purchased:

Your Import Approval is the next important item, however as the vehicle was manufactured in 1989 and will not be classified as 15 years old until the exact month of manufacture in 2004, this month is the first date that you can apply for your Import Approval (DOTARS will not accept it in advance). (My emphasis added)

LW.

Well that sounds fair enough but this is wat he emailed me after i bought mine..haha

Congratulations on your new vehicle. The invoice from the supplier will follow by e-mail tomorrow. The Japanese deregistration papers will be available in a few days. I have attached a screen dump of the Nissan system showing the build date, which would probably be sufficient proof of build date without the dereg papers if you want to send away your application for Import Approval before the dereg papers are available.

So kinda weird i thought. I waited for the deregistration papers and sent it in...

From reading what other guys have written (and this is speculation of course) that if your app is received prior to when they can begin processing, it is stored in a 'Pending' file and becomes easily left out and the lowest priority.

Deren I don't understand why everyone feels the need to tread on eggshells with DOTARS. I would have thought that everyone should be doing exactly what you've done and they (DOTARS) process it at an appropriate time - just like thousands of organisations manage to do every day. Government departments are so bizarre (I work for one)(but that's not why they're bizarre) in the sense that if they were a private company they would have gone into receivership very soon after creation and really only exist through continual propping via federal dollars.

Stipulating that apps will only be received in the month of manufacture seems like they like to set themselves up with a surging workload. Flat out for two weeks then nothing for two weeks. Well once again I'd say that 'flat out' would be subject to debate...

Why not have an online version?

My 2.2c

Mark

PS Lucien did the steam cleaning get rid of that mould?

*snip*

:werd:

I would add a few things too. First off, most people working in the public service are decent, hard-working, individuals who generally don't try to make your life difficult. However, the public service (and the individuals in it) are totally committed to following proceedure. Why? Because its what covers your arse in the P.S. If you don't follow proceedure you are likely to be held accountable; follow it and if there is a stuff up, someone up the chain (ultimately the minister, though that really happens) is responsible.

In the context of Import Approvals I therefore so no reason to try and push your luck. Sure, they *may* process it early but they are just as likely to try and operate (exactly) within the rules and regulations. Why should any particular DOTARS employee go out their way to help you if, at some time down the track, a complaint might be lodge if something goes wrong, and their job is under threat?

Mark: Not sure, should hopefully know later today if AQIS OK's the car at Hobbs. The steam cleaning shouldn't actually remove the mould -- although I think the docket also instructed Hobbs to vacuum it -- but should kill the bacteria.

LW.